Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • cotic put my mind at rest today :)
  • passtherizla
    Free Member

Oh good not bothered by green, may have had to do something drastic if blue was being made available.

catvet
    Free Member

Taipei bike show, considered by some to lead the market place by about 2 years, no 26 ers on show.
    poss the limiting factor will be tyres rather than frames per se.
    Sadly I think we will be pressed into 650b (the new 26er) and 29 ers by lack of choice rather than more choice.

kelvin

nicko74, make sure you do all the normal stuff so that the newsletter doesn’t get treated as spam (adding Cy’s email address to your address book etc).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Me too mrblobby. The effect is worsened on larger size bikes, especially with the larger sized riders on them!

I know that 29ers aren’t ‘new’, and that folk on here and other fourms have been blathering about them for years, but they have only really started penetrating mainstream this last couple of years.

I_Ache
    Free Member

passtherizla – Member
    Oh good not bothered by green, may have had to do something drastic if blue was being made available.

Blue is the best colour to have a Cotic in 😉 I don’t think I would have been able to cope if there was a blue Rocket to match my BFe. I’m struggling to get by in life without an Orange Rocket in my shed as it is.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

How come Cotic dropped the 26er Simple frame?

Scamper
    Free Member

Think the green should be a Bfe only colour like the old blue, and orange being the soul colour. But Cotic is a business.

boltonjon

Cy – please can we have an XL large soul frame for people who don’t want to go to a 29er Solaris??

I’ve got a deposit ready & waiting and i don’t car what colour it is! 🙂

matther01
    Free Member

I was extremely happy Cy re-iterated his support for 26″…as I can’t see myself ever changing.

Cy – Is your new mismatched 120/140 rig going to continue in the 26″ guise (and can it also be green?)? 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

To me its just another choice. Hardtail or FS? short travel or long travel? Carbon, steel, alu or Ti? Fat tyres or thin tyres? Risers or flats? 1×10, 2×10, 3×10? Big or small wheels? It’s just down to what you like and what you want.

At the risk of boring myself saying stuff I’ve said many times before 🙂 I think this is a bad thing. There’s only so many bike variables it is physically possible to try before buying, so the likelihood of truly knowing what we like and hence what we want before parting with any cash decreases as the choice expands. This makes us more reliant on reviews, peer experiences and – crucially – what the market tells us. With this in mind I fear for the future of 26ers.

(I own a 26″ full susser and a 29″ rigid single speed by the way)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You’d have us all riding about on one bike for all would you?

It’s cobblers to say ‘oh no, there’s too much choice!’ Every single rider I’ve ever known has gone through several years of experimentation with different bikes and equipment until they settle into something they like and become more experienced.

By this context, the scenario of ‘choice is bad’ as you present it is already upon us, and was before 29ers were even on the page.

boltonjon

I don’t think anyone is saying that ‘choice’ is a bad thing

But i do sense that people are getting tired of the ’29ers are king – 26″ wheels are now dead and will fazed out’

Scare mongering at best – i love my 26″ – have loved the size for 20 years and intend to love it for another 20 years!

passtherizla
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member
    passtherizla – Member
    Blue is the best colour to have a Cotic in I don’t think I would have been able to cope if there was a blue Rocket to match my BFe. I’m struggling to get by in life without an Orange Rocket in my shed as it is.

One of my Pals had a whizz on mine the other day, he is now trying to get the money for one together quite desperately. We probably shouldn’t go for a ride any time soon mate, I’m sure you’d hate it. 😉

nicko74

One of my Pals had a whizz on mine the other day,

I’d wee in his shoes for that

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Every single rider I’ve ever known has gone through several years of experimentation with different bikes and equipment until they settle into something they like and become more experienced.

Until the next big thing comes out and the experimentation continues. Are they not happy with what they’ve got? Who’s feeding this experimentation? The bike companies. I’m not saying bike companies shouldn’t launch new products and try and convince us we need them. That would be plain daft and naive. What I am saying is that I see people defending choice based on trying different things until you find what works for you. That’s simply not practical for the vast majority of the bike buying market, so to be told such-and-such is the next big thing when last year something else was the next big thing is a pain. That’s capitalism I guess.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

mind you santa cruz seem still happy with 26ers likes the blur range and nomad

nickc

Northwind, but then I was in Leisure Lakes about a week ago, and out of 50 or so bikes on display there was no more than a handful of 26″ bikes. Couple of Orange full sussers, couple of Yeti. All the mainstream brands they had (Trek Spesh, Cannondale) were all 29ers (Take this next statement with as much of a pinch of salt as you want) The sales guys were saying they were selling pretty well.

Personally I’m all for choice, I think different wheel sizes is a great thing

jmckee
    Free Member

Must say I’m getting tired of this debate. It’s not hard to see that it all comes down to choice and how you ride your bike.

I’ll probably buy a 29er this year but that’s because I’ve been doing some xc racing and am pretty convinced that for speed on our southern xc courses something light which rolls well is what you want.

But what I bought most recently is a fs 26 inch bike despite the hype, because most days I’m just trying to get out and enjoy myself. Who cares if I’m a second quicker!

Another opinion, for which I’ve absolutely no evidence, is that the size of the rider and frame must have an effect on the ride. If you’re 6ft riding a large frame, 29ers must be more in proportion and ride the way a 26er rides for a short arse like me.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I think all three sizes are fine , something for everyone ! but dont phase any out keep all three !

I_Ache
    Free Member

We probably shouldn’t go for a ride any time soon mate, I’m sure you’d hate it.

Your probably right, I don’t want a go on it because that would make my heart and wallet hurt in equal amounts.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’m soo surprised that 26″ riders have not tried 29ers ….cos if they did they would realise they are soooo much faster everywhere …not just Xc but trail and steep technical slopes ……they’re just in denial …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m soo surprised that 26″ riders have not tried 29ers ….cos if they did they would realise they are soooo much faster everywhere …not just Xc but trail and steep technical slopes ……they’re just in denial …

A little too obvious there……

As above some of us don’t change bikes as often as underpants.

I have a collection of very nice 26″ wheels so when I get a new frame they will just slot in. I much prefer the likes of Santa Cruz’s philosophy of not releasing new versions just because it’s a new year. Get the frame right and it will last a few years, tweak anything that needs doing and then re design in a couple more.

The 26″ world is not about to collapse as the last company making stuff will make a killing.

In the end of the day a wise man once compared religion to having a penis. Do what you like with it, but if you start ramming it down peoples throats you might be in trouble.

Nobody in the history of the world ever bought something new and shiney and declared it crap.

orangesoul
    Free Member

I’ve owned a Soul and ridden a Solaris. As quick as the Solaris was I preferred riding the Soul and felt more comfortable on it…just my opinion. I now own a 5 year old 5 and 3 year old Anthem. Both 26 and both brilliant fun. I get pleasure from riding my bike as hard as I can and as often as I can (snow permitting). It doesn’t bother me what wheel size I see on the trails as long as I see a smile on the riders face.

chilled76
    Free Member

“Nobody in the history of the world ever bought something new and shiney and declared it crap. “

Actually I did… it was a DW link 5 spot… (sorry 5 spot owners, I didn’t like mine at all).

Paul

Northwind

Re trying 29ers- I’ve tried some, none were as good as my favourite 26ers. But then I’ve tried a lot of 26ers and none of those were as good as my favourite 26ers either. It’s almost as though there’s more to it than wheel size!

“Nobody in the history of the world ever bought something new and shiney and declared it crap. “

I have. To be fair not often, I’m a careful shopper but not everyone is delusional! I’ve declared more stuff disappointing than crap though.

roverpig

What I am saying is that I see people defending choice based on trying different things until you find what works for you. That’s simply not practical for the vast majority of the bike buying market, so to be told such-and-such is the next big thing when last year something else was the next big thing is a pain. That’s capitalism I guess.

I like to think that I’m a fairly logical chap. Not overly swayed by marketing (although, obviously, not immune to it either). I can test bikes and make up my own mind. But I still have some sympathy with the argument above.

I’ve had an extended test on one 29er, which I didn’t like. I’ve got test rides booked on two others next month. But I’m already thinking that (even if I do like them) I probably shouldn’t buy any 29er until I’ve at least tested some 650B bikes. Even though I can’t really understand how such a small change in size over a 26″ bike can actually make any significant difference I guess I ought to try. No point jumping on one bandwagon just as another pulls into town.

The irony is that all this marketing push is actually making me take longer over buying a new bike. If we only had the one wheel size I would have bought something months ago I’m sure.

catvet
    Free Member

richieokeefe1
    I am pretty sure Santa Cruz are looking at 650b in a variety of formats, they will be out there pretty soon, if only to offer an alternative to the Intense range of bikes

svalgis
    Free Member

It’s almost as though there’s more to it than wheel size!

Don’t be ridiculous!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Nobody in the history of the world ever bought something new and shiney and declared it crap.

do you want a list?

although this is a little less reactionary:

…I’ve declared more stuff disappointing than crap…

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

new bike syndrome 🙂

stubido
    Free Member

Surely we should all scrap the obsolete 26ers and soon to be obsolete 29ers
    And spend big wedge on that perfect compromise of 27.5″
    While we’re on, let’s bin all our 1,1/8 headsets and those new silly tapered forks.
    I suggest a new metric 50mm steerer standard and maybe a fatter front 25.4 spindle.

What about hub braking?

catvet
    Free Member

Maybe 29 ers give people more confidence for a variety of reasons that putting a bigger wheel in a frame gives
    Eg increased wheel base = more stability , longer top tube = possbetter bike fit with short stem, better angle of attack as head angle is relatively slacker than on a comparable 26 er.
    Lower bottom bracket relatively = better stability ALL may give more confidence and therefore speed
    So maybe 26 ers will be redesigned lower slacker and longer to give same confidence levels

mrmoofo

But … it is just marketing

In windsurfing we had fully battened sales, RAF, cut out leeches, soft leeches, double concave, triple concave, swallow tail, pin tail etc etc

In snowboarding – banana boards, wavey edges, soft boards, stiff baords, flow bindings, stap in binding, click in bindings, and something in between everything …

650b will not be come the std – it’s way too obtuse. It is just the industry trying to drive new products. If you were to ride blindfolded – could anyone tell the difference between a 650b and a 26ers? ( admitidly, there may be some issues with thsi suggestion). 20 yeats ago it was 150 mm stema and narrow bars to get through the trees ( and quite bif frame sizes). The it went to tiny fram sizes with long stems and seat posts. The sloping top tube. Now everything is sloping toptube. Raised rear stays. Triple crown forks on everything. Biopace rings.

The answer will be – depends on what you use the bike for and what you peer group tells you.
    29ers make sense for those who like a bimble in the country doing the XC thing ( which, in all honesty, is what 90% of UK riding is)
    26ers will become more playbike / AM/ Fun/ Core – if you want to ride down the Rot Horn , will you do it on a 29er or a 26er? Somehow, i think it will be the later.

650b is the minidisc of the cycling world. Well marketed, invested in by some big companies, but with no real need ….

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘cotic put my mind at rest today :)’ is closed to new replies.