• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by a11y.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cotic Roadrat- what year? What’s the max tyre size? Recommend me some mudguards
  • cokie

So I purchased the perfect ‘other bike’. I don’t do proper road bikes, so I’ve opted for this and it’s a blast!

I’ve got a few changes in mind;

– Wheels: Got a set of Hope XC Hoops to make it lighter

– Tyres: I’d like something larger volume, possibly a little nobly for gravel.

– Mudguards: The bike will be used year round so need some full mudguards

So, I’ve got a few questions surrounding the above…

1. What year is the bike? (it’s got the brake mount on the front of the fork).

2. What do we thing is the max tyre size to fit with good clearance? Any recommendations?

3. What guards do you recommend? Trying to work out how’d you’d get the wheel out if I get a puncture..

BadlyWiredDog

No idea what year it is, but I have vague memories of running  29 x 1.75 tyres on mine, I think – Cotic had an optional ‘monster cross build’ at one point using that size. Can’t remember what clearances were like, sorry.

There’s some stuff about the forward facing brake mount on the fork at http://www.cotic.co.uk/geek/page/archive

There was a recall on the fork at some point, but hopefully you’ll be okay on that front. A mate of mine had one basically collapse on him while commuting in London…

I used to use one of those cheapo seatpost mounted mudguards I got from Decathlon, which worked well enough and side-stepped the rear wheel removal issues.

I liked mine, ran it in various combinations of geared and singlespeed and with drop and flat bars. Not the lightest thing out there, but kind of works.  Mine was from, I guess, around 2008/09, but maybe the blue colour one is later.

cokie

Really helpful, thanks BWD!
    Seller says it was ’13 but I think it’s newer as it’s not got v-brake mounts or TT cable guides. I think it’s ’14, possibly ’15..

I didn’t no about the recall, but it seems to apply to forks supplied between June 2006 and April 2007. That said, I have noticed them flexing under braking. Something to get used to with skinny steel forks I guess.

I’ll try some 1.75’s and see how I get on. I really like the look of the WTB Resolute (42c) or Riddler (45c) which will hopefully fit.

johnners
    Free Member

If it’s still got that daft combo chaintug/mech hanger thing then don’t worry about what mudguard will be most convenient. When you try to get the back wheel out you’ll find the oily chain and mech flopping about all over the shop will take your mind right off any mudguard issues. Mine was one of the early ones though, and I didn’t hang on to it long enough to try tyres bigger than 28s, sorry.

cokie

Johnners- no, they’ve moved to integrated frame mech hangers but still retaining the horizontal dropouts.

riddoch

Slightly newer than mine but I’m running panaracer gravel King 42mm and standard mudguards that my LBS had not sks. Never had any issues getting the wheel out.

Getting the caliper lined up properly is a bit of a pain on the horizontal dropouts.

cokie

I got the vernier calipers out to measure up..

Fork spacing: 57mm

Rear end spacing with wheel fully forward: 64mm

Currently running Schwalbe Marathon Dureme 40c tyres measuring up as 43.5mm

I think I’ll try the 45c Riddlers- there should be clearance..

johnners
    Free Member

Johnners- no, they’ve moved to integrated frame mech hangers but still retaining the horizontal dropouts.

TFFT!

swanny853

I’m not sure I’d want to go much fatter than a nano between the chainstays. That’s on a mk1, I think the later models got progressively more clearance

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve ran 42’s in my mk1. Clearance was close with the B.B. end of the chain stays but could have slid the wheel further forward on dropouts to get a bit more.

as for mudguards, I got some SKS ones going cheap from Halfords. Went for wider ones to suit tyres between 28 and high 30’s I think. Fit fine but foul witht he front mech seattube clamp and the front mech cable but works fine. Meet to get some of those clips to release the mudguard metal stays due to horizontal dropouts.

a11y

Looks like 2014-2016 to me. Definitely not 2012 or older. I’ve got a 2012 and my wife has my previous 2010 frame, only difference being the extra disc hose guide in middle of top tube on my 2012.

Rear: 700×42 Smart Sam on a Stans Arch EX 21mm internal + 50mm SKS Chromoplastics. It’s snug but works. As mentioned by others, front mech fouls the mudguard but still works perfectly, I’ve stuck a patch of inner tube on mudguard to stop rattles. Wheel slid far back in dropouts. Quick release/safety tabs on mudguard stays to allow wheel removal.

Front: 700×42 Smart Sam + on a Stans Arch 19mm internal 50mm Chomoplastic was bawhair tight, so I swapped to an eXotic carbon fork. 26”-wheel version, 425mm A-C and 42mm offset (25mm longer and 3mm less offset than original fork). Approx 1deg slacker HA and SA. Great clearance with a 700×47 Smart Sam. Currently trying a Specialized Trigger Sport 700×47 which sizes up bigger volume. Limiting factor is the 50mm mudguard which only just covers the tyre.

Keen to try the Specialized 47mm tyre on the rear too but suspect it’ll be too tall and possibly a bit snug width-wise too.

Different wheels in the pic (23mm internal with the same 47mm front / 42mm rear smart sams):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/243cjHw]2018-02-04 Local Explore 2[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Roadrat- what year? What’s the max tyre size? Recommend me some mudguards’ is closed to new replies.