Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotic FlareMAX shock options
  • niceandy
    Free Member

What shocks are people running and finding work well on FlareMAX’s?

I’ve had mine a few months and enjoying the bike, but finding the CCDB air inline isn’t as supple as I’d like. I’m running low and high speed compression all the way out and quite light on rebound as well (I’m only 10 stone), but it’s a bit juddery and not so much small bump senstivity. Air pressure, sag and tokens seem ok as I’m getting close to full travel.

Keen to hear experience from others on what’s good or bad. Cheers.

poah
    Free Member

very odd given the shock is probably the best inline air shock you can buy.

chrismac

Try thinner oil in the shock so everything moves a bit more easily.

kelvin

Drop Paul @ cotic co uk an email… he’s a very light rider and a shock tweaker… he’ll offer up some advice I’m sure.

niceandy
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Will pop Cotic a line.

I’ve not run an inline shock for many years, so maybe I’m just used to the higher oil flowrates on larger shocks, such as the Fox X2 & Cane Creek DB air.

Good point on using lighter oil next time the shock is serviced.

roverpig

There is an essay about shocks by Cy somewhere on the Cotic site. I think they concluded that the X2 was the best.

If you do decide to go down that route I might be interested in your CC as I’m still on the O2 🙂

niceandy
    Free Member

I’ll have a look for that article. I do like the X2, but a lot of money new and the FlareMAX is only 190×50, so not many sold second hand. Might be more Cane Creek piggyback shocks out there.

Will let you know about the CC. Ideally I would like to get a good tune out of it.

roverpig

I’m sure you can get a good tune out if the CC and thinking about it, my FlareMax is the previous version, so I don’t think it is 190×50 anyway.

niceandy
    Free Member

I’m not sure about the Gen 1. Mine is Gen 2 which either uses a 190×45 shock for 120mm travel or 190×50 for 132mm. As the only difference for the CC shock is an internal spacer I went 132.

roverpig

Could it be that the gen2 was originally designed as a 120mm and just doesn’t work was well as a 132mm? It’s a long shot, but maybe it’s just too progressive or something. If it’s just a spacer it might be worth putting it back to the shorter configuration and see if you like it better that way. Just a thought.

niceandy
    Free Member

I had thought that, but it’s the initial and mid-stroke that I’m struggling with. I think the spring rate and progression is ok as I’m getting the right sag and using enough travel.

chiefgrooveguru

“maybe I’m just used to the higher oil flowrates on larger shocks, such as the Fox X2 & Cane Creek DB air.“

I’m making a leap here but could it be that you’re used to riding longer travel bikes?

woots787
    Free Member

I had the gen 2 at 133mm and cane creek inline at whatever settings cotic told me. I also only weigh ten stone. Shock felt amazing, definitely really supple, if anything a bit too so as my main criticism is it didn’t give much feedback. Maybe take the shock off and check bearings are okay and it all moves nicely?

niceandy
    Free Member

Recently did a full strip of the linkages and bearings and all ok, so no added friction there. I will check the shock bushing itself.

chiefgrooveguru, yes I am used to riding longer travel bikes, but not by much. My other is 145 rear so only a relatively small difference.

As I’m just doing short loops on local trails I think I’ll do one of these shock fettling sessions that I usually can’t be bothered doing.

Gotama
    Free Member

Is the new Longshot FlareMax fun to ride? I have a RocketMax and it is very good at what it was designed to do (go fast over rough ground being my interpretation) but it’s just not ‘fun’ as a trail bike. I think it’s a combination of the long front and rear centres which are, to a degree, mirrored in the Flare. So I’m tempted by a FlareMax but I don’t want it to be a bike that essentially feels the same but just runs out of ability to cope with rough ground quicker. By fun I mean i want it to feel like it wants to hop and pop off small trail bumps, encourages you to try manuals at stupid points etc.

niceandy
    Free Member

Good question and something I toyed with, but the sell-off of the Gen 2 FlareMAX frames made me bite the bullet. I swapped over from a hardtail with the intention of using the FlareMAX for local rides where the trails are more fun and flowy rather than steep and techy.

I’m used to long, low and slack 29ers (including long chainstays), so the medium FlareMAX I have is a little shorter and steeper with less travel (but still relatively LLS for a short travel bike). I really like it so far. It isn’t as out and out fast and planted as a proper Enduro bike, but feels more nimble, easier to change line and with less travel forces you to take charge rather than just point and shoot. I think if it was any shorter or steeper then it would be a bit too twitchy and difficult to adjust between it and the ‘bigger bike’, so it works for me and my local stuff.

I test rode a RocketMAX from the factory a few months ago and was blown away by it’s ability to plough through stuff due to the geometry. If I lived in the Lakes or Tweed Valley it would be ideal, but I think the FlareMAX is probably more suitable and fun for most of my local trails.

woots787
    Free Member

Hello I have had both, although only a few rides in on the rocketmax. The unsurprising review is that the longer travel bike needs a more deliberate effort for little rock to rock gaps in the trail but rewards with more pace and grip. They are pretty similar in feel, maybe try running a stiffer suspension setup and see if it is heading in the right direction.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotic FlareMAX shock options’ is closed to new replies.