Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cotic Flare or FlareMax
  • rossburton
    Free Member

Yes yes I know the real answer is ‘do you prefer 27.5″ or 29″‘ but it’s lockdown so I can’t exactly ask Cotic to bring some bikes down.

I own a 1st gen 26er Cotic Rocket. Currently running with a 650b Mattoc fork at 140mm (the a-c is short for the travel, so that’s actually less a-c than the 26er 150 fork it replaced). For no real reason other than shiny I kind of fancy getting the almost-a-decade of improvements to Droplink. The new Rocket is way too much bike for me, so it’s Flare or FlareMax.

I’m most likely looking at a frame and building up using the bits I already have: drivechain minus cranks, brakes, cockpit, etc will all transplant easily. Either way I’ll need new Boost cranks/wheels/shock. If I go Flare then my current fork will fit perfectly, but the new Flare is partially produced in the UK so is more expensive, which mostly obliterates the cost of a new fork for the FlareMax.

I’m also very aware that Cotic stopped producing the Soul because everyone just buys a Solaris, and am really wondering just how many Flares are being sold compared to the FlareMax and whether as a long-term investment 29er really is going to last longer than 27.5…

What Would Singletrack Do?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I went through this not so long ago – had a 26″ Rocket (with 160mm Pikes) alongside a longshot Soul. I ended up with a Rocket Max, which wasn’t quite what I was expecting…

I ended up demoing Flare (seperately) and Rocket, Flare Max, Rocket Max one after the other.

If I was just after “one bike to do it all”, I’d probably go Flare. It just seems to work really nicely – fun, playful, nippy – but too close to the Soul for me. The Flare Max I found the big wheels encouraged more speed, but the more linear suspension action of the Flare range compared to the Rocket range meant it got quite scary quite quickly when you got into the chunk at the speeds it’s capable of. (more time spent shock fettling with volume spacers etc may help to tame this)

The 27.5 Rocket felt “normal” – similar suspension feel to my old 26″ one coupled to the longshot geometry of my Soul. I then tried the Rocket Max and it was SOOOOO damn fast and never felt out of it’s depth – almost imperiously so. Having lived with it for a few months now – its definitely winch and plummet rather than all round trail bike though. Which is fine, as I still have the Soul…

My other half has a 27.5 Flare and loves it, but I don’t think they’ve sold that many of them. I get the impression that “sit and plod” mile munchers after a trail bike ignore 27.5 and the kind of rider who likes playing with the bike tend to go Rocket. If you like technical XC and enjoy having to work a bike to carry speed and going fast by being smooth, then the Flare will probably be right up your street, rather than the more steamrollery 29er version.

I’d say go have a demo – but as you point out, you can’t at the mo!

kelvin

ALL THE PURPLE !

rossburton
    Free Member

That purple is epic.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ha!

Blame Sam!

rossburton
    Free Member

Some further context: after an all rounder, so I’d ruled out the Rocket on the grounds that it’s far more bike than I need. Want something that can handle the rough stuff in my local ex-mine but also a 50km loop around Dartmoor.

mrmoofo

I have a FlareMax 🙂
    Recently I got a hankering for something bigger – I am riding more so N + 1 kicked it. However he a quick chat with someone at Cotic and I am more than happy that the FlareMax is suitable for 95% of what I do.

I do have a 27.5 HT ( PP Oka)… I am tall , and 100kgs or so. Smaller wheels fit smaller people …

joebristol

I don’t have a Cotic, but have an Aether 7 which is similar to the Flare (I ruled out Cotic as too expensive for what you get – and I’m not that excited about steel for a fs bike).

I love it and if I’d been going Cotic would have gone for the Flaremover the Flaremax.

It’s a generalisation but 27.5 still tends to be the ‘fun’ wheelsize which is quicker to accelerate and better in the corners. The 29er version will be undoubtedly be quicker overall on the majority of trails and will keep up the momentum better.

It just depends what you like really – for me both mtb’s are 27.5.

kelvin

I’d ask about these few old FlareMAX that seem to be knocking about…

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/flareMAX2

I thought they were all gone, but after Paul went through cancelling old unpaid orders this week, it looks like there a few frames to grab.

I’m on 29×2.5 front, 27.5×2.6 rear, for best of both.

core

I’ve got a first gen Flare, 650b, it really is just like a poppy, more comfortable, more capable Soul, it does everything bloody well, long XC rides, enduro type trails, quick blasts on woodsy singletrack.

I think the MAX is just that bit more capable and steamrollery, probably covers ground a bit better for longer rides, does the enduro stuff better, but wouldn’t be for me in tight and twisty singletrack. I want a capable, competent bike, but I want the riding to still be a challenge and not too far removed from a hardtail.

I think it really depends on your personal riding – location and style. Any other time I’d say get on a demo ASAP.

rossburton
    Free Member

Kelvin, I saw those the first time they were announced. Sadly the last large sold whilst I was dithering. Tell Paul to have another look and find a large in mercury. 🙂

kelvin

If we find one, I’m having it.

chiefgrooveguru

“It’s a generalisation but 27.5 still tends to be the ‘fun’ wheelsize which is quicker to accelerate and better in the corners.”

27.5 is definitely more lively, arguably more nimble, accelerates faster, pumps better – but 29 has more cornering grip as well as being faster over the rough and more efficient when pedalling.

Ignoring racing, if you’re tall then I’d go 29 for everything bar freeride (do we still call it that?) If you’re short 27.5 except for XC. In between it’s more about how you like the bike to feel.

slackboy

Kelvin, I saw those the first time they were announced. Sadly the last large sold whilst I was dithering. Tell Paul to have another look and find a large in mercury.

I’ve got a blue ex demo one that I could be tempted to part with. There’s a hope hb130 that keeps looking at me at funny.

rossburton
    Free Member

@slackboy: you have a message

kelvin

@rossburton – could you drop me an email… have found something….

Burchy1
    Free Member

rossburton
    Subscriber

Some further context: after an all rounder, so I’d ruled out the Rocket on the grounds that it’s far more bike than I need. Want something that can handle the rough stuff in my local ex-mine but also a 50km loop around Dartmoor.

I’ve got a Rocket and ride it on the moor, it loves the steep stuff (Lustleigh, Buckland etc) and will do a 50km xc ride over the middle moor but i’d normally take the hardtail if i was doing that.

I think if i was choosing between Flare/FlareMAX and money wasnt a problem to buy all the bits to change a wheelsize i’d go FlareMAX for the above unless you were shorter. Looks like you might be sorted though..

@kelvin
    – Dont suppose you have an old stock small Flare frame lying about aswell do you, my GF’s been looking for a second-hand one to pop up for a while but they seem pretty rare?

kelvin

Old Flares not very likely I’m afraid… we (not me at all, I’ve not been down there) have had a good clear out of all the old stuff, to make extra space for storing part complete bikes and keeping people apart. Not many surprises likely to be uncovered now, but I will ask…

Burchy1
    Free Member

Cheers! I kind of guessed that, i was hoping there might be one in the latest samples etc. clearout but there wasn’t. I’d buy her a new one but we cant justify the cost of new as its not her only interest.

kelvin

Nothing @ Cotic. I’ll ask around…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Flare or FlareMax’ is closed to new replies.