Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cotic Soul sizing – what works for you (6ft plus riders)
  • dicky
    Free Member

To Soul riders out there, can you tell me what size frame you are riding? At 6'1" i'm thinking of a large (19"), with a shortish (80mm) stem. Any comments on what works for you would be much appreciated.

I'll try and get a demo but not sure if it will be possible to try the large.

Thanks

singletracksurfer

i'm 6'2" and ride a large (19"). Long upper body (stumpy legs) so got 90mm stem. Fits nice.

Sometimes ride at Swinley if you wanna hop on for sizing.

Speshpaul

6ft with a large. Feels good.
    Shropshire if you want to swing your leg over it.

khani
    Free Member

am 6foot with long legs and a L 19inch with a 70mm thomson and 130mm pace forks is perfect, i spoke to cy before buying and he was very helpfull, worth giving cotic a ring if your not sure, size wise the large is very similer to my large 19inch hl 5 spot if thats any help

dicky
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Khani, useful steer re the 5 spot as I used to own one in large and it was perfect size.

19" it is then. Saw the new Soul at Cycleshow, it's lurvely 🙂

doughboy

6ft 1" here with a 35" "cycling" inseam. I ride the Large size Soul with a 80mm stem, perfect fit for me.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

6'1" – large with a 90mm stem, considering changing to a 80mm stem

Bimbler
    Free Member

Same as Doughboy.

voodoo-rich

6ft on a large, 75mm stem and in-line post. Feels good to me!

iamtheresurrection

Well, confirmation from the other side…

I'm 5'11" and ride a medium Simple. When I bought the Soul, I thought I wanted a bigger frame – so I went large. I'm running it with a straight post and 70mm stem and it's fine, but I should have went medium and still can't decide what to do about it.

A large would be great for you, a medium would absolutely be too small – IMHO.

mcobie
    Free Member

6'2" and i found the large too big (i used to ride a 19" Kula); I've got the medium and absolutely love it 😀

cy

What they all said ^^^^^^ 🙂

The old large Turner 5Spot is actually almost identical in cockpit dims to the large Soul, so that's as good a comparison as any. However, just to throw my hat in the ring, I'm 6ft 3in with a 36.5" inseam and run an 80mm stem with 710mm wide bars and a 400mm seatpost with 20mm of layback. When I ran narrower bars and did more woodsy singletrack I used a 90mm stem. Your hands get closer to you as they get wider apart, so you tend to need shorter stems with wider bars.

I designed it to be the smallest frame I could get away with, basically.

singletrick
    Free Member

Cy your post doesn't quite make sense, or I don't get it.
    'Your hands get closer to you as they get wider apart'
    80mm stem with wide bars. 90mm stem with narrower bars.

Confused.

slowjo
    Free Member

I had one of the XLs (I'm a smidge under 6ft 4ins) and it was fine. Sadly we didn't get on in the end but that was because I wanted the bike to be something it wasn't. When it was asked to do what Cy told me it was designed for…. it was brilliant.

Not sure if that helps at all… I'm not even sure Cy makes an XL any more.

cp

singletrick – as you move your hands apart they get closer to your body (in a direction perpendicular to your chest – i.e. straight in front of you).

therefore, the wider the bar, the closer to your chest your hands will be, hence need a shorter stem. Narrower bars and you hands extend away from your body hence needing a longer stem. Over the width changes on a handlebar, the distance change of your hands away from your body is small, hence only needing small variations in stem length.

chappers
    Free Member

I ride a large with a Thomson slight layback seat post and a 110 mm stem. I am 6'1" (34" inside leg and 35" shirt sleeve length), and think I need a 90mm stem instead. I can ride my brother's medium soda with a 110mm stem and a thudbuster seatpost with the saddle right back and the reach isn't much difference, but the large will fit you better IMO.

singletrick
    Free Member

Thanks Cy, what I don't understand is that if your hands are closer to your body (with wider bars) then adding a shorter stem will accentuate this change (closer to the body still) and make your position on the bike more upright/sat up?

Sorry if i'm being thick

Speshpaul

Yes but what if your hands are on a converyor belt?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

What Cy says makes sense.If your arms are wider apart you won`t be able to reach as far,so the shorter stem suggestion makes sense.

I am 6ft and sat on the medium Soul at the Cycle show and with wide bars,it felt spot on,which was strange because by looking at the frame sizing I would have thought the Large,but it goes to show how different bar width,seat layback and stem combinations have on fit.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul sizing – what works for you (6ft plus riders)’ is closed to new replies.