Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cotic Roadrat- Help/sizing/thoughts
  • hora
    Free Member

Love my Fuji trackbike- ridden it for near on two years but one nagging doubt, its abit too short. Its a size 58 and i’m 6ft2 with a longer trunk..brilliant lower speeds but abit unstable at any speed. What are peoples thoughts on the Roadrat? Is it a heavy frame? Do you feel the weight? Is it very rigid/stiff? Compliant or a mix? I was going to swap almost all bits over and use drop bars initially (wheels are Velocity track hubs on Omega rims- these will fit??
    What size should I go for??

Ideally come Summer etc fit a mech hanger and gear up

happysnapper
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium (I’m 5’10”).

It’s not the lightest of bikes, but I don’t really notice the weight. The frame is fairly compliant, but given the poor roads near me that’s fine. You can feel the flex if you’re standing on the pedals with full panniers but I suspect this would affect most frames and I certainly wouldn’t want anything lightweight for that job.

Love the disc brakes too.

happysnapper
    Free Member

Forgot to add, mine’s the flat bar version.

hora
    Free Member

Ta happysnapper, I was thinking the large/drop-bar version. Whats your inside leg if you dont mind me asking? Im 33inch with a long trunk (monkeyshaped!)

Clink

5’10”, 34″ ‘cycling’ inside leg on medium long with flat bars. Its not light but comfy and good with panniers.

hora
    Free Member

The Fuji (steel) isnt light either however it is very stiff.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I thought my Roadrat was just ‘ok’. Nothing at all that seemed that special about it. Cheapo old Kona with some slicks on would do just as good a job for what I wanted.

hora
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – I’d read into that dull??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s not the lightest of bikes, but I don’t really notice the weight. The frame is fairly compliant, but given the poor roads near me that’s fine. You can feel the flex if you’re standing on the pedals with full panniers but I suspect this would affect most frames and I certainly wouldn’t want anything lightweight for that job.

Yep, that’s pretty accurate, IMO
    They are good bikes, nice and simple, versitile, plain enough to leave locked up in town.
    I find mine very comfy compared to th alloy Saracen I had before, but I don’t think it’s as fast….
    I wouldn’t say it’s boring, just a bike that does what it says on the tin, no surprises. But then I don’t want surprises at 6.30am on an icy winter road!
    🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

hora – yes. Wasn’t bad, just not as exciting to ride as my Soul was. Think I’d have been better off squeezing some 700c wheels into my Soul!

Clink

Mine does the job it was bought for admirably – ie commuting with panniers in all weathers.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think for commuting (which is what mine was for), there are better full build bikes from more mainstream manufacturers for a bit more than the ‘rat frame costs on its own. I admit it, I fell for the fact it looked nice, was steel and was a Cotic. On the lookout for a Santa Cruz Roadster now!

mccett
    Free Member

Im 5’10 and have a medium long for flat bars – guess you will need large short one for drops? Cy usually gives good sizing advice.
    Mine is heavy, no two ways about it – triple chainset, mudguards, seat packs, bar ends… love it to bits for what it was designed for – commuting carrying all my stuff.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Davey, yes I agree with that, Roadrats aren’t cheap. My missus has a £300 Trek which is just brilliant for the money…. But I got my RR secondhand for £390 – Shimano 105 18 speed, carbon bars, post and barends, shimano wheels, Avid brakes…..

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm ideal for me would be something lighter (yet still stiff). Not alu though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Roadrat- Help/sizing/thoughts’ is closed to new replies.