• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by 10.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cotic Solaris Max 29, anyone?
  • themanfromuncle
    Free Member

Narrowed my search down to two steel hardtails, Cotic Solaris Max and RSD Middle Child. My local trails are in northern Colorado, a mix of alpine, high desert, big climbs and rocks (hence the name “Rocky Mountains”. Just curious, if anyone out there has a Solaris Max, and wondering what their opinion is for overall fun-factor? I know it’s fully capable for bike packing, and all-day rides, but was wondering just how much on the enduro hardtail does it lean? Thank you in advance.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did have one until recently, it’s a very fine hardtail with similar geometry to a lot of enduro bikes (I had a 140mm fork on mine).

In the end I decided I’d rather have a short-travel full-sus, but the Cotic would still be my HT of choice.

Here’s a blog I did after demo-ing it… http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/cotic-demo-day-solarismax-and-flaremax/

Depending on how sharp your local rocks are, you might enjoy riding it with a B-plus rear and 2.6in 29er front. That was when it was at it’s most capable on demanding terrain.

themanfromuncle
    Free Member

Thanks for the input!

spev

I’ve got a Solaris max, I’d say it’s as much fun as the bfe I had before it, it’s not as fast as my last fs but I’m certainly having loads of fun. I’ll be racing Welsh Gravity Enduro and the mash ups ( maybe the odd Dh race), strava would say I’m close if not sometimes faster on some of the Afan enduro stages(6 feet under and stage 4)

TheGhost
    Free Member

Two different shaped bikes OP. Check the Geo.

I’m considering the RSD at the moment for the short 415mm chainstay. You can get a 2.4 29er maxxis tyre in the back with the dropouts at 415. Check out the Hardtail Party channel on youtube.

I had a Chameleon and I loved its 415mm chainstays

The Cotic is a more stable 444mm.

They will both ride differently. Neither is wrong or right. But only one is probably right for you.

themanfromuncle
    Free Member

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it. I think the Solaris Max has a slight edge because I’m looking for a do-it-all (fun downhill, fun uphill, rock-slayer, bike packer) for out here in the Rocky Mountains.

TomB

I’ve got one, it’s been my go to bike for Lake District mountain riding since I got it, very happy. 2.6” tyres both ends, 140mm travel fork.

I live in Colorado and ride a Cotic Solaris Max, I think it handles everything pretty well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris Max 29, anyone?’ is closed to new replies.