Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Cotswolds #Jennride 06/01/2019 – 50 miles of filth.
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I don’t like mud.

Does it not get cold enough to freeze round there ?

Where I am in the north west of England there’s a good chance the trails will be frozen at that time of year, at least on the high ground, maybe lower as well

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

No it freezes, then the top thaws. When this happens it creates the perfect sticky Cotswold slop that glues grass/leaves/everything to your tyre, which now weighs a kilo more and won’t turn because the slop builds up around the fork. Perfect

tomvet

I would love to do this but I may have to wait and see if I have any family commitments first.  I have fond memories of the mud round there from the mean and dirty xc races, shame they haven’t been run thereat couple of years

chrisrhayes

Sounds amazing. I’m in.

monkeyboyjc

we get frozen mud in the bases of each of the 5 valleys surrounding Stroud, but it thaws on the sunny sides. So let’s just say conditions will most likely be variable throughout the day.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Also miss the Mean and Dirty races, although that slippery loam on a camber was a challenge…

qwerty
    Free Member

I think some of the MaD lot are in, so you’ll have the opportunity to ask about MaD events on the day 👍

monkeyboyjc

I think Graham is in for the ride..

The mean and dirty races have stopped primarily because the national trust at Ebworth didn’t want any more racing on the land. Mean and dirty still exist and have a new venue, but there is/was no course in place so that needed to be built. I believe that they have been putting the course in over the last year, but this will take time.

Hopefully a new winter race season in 2019.

My winter riding has seriously suffered due to no local races.

tomvet

Yes the races were great incentive to keep going through winter, there’s not much else on in the area without traveling miles which I don’t have time for now I have a little one.  Will keep an eye on their website.

mboy
    Free Member

Been out 5 times on MTB in the last 2 weeks QWERTY, aiming to try and keep this up so I’m in shape come January!

qwerty
    Free Member

👍 nice one 💪

qwerty
    Free Member

UPDATE

The team at Endura have made a most generous offer in enabling us to boost our funds raised towards St Gemma’s Hospice & Macmillan Cancer Support.

I’m in the fantastic position of being able to offer ten lucky #Jennriders any items of Endura kit at 75% of RRP!!! What better way to put your cash towards two very worthwhile charities AND bag yourself a bargain on an item of Endura kit that you’ve been lusting over!

Here’s how it’s going to work:

• You email me your item request (I need the item RRP in the email subject & the Model/ Colour/Size/ Gender etc in the text).
    • The top ten most expensive items get selected for order (I’m not fussed if its socks or a jacket, please just get some requests in!).
    • Closing date for requests is midnight of Sunday 9 December
    • I’ll notify those selected for order by email on Monday 10 December
    • You’ll be required to pay me personally no later than midnight Tuesday 11 December (we can discuss your preferred method, I’ll be needing the cash in my personal account to pay Endura, bank transfer or PayPal would work best, if I incur any fees, I’ll deduct it from the profit before submitting to the charities. Clearly there is an element of trust here for me to act in the best interest of all involved & I accept to do this to the best of my ability).
    • I’ll only email those who’ve been successful in the ordering process.
    • I’ll consider any order requests as binding.
    • I’ll submit your #Jennride order with Endura.
    • You get to collect your item at the #Jennride on 06/01/2019 between 09:00-09:30.
    • You get to ride off dressed in some top quality Endura kit on the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don’t delay, email your order requests to:  JennrideCotswoldsEnduraKit@gmail.com

Really looking forwards to this,

Martin / Qwerty

Image result for endura logo

fontm0ss
    Free Member

Well done endura! 👏🏻 Unless I get an alfine sorted and running I’ll be single speed for this…. 🤔

qwerty
    Free Member
    robbo1234biking

Test run for me today on the new tyres. Went with Schwalbe Serious Sam in the end and was pretty impressed with how they rode. Didn’t have any issues with grip at all. Braking bumps were a bit uncomfortable but bike held up well on the rougher bits.

Not sure if I will have a low enough gear though. Haven’t ridden for two weeks still getting over man flu so struggled on the climbs but could have just been me still feeling rough.

TheWrongTrousers

I find myself suddenly available. At the risk of a sudden and painful death I’m very interested, please include me.
    Thanks !

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m so pleased to announce that our post Jennride film showing for Jennride Cotswolds riders will be Divided documenting the exploits of Lee Craigie & Rickie Cotter during the 2017 Tour Divide Race.

Show your appreciation on the day via your donations to St Gemmas Hospice & Macmillan Cancer Support.

It’s gonna be an informal and cosy viewing.

16:00 06/01/2019

daiboy
    Free Member

Ah nice one Martin!

monkeyboyjc

Oooo this is good👍

welshfarmer91

Hoping to attend this if the mince pies dont get me first.

mrted
    Free Member

Since I live just 3 miles from the start it would be rude not to have a go! Sounds like a job for the hardtail, just got to finish rebuilding it 🙂

robbo1234biking

Qwerty – is there a reccomended car park close by? Happy to pay for a public car park. Cheers

qwerty
    Free Member

I’d suggest Fromeside, just off Dr Newton’s Way. You can cut through the wall & onto the tow path to the cafe from there. It’s an industrial area, quiet on a Sunday, and I’m pretty sure (please check) that it has no parking restrictions. After that, check out the Bowbridge area around the canal. There is a multi story car park on Merrywalks that you’d need to pay to use. It’s getting closer, can’t wait 👍

fatbikeslim
    Free Member

I should be there

shedbrewed
    Free Member

As I have actual flu and have been bed-ridden since Boxing Day I’m going to say that the ‘possibly’ is now a ‘sadly not’. Yesterday’s lowlight was almost fainting into my toast. Have fun all.

welshfarmer

You realise it is in just over a week and not tomorrow shedbrewed?

doordonot
    Free Member

Happy New Year, folks. Being another local, it would be rude to ignore this, so I will be there. However, if necessary (knowing the area), I would also be happy to lead an early returning group back to the cafe for cake and stories of heroic bravado and unwavering courage on the trails.

neila

^^ local too but after a dose of Christmas man flu an early return to cafe is definitely on the cards. Thanks for the get out of pain offer.

welshfarmer

Forecast for next few days looks great, cold and dry. I am hoping for little mud and fast flowing trails 🙂

CX or Hardtail???

qwerty
    Free Member

So here’s the information & links you need to participate.

Any issues found, please PM me.

Please ensure you reread the thread from the start, paying attention to all my previous posts & the information within them.

NAVIGATION:
    Route GPX: https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=gpxfgulicoquudjp
    Route GPX with segment waypoints: https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=lkpfdwdtdqxumuog
    Bail out route NCN45: https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=xefoimebqndjtgiz
    Strava segments: If you wish to participate in the ride using Strava, please join the Jennride – The Cotswolds club & enter the 06/01/2019 event, then add the clubs 8 starred segments to your starred segments.

ROUTE:
    The route overlaps itself at five locations (canal, Bear Hill, Nailsworth, Horsley & Kingscote Woods), so for those using a GPS without a turn by turn direction function, follow these simple prompts & you’ll have no issues:
    • First 7 miles just keep heading east & flat, along the canal.
    • At Bear Hill (Rodborough) keep all turns “LEFT” on outbound & inbound directions.
    • At Nailsworth keep all turns “LEFT” on outbound & inbound directions.
    • Please walk through the outdoor classroom areas at Ruskin Mill College, commence this just prior from where the gutter wants to touch your right shoulder, be cautious on the slippery path. Enjoy the locations tranquillity.
    • At Horsley keep all turns “LEFT” on outbound & inbound directions. Ignore my refuelling squiggle at Horsley Village Stores, it shuts at 12:00 on a Sunday.
    • From Horsley enter Kingscote Woods, drop down track and keep going in a straight direction to commence an anti-clockwise loop of the woods.
    • Park Lane, Inchbrook, immediately past the house with Tibetan Prayer flags, hop over the stile & loop around field to avoid the barriered private track in front.
    • Approaching the end, after crossing railway lines, turn left & retrace your steps along canal.

ROAD CROSSING CAUTIONS:
    Obviously keep your wits about you always, particularly if fatigued, particularly at:
    • A mile or so after Sapperton, whilst crossing the A419.
    • Barton End, turning right onto the A46.
    • Turning right onto B4066 at Coaley.
    • Turning right onto A46 at North Woodchester (right turn, across right turn filter, on a bend).

CIVILISATION & CREATURE COMFORTS:
    Apparently, these can be found in Minchinhampton & Nailsworth.

SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS:
    Its highly recommended to use a buddy system, either someone your riding with, or a loved one / friend whom you’ll check in with & thus who will miss you if you have trouble. Strava beacon offers real time tracking for a small outlay.

DONATIONS:
    Remember, it’s a free to enter ride with donations accepted & funds raised going towards St Gemmas Hospice & Macmillan Cancer Support. There will be a few goodies available to buy on the day & a donations bucket, don’t be shy, bring cash (café takes cards but I’m not sure if they offer cash back, ATMs not far away in town).

SOCIAL MEDIA:
    I’ve taken to Instagram as oldblokeonabike and you can get a peek of what’s in store there. Please # any photos taken on the day with #Jennride

Looking forwards to it & meeting folks on the day 👍

qwerty
    Free Member

welshfarmer – you may want to lynch me after the first two segments!!!! Doable on both, bumpier & faster on a CX, 29er HT probably ideal, CX be underbiked on some bits, FS overbiked on others. Its a natural route, gates, stiles, brief hike a bike, real mix of surfaces.

welshfarmer

It would be the 29er HT I rode round the FOD with you back in the summer…

Given the very high 1 by 11 gearing on my gravel bike I reckon the 2 by 10 of the HT will be worth its’ weight on some of those hills.

robbo1234biking

Struggling to get the segments up in Strava. Also the segmented gpx comes up 2 miles longer than the other one. Think it is more to do with Strava trying to convert the files.

robbo1234biking

Also 34 – 32 is my lowest gear. Going to hurt!

monkeyboyjc

It’s going to hurt no matter what gear😀
    It’ll be good to ride on that side of Stroud. Been ages since I rode the Nailsworth end.

fatbikeslim
    Free Member

all uploaded and the garmin only crashed twice… i swear they are the flakiest devices ever invented!

the route looks good, see you all Sunday

fontm0ss
    Free Member

Not winning against my lurgy so don’t think I’ll be able to make this after all sadly. Is there a link for donations?

qwerty
    Free Member

fontmOss – no donations page I’m afraid, but if you’d like to, you can directly at:

https://donation.macmillan.org.uk

and / or

https://www.st-gemma.co.uk/onlinedonation

I hope you feel better soon 😷

dja25
    Free Member

Only just seen this but seeing as I’m local would be rude not to get involved, so see you all there

Now just to decide what bike to ride, gravel or mtb???

monkeyboyjc

Weather is looking good but cold, cloudy but cold, max temp of 8° we’ve not had rain for a few days.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Cotswolds #Jennride 06/01/2019 – 50 miles of filth.’ is closed to new replies.