Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Cotic Soul build, what forks etc ?
  • Northwind

What forks- Revelation 110-140mm Uturns. With blackbox and maxle if you can afford it but don’t lose too much sleep if it means motion control and QR. Perfect for this bike- light, height adjustable to get the most out of its flexible character.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, get some travel adjustable ones. I quite like how my Cotic rides with 95mm of travel. But its also quite good fun at 140mm aswell.

messiah
    Free Member

Dont worry about the colour, it doesnt aid performance.

Amen 8)

Northwind

The black ones are faster and age better (black looks manly when it’s dinged up, orange looks sad) but the orange ones are harder to lose in a forest.

chiefgrooveguru

If you get an orange one with black forks and tie a confederate bandana round the saddle it’ll look like a two wheeled General Lee. Sort of…

saw77
    Free Member

Cotic recommended I go for a 60 or 70mm stem with a inline seatpost as I’m only 5’6″. I can get a Race Face bar, stem and seatpost set with a 60mm stem will this be ok ?

Do I get 170 or 175mm cranks ? I’ve had both on bikes I’ve bought but not sure what I need for this ?

Thanks.

mboy
    Free Member

Cotic recommended I go for a 60 or 70mm stem with a inline seatpost as I’m only 5’6″. I can get a Race Face bar, stem and seatpost set with a 60mm stem will this be ok ?

That’ll be fine. Remember it’s a 27.2 post you need, personally I’d go for a 70mm rather than 60mm on a Soul (you’re getting a small sized frame right?) as I prefer the handling that way.

Crank wise, at your height, you’ve probably not got very long legs. 175’s are overly long for a lot of shorter people, not that it’s particularly detrimental, but shorter cranks aid spinning. If you’ve ever had knee problems at all, shorter cranks can help there too. I’m 5ft11 with a 33″ leg, convention would have me on 175 cranks, but I prefer 170’s as they help me spin and I’ve not suffered from knee pain since switching over a few years ago.

messiah
    Free Member

60mm will be spot on, or even a 50mm stem if your going for wi-ide bars (680mm+).

Defo 170mm cranks for your height unless your used to 175mm and like them.

saw77
    Free Member

Right pricing up my prefered build,

Cotic Soul frame £480
    Rockshox Reba Team Dual Air Maxle £445
    Hope hubs XM719 £270
    Avid Elixir 185/160 £210
    Race Face Ride stem/bars/seatpost £70
    Race Face Sniper grips £25
    Hope headset £65
    Hope BB £65
    Hope headset spacers £10
    SLX 10 speed groupset £270
    Fizik Gobi XM saddle £70

Total £1980

Can’t stretch to that now as she’s decided she wants a new kitchen 🙄 so shopping around I can save £300+ changing to these,

Rockshox Reba RL 120mm £320
    Deore brakes £120
    FSA Orbit headset £24
    Don’t use Hope BB use one from SLX set £270
    XT wheelset £250

Total £1639

How can I get the price down some more ? change wheels but to what ?

stevede
    Free Member

Use the classifieds for some 2nd hand hope/mavic or stans wheels – not worth the £20 saving buying new shimano over hope hubs imo. Juicy 3’s instead of deores, still plenty capable just that they have been replaced with newer versions. Get some cheaper grips, superstar ruffian copies will save you £15 over the raceface ones.
    Charge spoon saddle for £25 instead of a £70 gobi. Lose the hope headset spacers – £10!
    I’ve got u turn dual air pike 454’s on my new soul and they go for about £200 in decent condition on the classifieds.

saw77
    Free Member

Finally ordered some parts 😀 saddle, grips and headset.

Decided I’m not going with Hope hubs, demo’d a bike with them on and the click, click did do my head in. Even if I get some new wheels with SLX hubs and the same rims I’ll save near on £100 over Hope hubs.

thebunk

Don’t forget tyres! My advice is to spend as much as you can afford on wheels, forks and brakes, as you don’t want to think about upgrading them for a couple of years at least…

Merlin have 10 speed slx groupset, brakes and wheels for £495 (or XT for £650)? Probably gets the build under £1500 (or you can go back to the Team spec forks!)

I loved building up my Cotic – took me months to zero in on the right spec…

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul build, what forks etc ?’ is closed to new replies.