Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cotic Soul vs. Genesis 853
  • honourablegeorge

Just browsing for a hardtail frame, I’ll put it together 1×9 – it’ll be my light bike, going to use it for riding local trail centres for fitness, have a Spicy for having fun on.

I’m test riding a Niner this weekend, but a 29er would be a very expensive option, as I have all the bits (including 140mm air Pikes) to build a nice 1×9 26er, so the 29er would have to blow me away to be an option.

I really like the look of the Soul, but I’m looking into the alternatives before making the purchase – the Genesis 853 frame looks very close to the Soul, for £80 less – anyone tried it/compared it, or recommend similar?

Have looked at Transition TransAM/Blue pig and a few similar, but I think they’re a bit more bike than what I’m after.

rob2
    Free Member

If you’re going light, why go for steel? What about something like a giant xtc? I’ve got one with reba uturns on set up 1×9 and it’s lush. About 100 notes cheaper than a soul and you get the headset!

Just a thought like 🙂

I also run a chumba hx1 1×9 and that’s suprisngly light even with 150mm revs

slimjim78
    Free Member

you could go for the Genesis, but at the end of the day, when all is said and done, after the dust has settled, it’s just not a Cotic Soul. And that isnt cricket.

honourablegeorge

@rob – I just like steel – the thin tubes, the clean look, and the Reynolds badges. I got a Raleigh Eclipse with a Reynolds frame when I was about 11/12 years old – still remember the excitement, I had worn holds in the Raleigh brochure by the time it arrived on the shop.

Lots of stupid reasons like that, plus practical ones like the comfort. Have a Roadrat commuter bike, like the little bit of give in the frame.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Soul’s rock. I want one muchly. Selling my 853 inbred at the moment to fund the purchase

honourablegeorge

There’s a question – are they worth more than twice the price of the 456 and other On Ones?

Kryton57

George – I own a Genesis Altitude and have riden with a guy with a Soul. I’d say your differences are in the adaptability of the bike. Souls can go to 140/150mm on the fork and ridden/built hardcore. The Altitude is much more of a “Trail” than “Mountain” orientated bike IMO topping out at 130mm. That said the altitude/latitude is a sweet ride, and is getting much praise in its lowest form in the MBR Long Termers test at the moment – there’s a real difference in the feel of the complaince compared to some other bikes. I’ve just ridden mine tonight on dry woodsy single track (I ride it all year and race it too) and its just a beutifully comfortable, compliant and exilarating ride. Its CEN rated anyway so Peaks/Welsh trips will be fine.

My ride here in the SE is 90% singletrack – both bikes would cope admirably but the Genesis has the better geometry for racing and a 120mm for the trail – hence my choice. If you want a “name”, or a rival to a 456, Blue Pig, Evil with sme adaptability, get the Soul.

BTW, The genesis is more common than you think – there are loads about with them that also rate them very highly – its not as leftfield as is made out sometimes.

chiefgrooveguru

I doubt my Soul is twice as good as a cheaper steel frame but from another perspective the absolute price difference isn’t very much in the scheme of most MTBers annual parts spend! Great with a 140mm fork too, despite what the “120mm is the best compromise” statements would have you believe…

takisawa2

Which Niner ? The SIR9 looks very nice. 🙂

What about Sandersons ? The Life only takes 100mm forks, but the Blitz can handle a bigger fork.

I’ve had a Soul, albeit briefly. They are nice. The only steel Genesis I have tried felt a bit harsh by comparison, but it wasn’t an 853 version; not sure how that compares. I have to say, I thought the basic Inbred with a 120mm fork a serious contender to the Soul, (don’t laugh). Ok, it’s got another pound of weight from the off, but in terms of feel I thought it very similar, albeit £200 more expensive.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, SIR 9 is the one I’m testing. Rigid singlespeed, not sure if I’d build it that way myself, but it sure is pretty.

Just had a look at the Blitz – not for me, looks wise. I realise I’m being picky there.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I thought Soul’s were good up to 130mm? isnt 140/150 pushing it a bit far?
    Im tempted to try a soul with my Left Max. If they really do handle 140mmm so well then perhaps I shouldnt hold back..

chiefgrooveguru

The newer one (2010 post CEN revision) is rated to 140mm and rides very well at that length in my opinion.

honourablegeorge

Yeah. Pike is adjustable down to 110 too, but it’ll probably stay at 140

GaryLake
    Free Member

Latitude and Soul are both good to 140…

messiah
    Free Member

Whyte 19 Steel?

damo2576
    Free Member

Genesis 853 here, its great. Never ridden the Soul but from what I see/hear they are very similar (check the geo!). Also had an XTC as someone else suggested, nice but loads more stiff and racy – depends if that’s your thing. Was v light, about 1.5kg i recall.

ironside7000
    Free Member

Had the same (in my head) discussion recently. Soul (£480 with Hope seat clamp) or a Genesis Latitude (£399).

In the end this site made my mind up – Bike Active….thought I was getting a 2010 version although a nice person from Bike Active phoned up and said ‘None left – would you take a 2011 one?’

So it was £345 + and a free Hope Headset (which I was going to buy anyway)….result

How does it ride? Lovely not regretting it at all….although some of the donor parts might need upgrading 😉

honourablegeorge

@messiah – would consider the Whyte, but I don’t think it can be had frame only as yet.

@damo – don’t really want something stiff or racy, I’m more a leisurely sort.

@ironside – that’s very interesting…. although my fork steerer is v. short, so I’ll probably end up needing to use a Crank Bros. headset to save a few mm. Still, a spare hope headset is always good. And they seem to ship to Ireland for free.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ragley stubbing stem will buy you a few mm on the stack as well – if they’re long enough for you…

prezet
    Free Member

If you wanted a Soul (and that would be my choice), there’s a mint condition one here on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250851219350&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

honourablegeorge

@prezet – yeah, I need a large unfortunately.

@Gary – what’s the stack height on those? Have a 70mm Thomson to use, which has a 40mm stack, but I could always flog that and save the height on the stem.

mboy
    Free Member

Soul and Altitude/Latitude are very similar in geometry, weight and ride feel IMO. I’ve owned an Altitude, and ridden Souls, and can’t really tell the difference.

Aesthetically, I actually prefer the more conventional seat stays on the Genesis over the Wishbone stays on the Soul. But that is a minor point.

Personally I think running a 140mm fork on either is a little bit missing the point, these bikes are singletrack carvers rather than boulderfield munchers (there’s the BFe and the Alpitude for that), and 120mm is definitely a sweetspot on both IMO.

If you’re interested, I’ve got a well used, but Good condition, 853 Genesis Altitude frame for sale in 17.5″ now. Only reason it’s for sale is I eventually upgraded to the Ti version of the same!

honourablegeorge

Yeah, 140mm might be too much, but right now, it’s the fork I have. As budget allows, I’ll pick up something lighter and more XC.

(I probably shouldn’t mention the saint cranks)

GaryLake
    Free Member

honourablegeorge: I’ll need to measure it but it’s noticeably less than my Thomson…

honourablegeorge

Cool, have looked at one or two shorter stems, Sunline one might do the trick, although I’ve been on Thomsons for a long time.

dukeduvet

Same dilemma here!

Will be trying a Cotic and Genesis Latitude a week Saturday.

Cy was really helpful in arranging to send a Soul out to a local dealer, it is worth buying a Cotic for customer service alone!

ironside – any chance of a pic of your Genesis please?

superhondaman
    Free Member

Just about to advertise my 17.5″ 853 Altitude 20 in white if you are interested only selling as it was always a bit to big for me so ended up getting a 16″
    £175.00
    E mail me in profile if interested

ironside7000
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge

@dukeduvet

Sorry for the delay….been away…I’m back and here are some pics. Most of the bits came off an old (2004) Rocklobster Tig Team SL. Hope this link works…

ironside7000
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge

@dukeduvet

Sorry for the delay….been away…I’m back and here are some pics. Most of the bits came off an old (2004) Rocklobster Tig Team SL. Hope this link works…NUTS it didn’t…try again…

Photos

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Bought a Latitude 853 in Feb and i really like it. Don’t think i’d swap it for anything. As others have said, 120 is best but I have u-turns and run it at 140 on rougher trails and it’s fine. I’ve been through a few hardtail frames in the last 2 years but i’ll be keeping this one for some time. Personally, get the one that your heart wants or get the cheapest\best deal. With the Latitude you’ll need an xx-44 headset, Ragley do good ones, infact, get the one with the internal lower cup bearings, this would steepen the geo a little and make the 140mm forks seem better for everyday riding. Would also help hugely with your short steerer.

dukeduvet

Thanks ironside, like the colour and a decent frame to upgrade over time.

I rode a Soul and Latitude 10 at the weekend, the Soul felt like you could tackle the alps. The Latitude was not an 853 frame but still felt really great through the singletrack. Deal wise the Genesis wins hands down but the Soul is something quite special. I can recomend Sprockets Cycles in Kilmarmock for anyone wanting either frame

Just need to sell my Zaskar frame to fund new purchase.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gt-zaskar-pro-2007-frame-only-20

honourablegeorge

Thanks all. Sat at work with a Soul frame in a box beside me, so decision made there. Almost went for the Latitude, would have sorted the short steerer thing for me, but the Soul won out in the end, I just liked it more.

rondo101
    Free Member

IIRC Genesis have changed the design of the chainstay on the Latitude from the Altitude to give more chainsuck protection. £345 for a £400 frame & a £50 headset is a pretty good deal though.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul vs. Genesis 853’ is closed to new replies.