• This topic has 47 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Houns.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Cotic Tonic
  • honourablegeorge

Titanium escapade loveliness.

sharkattack

I’ve just been looking at the prices of Cotic’s. When did they get so, er, exotic? There’s some very strong numbers on the website.

ayjaydoubleyou

downward tilted saddle (shudders)

otherwise very visually pleasing. if I lived somewhere a gravel bike made sense, I would be all over that.

honourablegeorge

I’m just thankful it’s so expensive, means I’m not considering it. That Fairlight thread form last week still has me all wobbly

finbar
    Free Member

Looks exactly like every other boring ti gravel bike from mailorder retailers.

lawman91

I want one. I was just thinking the earlier I wish I’d had one of the Ti SodaMax’s they did, but really as a compliment to the Spur, this is probably better, a proper forever bike… Damn I’m tempted!

scotroutes

When did they get so, er, exotic? There’s some very strong numbers on the website.

£2,000 isn’t completely outrageous for a nice Ti frame and carbon forks with UK supply and support, though there are still cheaper options.

MoreCashThanDash

I rode the original prototype Soda, but could never get the money together to replace my Soul.

Then I missed out on the SodaMax.

I refuse to click on any link to that just to be disappointed again 🤣

jimmy

Harumph!

Looks lovely. If I were in the market for one, and had that kind of cash spare, I’d be all over it.

peteimpreza

Same price as a Reilly Gradient……….

PrinceJohn

I’ve just been looking at the prices of Cotic’s. When did they get so, er, exotic? There’s some very strong numbers on the website.

The last 12-18 months bike prices have shot up, not just Cotic. The equivalent bike to the one I bought 3 yrs ago is now about £500 more expensive.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Not a fan of polished ti. Needs better tyre clearance.

And i’m a cotic fanboi….

peteimpreza

This was the main reason I got shot of my Escapade.

“Needs better tyre clearance.

And i’m a cotic fanboi….”

Klunk
    Free Member

names a bit naff and it looks like a chintz merc. looking forward to the cotic pimms town bike though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks exactly like every other boring ti gravel bike from mailorder retailers

Have to admit I thought similar, though I think I prefer the look of my pal’s PX whateveritscalled.

I don’t have as refined an eye as some though.

Name is good. Look forward to the Cotic Ginger next year.

Mowgli
    Free Member

£3.5k?! For a bike with Apex?! Good grief. I’m going to start being a bit more careful with my Ti graveller if this is the going rate these days.

Agree the polished finish looks naff.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘Cotic tonic’

Sounds like a type of epileptic seizure.

metalheart
    Free Member

My name is metalheart and I’m <i>definitely</i> a cotic fanboi (currently have 5, sorry, 6, as in six , cotic frames kicking about and another 4 passed on) but my complete Ti Camino was cheaper than the frameset. And it’s a brushed finish…

also, has nobody counted the bolts on the down tube yet?

You’d need to prise my (brushed finish) SodaMAX from my cold dead hands but this is not destined to become #11.

🤪

core

Another long term Cotic fan here – and I don’t like it.

Polished finish looks tacky to me.
    Tubes look pretty big so haven’t got the aesthetic appeal of steel.
    The price – I get it, boutique material, everything’s got expensive, but it’s bloody dear, and the benefits over any other material are marginal at best.

ElShalimo

Maybe they used the Mr Pledge finish as a differentiator to other Ti bikes?

@honourablegeorge
    – if I could find a Fairlight locally to try, I’d have bought mine and be sat here wishing it was October. What’s your excuse? 😉

kelvin

and the benefits over any other material are marginal at best

Absolutely. The steel Escapade is only 600 grams or so heavier… no way I’d pay the money to get the Titanium model myself, I’d just take the steel one (in fact, I have the steel one). Most people would make the same cost/benefit judgement. But there’s only 32 of the these in total (6 XS, 8 small, 10 medium, 8 large), so there only needs to be a tiny proportion of riders who think otherwise and they’ll all be gone. Just because this bike isn’t for everyone… doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be built. They’ll get bought, ridden and loved by those that appreciate them.

andos

My 2020 Escapade is the most versatile bike ive ridden, im tempted by one of these but tbh cant really think how the ride and feel of the steel version can be improved.

bintangman
    Free Member

Out of interest, I was wondering about the sizing on these (and the Escapade). I’m 5’8″ and thinking a size small would be about right, rather than a medium. It’s meant to be a long and low frame and I don’t like the idea of being stretched out on the trails too much. Does anyone have any real life experience of the Cotic sizing? cheers.

andos

im 5’8″ and ride a small, I would say its spot on, def dont want anything longer or higher. For ref, I ride a Medium Soul.

scotroutes

In terms of pricing, a high-quality carbon fork with that clearance and cage mounts will cost between £400 and £600 (e.g. Whisky #9 MCX). That’s included in the F&F pricing.

tobymc

175cm in a small Escapade. Perfect as urban commuter.
    I’m tempted by one of these….. and I’ve got a significant birthday this summer. Can we have whip-round?

honourablegeorge

scotroutes

In terms of pricing, a high-quality carbon fork with that clearance and cage mounts will cost between £400 and £600 (e.g. Whisky #9 MCX). That’s included in the F&F pricing.

Or 200 for the Brother one, which I suspect is the same fork as the Tonic, or a least very similar.

core

That’s fair @kelvin – I don’t doubt they’ll sell well, each to their own and all that, some people like that exclusivity and bling factor. I’m just a bit boring and sensible I suppose!

james-rennie

I’m a magpie/mug for shiny bike bits and frames, but I’ve surprised myself by NOT liking the look of that. I think it’s tipped over some previously unknown chrome threshold by way of chunky tubes.

on the other hand..chrome carlton

kelvin

I’m just a bit boring and sensible I suppose!

Not just you!

Confession time… I have the SodaMAX… I chose the brushed rather than the polished option as it was more subtle… not everyone wants all the shiny shiny. The steel SolarisMAX it replaced was 95% as good as the titanium version… it’s all decreasing marginal cost/improvements… the steel bikes are so damn good, it’s very hard to justify paying loads extra for titanium.

Or 200 for the Brother one, which I suspect is the same fork as the Tonic, or a least very similar.

Not the same fork as far as I know. I think it’s fare to say this fork would be circa £250 rather than £400 or £600 if sold on its own. The Escapade will be getting the same fork with the everything cage mounts at some point in the future I hope/suspect (but colour matched to the frame).

intheborders
    Free Member

Look at comparable companies, or just look at Santa Cruz & Specialized…

scotroutes

I love Ti – currently 3 Ti bikes in my collection – but much of that is borne out of practicality and the brushed finish needs less looking after and shows fewer marks from the likes of bikepacking luggage so the shiny finish puts me off.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

How would you like a rigid metal frame with rigid forks, drop bars, disc brakes etc to look? I don’t think you can put the parts of a gravel bike together to look massively different to any other.

bintangman
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks @andos

reluctantjumper

Agree with a few others above that I can’t see the justification for it over the Escapade. Not a fan of the chunky tubes and chrome finish either, reminds me of cheap and nasty bikes from my youth and my time selling BSO’s in Halfords. Had the same issue when I bought my Rocket 3 years ago, the black option just instantly reminded me of a cheap Apollo. It was exactly the same finish in person, although much less likely to flake off while still in the box! Made the right choice going for the Gulf coloured option, bloody love it.

The last 12-18 months bike prices have shot up, not just Cotic. The equivalent bike to the one I bought 3 yrs ago is now about £500 more expensive.

My above Rocket for the same spec today (if parts are available…) is nearly £900 more. Seems about right as Brexit added £550 to my recently delivered Canyon and there’s a few years of inflation to take into account. Add in the changes to drivetrain (11-12 speed) and the figure is not outrageous. Apart from frame-only hardtails Cotics have always been the more expensive option but not fully boutique. Worth it though as I’ve yet to ride a bad one!

Northwind

finbar
    Free Member

Aye, should have put some random curves in it to make it different.Seriously, “gravel bike looks like gravel bike” isn’t a criticism.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i would say it looks worse, that agricultural back end is not pretty.

honourablegeorge

ElShalimo

@honourablegeorge
    – if I could find a Fairlight locally to try, I’d have bought mine and be sat here wishing it was October. What’s your excuse? 😉

I have a perfectly good steel gravel bike which I really like, and have zero need of a replacement, and it’s basically the same geo as the Secan, it sits right between the 56R and 58R Secan on the spreadsheet I created during the height of my wobble, just before I damn near ordered an orange frame and a Rival AXS mullet group to go on it

finbar
    Free Member

Aye, should have put some random curves in it to make it different. Seriously, “gravel bike looks like gravel bike” isn’t a criticism.

I don’t care what Cotic design it like. I just wouldn’t describe what they’ve come up with as having any particular merit.

nickc

Agree with a few others above that I can’t see the justification for it over the Escapade

Same argument can be made for any Ti version of a steel bikes though can’t it? I think it looks pretty nice, I like the finish, nice to see polish, reminds me of Zaskars back in the day. I’ll bet it rides nicely as well, gavel riding and Ti seem on the face of it to be a good match,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Tonic’ is closed to new replies.