Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cotswolds (Down Ampney) MTB mid week summer race series
  • qwerty
    Free Member
    MrPottatoHead

Hey-do you know much more info beyond this? It’s close enough that I might haul my lardy ass over there if only to see what kind of course they manage to fit into that space.

Imagine it might be like a fun mtb version of the supermarine cx series.

monkeyboyjc

I’m tempted, just to see if I don’t come last on the fatbike (which I’m guessing I would)….

I’m guessing it’ll be a short course…. But with only 60 racers it could be interesting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeyboyjc

Sod it – I’ve entered the 1st one…. Will see how it is before committing to any of the others….

qwerty
    Free Member

@MrPottatoHead – I don’t know any more, it popped up on my IG feed. You should be able to contact the organiser via the links.

monkeyboyjc

£20 to enter, 1hr race max 60 participants across all cats.

Looks to be interesting if wet…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcySe-5sSJR/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

rak
    Free Member

Same organiser as the Supermarine series, so expect a similar approach. The venue is a 4×4 and rally driving centre so I’d expect churned up ground with a course that’s constantly short sharp up and downs – there’s no altitude gain to speak of. It’s probably going to be a short enough course that there will always be someone just ahead or just behind to keep you motivated

I’ve entered the first one, and will shortly be entering all the others. Actually quite excited to have local XC racing.

monkeyboyjc

Well it looks like it’s to be wet / muddy 🤣

rak
    Free Member

I was at the venue on Friday night (with permission of landowner), if the course goes across the rally area then it’s going to be sticky mud as well 🙂

Course length is advertised as 3K, so with 40 riders entered in advance there’s going to be a few sections where it’s just you and the zombies…

monkeyboyjc

It was a good course, best use of the the lack of elevation. I also wasn’t last in category which was a surprise for me. The ‘tech’ sections were nicely spaced with straights and I managed to give room at most occasions when being lapped 😂

Cirtainly the mud was a gritty bike killer – spent 30mins this am cleaning and lubing.

Biggest mistake I made was not checking AXS battery levels in a few months – mech ran out of juice a few mins before race start so I had to swap it with the dropper battery, so no dropper for the race (but it wasn’t needed anyway).

I can’t do all four, but may well sign up for the other two I can make.

rak
    Free Member

@monkeyboyjc – you must have floated across the moss sections? Every time I got to them it felt like I’d hit treacle…

Good course given the space and lack of elevation. After getting my arse kicked at CX over the last few years, I took consolation in thinking that they were just roadies, and I’d beat them on a proper offroad course. Turns out they’re all good at MTB as well, and I got my arse kicked again – think I just escaped getting lapped twice by the winner.

Next two are entered, hoping for slightly drier start/finish area next time.

monkeyboyjc

I could feel the extra drag in the mossy bit but wasn’t any where near as bad off as others – only bit of the course I was quicker on 😂

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Awesome stuff guys. Thanks for supporting this little series.

I was doing the timing last night and really enjoyed hearing about the course behind the hedgerow, annoyingly I didn’t get chance to ride a lap.

I’ll make sure that the organising team see this thread as they were pretty concerned following the mornings rain but other than the start/finish area being pretty sticky it seems that the rest held up well.

Please tell your mates to come next time, nothing better than a midweek mates race!!!

Entry and details for Round 2 https://my.raceresult.com/196676/

monkeyboyjc

I’ve signed up for the 2nd one – can’t make the third though….

Will see if I can improve from 2nd to last 😂 & will remember to have the AXS charged this time.

Any idea if there will be changes to the course?

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

hahaaha, love the AXS woes – I’ve had the same…

Not sure about the changes, apparently there are a few small ones planned but I’m not privy to the details

monkeyboyjc

Luckily I have a axs dropper so swapped batteries and the dropper wasn’t really needed. 1st time it’s happened to me, I’d been meaning to check battery levels the last couple of rides.

monkeyboyjc

Looks like 🌧️ for tonight’s race 🙄

qwerty
    Free Member

So, change of venue, organiser, day of the week but keeping it local at Frocester is a Saturday summer series organised by Scott of MagSpeed Racing:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ceg-KXXMzFJ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

@MrPottatoHead
    @monkeyboyjc @rak @Adam_Buckland @Kryton57

First ones next Saturday.

🍊

monkeyboyjc

Ah not sure if I can make the first – was going to go to the NEC for the cycle show….

salad_dodger

If it’s at Frocester I’m assuming you’ll need strong climbing legs. Sounds great. I’ll be there for the July race.

monkeyboyjc

It’ll cirtainly have more elevation than the down ampney series 😂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.