• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by davros.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cotic Flaremax Gen 4 owners , real world opinions please .
  • oldfart

Right so here’s the thing , been riding an E bike for 3 years , totally jarred off with lack of reliability of Bosch Gen 2 motor so considering my options. Initially looking at Orbea Rise in alloy , can Shimano motor be any less reliable ? 🤔🙄 Then Quantocks yesterday Steel Onza with 5 year old geometry 150mm fork and 650B wheels and 32 x 36 gearing , climbed ok ish but still had a ball . Got to thinking , always bad news 🙄 How about a Steel full suss ?
    So would like some feedback from real world owners not internet lurkers ! Was thinking of Sid forks so 120mm travel , at 66years old am I going in the wrong direction and should be sticking with Orbea ?

qwerty
    Free Member

I was toying with the idea of one but there is no hiding from the fact it’s a 4kg frame, you can halve that weight with carbon which would likely be of benefit riding the Quantocks.

Take a look at some of the “downcountry” options in carbon.

oldfart

qwerty , my other choice was Transition Spur , which at my price point Deore build comes in at just over 13 kg which isn’t that much lighter than the Cotic I don’t think? Plus I’m not really comfortable with Carbon on an MTB that would be another source of anxiety for me 🙄

qwerty
    Free Member

Transition Spur is the Downcountry benchmark… if you can find one!

I went with a Carbonda FM936 (Vitus Rapide FS) and run a 110mm SID, but buying direct from China may add you your carbon anxieties!!! (purchase was fine, exchanged around 20 emails with Katie @ Carbonda who always answered within 24hrs, frame arrived in 12 days, import and taxes all paid for at purchase).

boriselbrus
    Free Member

My Flaremax is Gen 1, but weight is very similar to Gen 4.

I’m a weight weenie. Most of my rides are 50km+ with 1500m+ climbing. I live near Dunkeld so it’s not exactly flat. I got the Cotic as a fun alternative to my carbon Epic. The idea being to use the Epic for my usual long rides and the Cotic for shorter, knarlier rides.

But the Cotic climbs better than the Epic. I get up stuff I can’t get up on the Epic and even long fire road climbs are faster on the Cotic despite it being 2.5kg heavier.

I don’t understand how this is possible. But after 8 months of owning the Cotic I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s better than the Epic in every way. Faster uphill, faster downhill, easier on long rides. The only time I use the Epic now is if I’m doing a lot of hike a bike as then the weight is noticeable.

I know my comments relate to Gen1 not Gen 4, but I can’t imagine Cotic have made it worse through evolution.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve a mk3 FlareMAX.

But I’m the kind of person where the slightly shorter top (10mm as regards my HT’s) always got me (I know, it’s no real reason, I put on a 45mm stem to compensate) and never quite worked out the bar height (I ran it with 140mm forks) so ended up buying a Jeht (and putting the 140’s on my Ti hardtail) and upping to 150mm forks… kind of says something. I definitely prefer the Jeht.

I’ve a mate who has ragged his since the day he bought (130mm forks) and loves it.

<stealth ad> I’ve a lightly used large FlareMAX frame in dark metal (with DBAir IL & Orange Hope headset) sitting doing nothing that I really should try and shift </stealth ad>

roverpig

Since we’re talking about older models, mine is a gen2 I think (first of the longshot).

Since getting into mountain biking in 2012 I was averaging a bike change a year, until I got the FlareMax in 2019. No desire to change since. Yes the frame must weigh a few pounds more than some others, but who cares. A few lb on the overall weight makes sod all difference to my time on the climbs. Yes, it must have an effect, but it’s less than the day to day variation in weather and my fitness so I don’t notice. What makes a far bigger difference is the build and particularly the tyres. Built with a 130mm pike and a rock razor/ magic Mary combo it wasn’t fast but was unstoppable. Built with 120mm fox 34s and a racing Ralph/nobby nic combo it flies up the hill and is still more capable than I’ll ever be.

richardkennerley

Guy Kesteven spec is 13kg apparently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bikeperfect.com/amp/reviews/cotic-flaremax-gen-4-down-country-gold-spec-review

If I can pull my finger it and get my bike cleaned up and sold, I’m going to place an order I think.

intheborders
    Free Member

I was toying with the idea of one but there is no hiding from the fact it’s a 4kg frame, you can halve that weight with carbon which would likely be of benefit riding the Quantocks.

It’s not 4kg and an equivalent sized carbon frame that can be used in the same way would weigh more than 4kg (with shcok).

I’ve a 2018 Gen2, and when I built it up with the bits from my previous bike (Spesh Camber Evo carbon) it weighed 1kg more. It’s done nearly 4500 miles now (vast majority in the Tweed Valley) and as others have said, still a keeper.

Not quite as old as you, but not far off and I find it climbs better than anything else I’ve had, even Ti HT’s weighing 10lbs less and downhill is ace – especially with a -2 headset, Lyrik and extra rear travel (132mm on my version). So ace I’ve had to resort to a rimstrip in the rear 🙂

mrmoofo

Cotic FlareMax Gen2 here
    It is not a light build and just stuff I had around and it weighs 15.3 kgs. TBH , I am not the fastest / quickest rider – but it seems to do everything well, it is sure footed, fun to ride, and I love long shot geometry.
    They are easy to work on and the folks at Cotic are very user friendly

darkcove

I’ve had mine since October. Gen 4 with SIDs. To my shame all I can tell you about it is that it looks lovely esp in SID blue.

oldfart

darkcove Tart ! 😬

darkcove

Guilty!

Atomizer

@oldfart I’ll have a Gen 3 Flaremax frame for sale v shortly. Medium size in grey. Just need to strip it down! Let me know if you’re interested.

preda0
    Free Member

20230317-112244

Happy owner of the new flare max L size after a solaris max journey
    Although the max ring size given is 32 i could fit in a 34 oval with enough clearance
    Frame weight 4.3kg with collar and rear axle

davros

Woah those bars are low! Guessing it’s an xc build. Interesting about the chainring. I thought it looked too tight for my 32 oval so I switched to round. Guessing it would probably have been fine but didn’t want to risk it.

preda0
    Free Member

Indeed it is supposed to be a xc marathon and stage races build

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gen 4 in medium. Not sure how but it weighs the same as my friends carbon everything Trek fuel ex 9 (though his is large).
    Mine has pretty light hunt wheels and Wolfpack tyres so it doesn’t feel heavy at all.
    My main issues are that it is very good downhill. To the point that a ride without any downhill bits makes me feel over-biked. I also think I would prefer it in mullet rather than 29er. I find the back end is a bit too stable for my liking on corners. But that could be because my other bike is a 26″ jump bike.

It could be exactly what you’re looking for…

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I am still toying with one of these after using a ti hardtail for a few years.
    Will be making the trip to Wales a few times so stuff like Coed De Brenin etc.
    Will be used locally as well so still wanting something that feels ok there as well which isn’t as technical.
    Worried a little on the weight but I have a lightweight build kit,Sid 120,Hope XCR brakes,GX kit so hopefully won’t build up too bad!
    Anyone ride these locally on not too much techy stuff and feel overbiked?
    Thanks,
    Max.

jezzep

Hiya,

I have a FlareMax V3. Awesome bike, my only problem with it, is the routing of the dropper cable. The main pivot bearing can come loose but easy fix. As for weight I point you to most mountain bike tests they are not as heavy in comparison to other bikes. The only bike I tested when I tested the lot was a Scott Spark RC but it was super expensive and I’m not keen on Carbon fibre bikes for numerous reasons, that I don’t want to get into a flame war over…

JeZ

davros

I built my large with carbon wheels, fox 34, carbon bars, xtr cranks, one-up post etc but it’s probably still nearer 14kg. It feels much lighter to ride than the weight suggests and even with heavier wheels it doesn’t feel sluggish. Climbs well but the suspension is quite active even in pedal mode on the CC shock which can feel a bit more tiring on prolonged technical climbs. I don’t think you’d feel overbiked on it. I use mine for local rides which involves tame bridleways to get to the good stuff and it’s totally suitable even if it’s not mega light/stiff.

Mine in its local habitat

View post on imgur.com

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.