Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotswolds riding
  • ajt123
    Free Member

Hi,

Am considering moving the family up to North Oxfordshire. What is the riding like in the Cotswolds?

Am familiar with the Chilterns and the Ridgeway down South, plus FoD – but not Cotswolds.

Anything good?

Cheers, Alex

kayak23

There’s loads of great xc, a bit of short dh tracks, 417 project too (I did a loop last weekend that started off from above the bike park)

It gets muddy and claggy in the winter but if you get to know the area you can choose your rides carefully.

I have almost knocked off all of the rides from mtb Foodie, which have been great. I download the gpx and stick it on my wahoo.

Cotswold mountain biking routes

It’s got some great riding here and there.

doomanic

I know I’m not a huge fan of XC, even with the eeb, but I’ve been riding with the Cheltenham club for the last year and find it pretty uninspiring to be honest; far too much tarmac and boring bridleways. Perhaps it’s just not for me?

kayak23

No you’re right. The epic descents are few and far between, but it’s a nice area anyway and if it’s your closest option, it’s ok.

IHN

For old-fashioned XC bumbling on byways, bridleways and country lanes, something once referred to on here as ‘pony trekking on two wheels’ before the marketing men rechristened it ‘Gravel’, around pretty countryside with nice pubs, it’s fab.

If you’re a balls-out gnaar-shredder, you may be disappointed. The Stroud Valleys area probably gives the best gnaar, the rest of the ‘Wolds are more bimbly.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Few downhill runs up Lecky hill which are pretty steep in places and there are some good ones of the Race track in Cranham woods which most members of CC will not do its pretty good overall for XC and gravel riding just very muddy at present what isn’t for the best tracks in one area you cant beat the FOD which also is a mud bath at present Malvern hills is rockier but very busy with walkers theres a lot worse places to ride.

Trimix
    Free Member

Good for XC riding (when its dry), proper long days out and if you dont mind cheeky, then its not all boring Bridleways / country lanes 🙂

I can imagine that a proper cycling club may not endorse riding cheeky.

There are also some good spots scattered about for a bit more gnarr, but sure, its not the FoD. Round the Stroud area there are quite a few good places for getting out of your comfort zone.

It has a steep western edge, lots of rolling hills not too different to the Chilterns and a few spots here and there to entertain you. Lots of nice village pubs to stop in post ride. For a long summers day out its hard to beat for XC.

jameso

Cheltenham club for the last year and find it pretty uninspiring to be honest; far too much tarmac and boring bridleways. Perhaps it’s just not for me?

Club’s prob just playing safe/legal as said above. There’s some great stuff not far from Cheltenham – Birdlip way over towards Edge, Cranham and Standish along that escarpment. Can carry it on all the way through Selsley towards Dursley and ride back along mostly different trails for a really big day out. Nothing ‘enduro’ but lots of good singletrack and some fun descents.

I don’t know N Oxfordshire area so well for MTB trails, only ride through there on the gravel or road bike. It’s more rolling hills there until you get towards Winchcombe or Cheltenham. Lovely area to ride though.

Trimix
    Free Member

There are some small patches worth a ride in North Oxfordshire, but not worth a long drive for.

Where exaclty are you going to be ?

doomanic

They’re not as squeaky clean as you’d expect…

I’ve ridden most of the gnarr mentioned, but not all the tracks off the Racetrack. Yet. The dull/gnarr ratio is all wrong though.

jkomo

I live in North Oxfordshire, we have loads of mountain biking. Go west you have Bike park wales and FOD, North is Cannock, south to Swinley.
    Nothing from the door I’m afraid but fields and tracks.
    Roads are pretty good.

qwerty
    Free Member

Stroud valleys can offer a few fun bits, but you have to link them together by road & not be adverse to some 100 mtr +/- steep climbs.

qwerty
    Free Member

Oh – and you need to find ’em!

qwerty
    Free Member

Oh – and it’s a mess at the moment, it’ll be a real slog. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a hard frost Sunday so I can actually get out and ride my MTB without getting covered in mud.

The area rides best when dryer that it is at present.

ajt123
    Free Member

Am thinking Woodstock.

Thanks for all the tips and replies. Really helpful.

Might hold off that long travel full suss purchase! Rigid + here we come!

Ta. Alex

jkomo

Woodstock is nice. Where will you be working. I’m about 10 miles north.
    PM me if you need in depth info

dan2406

We do a ride twice a week out of Witney. (Look us up on Facebook) Some good bridalways and paths around Stonesfield and Charlbury. Also out near winchcombe they do Hell of the North each year which is good. Can’t beat the Forest of Dean though which is just over an hour away.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotswolds riding’ is closed to new replies.