Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cotic Solaris : I didn't expect that !
  • roverpig

I’ve not ridden my Solaris since January, when I finally decided that (good though the Solaris is) hardtails aren’t really for me. I’ve been meaning to sell it, but haven’t got round to it. Then last week I was up at the Moray Monster Trails on my Five. They’ve done a lot of work up there, putting in some smooth, swoopy sections. So, I figured I’d give the Solaris one more outing before sticking it in the classifieds. Well I’m sure you can guess the rest …

NormalMan

😉 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

the frame broke, and old friend came in from out of town, there was a flood, earth quake, you didn’t have money for gas… ?

ratherbeintobago

Go on, then. What happened?

chakaping
    Free Member

Your shorts fell down just as a coachload of nuns was driving past?

roverpig

OK, this is going to be a really boring story now and one which is totally devoid of scandalized nuns 🙂

Mostly what you’d expect to be honest. Seven minutes faster on a two hour mix of the blue and red trails than I had been on the Five last week. All that coming on the climbs. Slightly slower on most of the downhill segments, although interestingly not all of them.

But that wasn’t what surprised me. I expected to be faster overall but have less fun, but it was just another great day out on a bike really. The beating that I expected to get didn’t seem to be there either, not sure why.

I dare say I’ll drift back to the Five; bouncy bikes make me laugh. But I can’t help wondering what some 27.5 x 2.8 tyres would feel like 🙂

NormalMan

Out of interest RP, what set up are you using on yours? (Tyres/fork travel/bars & stem)

I’m not overanalysing 😉 don’t worry. Just comparing notes.

roverpig

Large Frame
    Dual air Revs at 120mm
    Hope/Arch Ex wheels
    Nobby Nic 2.25 Pacestar rear tyre (25psi)
    Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar front tyre (22 psi)
    Race Face 60mm stem (probably going to try shorter soon)
    Rental Fatbar Lite 720mm bars (probably going to try wider soon)

NormalMan

Thanks RP. I’m running 100mm forks.
    2.2 for both tyres but often around 35psi as there are lots of link up road sections, etc.

Also running 60mm stem but 740mm bars.

kcal

My fastest time for the Haggis and some others bits are on the CX/all road bike. Marginally faster thatn the SS and the geared hard tail..

roverpig

I’ve toyed with sticking 100mm forks on a few times, but the Revs wont go below 120mm (I don’t think) and anyway I’m a big wuss going downhill and the thought of a steeper head angle puts me off. A lower bottom bracket would probably be better though, which is part of the appeal of converting it to B+. I doubt I’ll get round to it though.

@kcal: you could probably do lots of the red route on a CX bike too now 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Roverpig/ Kcal what is the Red route running like at the moment?

Is it all open?

Thinking of going up tomorrow before work!

roverpig

Yes, it all seemed to be open. As far as I can tell the red route is the same as it’s always been (i.e. the same segments), but some of the bits that were quite rough and blown-out are now super smooth and swoopy. Have fun.

boxelder

Will it take a 650b/2.8″ combo?
    Was just thinking today that my Solaris with two sets of wheels (29″ fast and 27.5 fun) would cover most trips out.

NormalMan

Yes Cotic have been testing the set up and we’re planning on offering as an option on complete builds in the future.

roverpig

I checked with Cotic and Paul gave the following reply, which I hope he won’t mind me repeating here:

“We’ve really enjoyed riding the 27.5+ wheels on our Solaris bikes. We have two pairs of wheels, one with KOMi25 rims and one with Scrapers, both fitted with the Trailblazer 2.8 tyres and they fit fine in the frame.

Obviously the narrower rims are lighter and the wider rim give the tyre more support, but both are a riot to ride and don’t really feel any heavier except for the initial pedal stroke when setting off.”

I reckon KOMi25 on the back and Scraper on the front would work well, although the tricky bit seems to be finding Trailblazer tyres in stock anywhere.

NormalMan

roverpig – Member
    I’ve toyed with sticking 100mm forks on a few times, but the Revs wont go below 120mm (I don’t think) and anyway I’m a big wuss going downhill and the thought of a steeper head angle puts me off.

Can’t say it’s been an issue for me but then a) I’m down ‘sarf so not too many big DH’s to worry about and b) it’s still slacker than my previous 29er HT.

Literally the only thing I have yet to be happy with after 1 year of ownership is finding the right saddle. Ive tried about 5 now, both from my usual ‘go to’ suspects and also a couple of others. Just can’t seem to get that bit right. Not sure why really. Seat tube angle perhaps? I’m not sure.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Have later generations of the Solaris got improved rear tyre clearance?

One of the reasons I moved mine on was that I found it really couldn’t fit a 2.4 tyre in there. How are they able to fit a 27.5+ tyre in?!

NormalMan

I’m not sure if they have changed. I’m only running 2.2

For those wanting 27.5+ info there is a piece here Cotic news if you scroll down to April 14th.

HTH.

martinxyz
    Free Member

The grip as you brake on a 2.8 is so good. Just got to get the pressures right! I have mine in a pike 27.5 rct3

boxelder

How are they able to fit a 27.5+ tyre in?!

Smaller diameter rim, so tyre sits further back. the issue with 2.4/29″ is the ‘tallness’ pushing the wide tyre into the narrowing chainstays I guess.

Duffer
    Free Member

From what I remember of the Murray monster trails, it’s perfect hardtail territory. I went up there on my 100mm singlespeed HT and loved every minute, hopping and pumping all over the place. The 140mm FS trail bikes ridden by most of the rest of the group seemed very unnecessary by comparison.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Could you run the Trailblazer tyre on a stans arch ex rim or would they be too narrow?

roverpig

I can’t see why not. Cotic seemed happy with the Trailblazer/KOMi25 combination and the internal width of the Arch EX is (I think) pretty much 25mm. It’s on the bottom end of what works, but it should still work. Flow EX at 30mm would presumably be better though.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris : I didn't expect that !’ is closed to new replies.