Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cotic Solaris at 120mm
  • thedon
    Free Member

Just looking at forks for a Solaris build. I’ve seen some 2013 Reba RLT’s on Merlin at a good price, the only thing is they are 100mm and I understand they cannot be changed to 120mm anymore without buying a new air spring.

I was wondering if I will be missing anything not having the option to run the forks at 120mm on the Solaris, for weekends away or just in general?

Frankers
    Free Member

If you want 120mm why not go for the Revelation forks on offer at CRC

I have 100mm on my Solaris and 120mm on the Pyga, definitely prefer 120mm when it gets steep and rockier

thedon
    Free Member

I’ve gone for some 120mm Fox Float 32 RLC’s because 2013 Rockshox can’t be adjusted without buying a new air spring for £75.

So has anyone run a Solaris at 120mm?

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

You should get some Suntours from Tesco, my mate has them and they is well good.

stick_man

120mm on my Solaris with big fat tyres, short stem and wide bars. Great fun and feels very quick. Perfect for natural rides and trail centres, v versatile set up.

thedon
    Free Member

What rims are you running stickman? I’m thinking Arch will be the best compromise?

stick_man

Stans flow with maxxis ardent 2.4. But I am 15 stone and clumsy – you may be fine with arch wheels.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

120mm should be nice. Run Fox 32 100mm on mine at present and find them more than adequate. Also run Stans Arch EX with 2.2 Ardents. The bikes been great in the last year and has probably got more use than my expensive plastic full suss. Just want a reverb on it now.

thedon
    Free Member

That is very nice KingofBiscuits, what bars are they?

I’ll probably run them at 100mm, I just wanted the option without spending £75 if I ever fancied experimenting, plus I prefer Fox.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Bontrager bars and stem. I wanted some 750mm flat-ish bars and they fitted the bill. 60mm stem

woolymonster
    Free Member

I’ve got my Solaris at 120mm and love it! Never tried the 100mm fork on it and to be honest won’t bother now. Ended up going for Rev’s shimmed down to 120 (would’ve preferred Fox Float but this was a good deal).

The bike feels damn quick going downhill and very capable of more than I expected it to be…been cutting about BikePark Wales a few times on it while finishing the set up.

Renthal Flatbar, 70mm stem, Stans/Pro2 EVO and Spesh Butcher tyres – Works for me but God damnnnnn the tyres are a bitch to get on those rims!!!!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

My Solaris is perched on 120.

I got 140 Revs & had a new air spring fitted – feels perfect to me.

I actually ran it at 140 for a couple of months…… 😯

timc
    Free Member

Think im putting 120mm Reba’s on mine The don, will let you know when done!

bikeneil
    Free Member

I run 120mm X Fusion Slides and it’s ace. I’ve tried 100 and although they were ok, i prefer 120 as there are no disadvantages only benefits. I run Stan’s Crests too. Here it is:

thedon
    Free Member

That looks nice Bikeneil, the duck egg is growing on me.

How do you find the Crests (any noticeable flex) and how much do you weigh if you don’t mind me asking?

bikeneil
    Free Member

13.5 stone. No noticeable flex. They are light but stronger than they look. In my opinion heavy wheels can kill a 29er;-)

thedon
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind and I imagine you are right about heavy wheels on a 29er.

bikeneil
    Free Member

And 29er’s love tubeless. Go tubeless instead of spending loads on fancy finishing kit.

scottalej
    Free Member

I have 120mm Reba forks on mine which are far superior to the 120mm Fox RLC forks on my Rumblefish. Much stiffer than the flexy Fox.

thedon
    Free Member

And 29er’s love tubeless. Go tubeless instead of spending loads on fancy finishing kit.

I will definitely be going tubeless Neil.

I have 120mm Reba forks on mine which are far superior to the 120mm Fox RLC forks on my Rumblefish. Much stiffer than the flexy Fox.

Not sure I believe that mate, I’ve had Fox 32’s on loads of bikes and my brother has pretty much always had the RS equivalent (Rev’s or Reba) on his for comparison, there’s no difference in stiffness.

scottalej
    Free Member

‘Not sure I believe that mate, I’ve had Fox 32’s on loads of bikes and my brother has pretty much always had the RS equivalent (Rev’s or Reba) on his for comparison, there’s no difference in stiffness.’

I’m 14.5 stone kitted up and believe me the difference is obvious. The Reba is also much plusher and soaks up smaller bumps better. The Fox is a compromise between excessive fork dive at low pressures or harsh at higher pressures.

thedon
    Free Member

I weigh 14 stone kitted up too and I’ve never noticed it, neither has my bro. Also the Fox damping is much better than RS otherwise I’d have bought RS as they are way cheaper.

You are slightly missing the point though, I never asked which forks were best, I asked what a Solaris rode like at 120mm.

scottalej
    Free Member

Well, we’ll have to agree to disagree on the forks.

With a short, 50mm stem it’s great. I found the handling a bit slow with a 70. The seat angle is quite slack so the seat needs to be forward on the rails as well.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris at 120mm’ is closed to new replies.