• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by cy.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cotic Flare Max (3) vs Jeht (Large)
  • torchtaylor

Hello,

Has anybody ridden both the Gen 3 flare Max and the Jeht? Looking to maybe do a swap up in travel, as my riding has got a bit rowdier and I’m doing more natural lake-district passes. Just wanted to know if people felt the additional 15mm at the rear and 10mm at the front is worth it. All the components are a straight swap, and the geo is not a mile different (fractions in length and angles, but a touch shorter due to steeper seat post for climbs, a touch slacker at the front for bigger descents).

I’m tempted, but hesitant, and I’d need to rehome the Flare Max pretty quick too, the Mrs would kill me otherwise.

Ant real world views appreciated.

Neal.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2018 Flare Max, so unsure whether it’s a mk2 or 3.

But, on mine by taking out a spacer in the shock I get 132mm of travel rather than 120mm and since I already run a 140mm Pike I thought there was too little in it to consider a Jeht – so if changing to something longer travel I’d go straight to a Rocket Max.

Before you spend a load of cash though, try a -2 headset. This made a lot of difference to how capable mine is. I’ve also changed to a (reduced travel) Lyrik and the stiffer fork has really helped on the faster/rocky stuff. And if you do swap later, none of these are wasted because when buying from Cotic they’ll happily ‘delete’ any components you don’t want.

If I was buying from new now, I’d probably just go straight to the Rocket Max – weighs barely more than the Flare Max but would be more suited to the riding I now do.

torchtaylor

Hi @intheborders,

Think 2018 is the Gen 2. I’ve the CC Helm up front, and that is pretty stiff, and adjustable.

Initially I’d thought Rocket MAX and to be fair it makes more sense than 15mm. Like the shock idea. I’ll see what can be done with the CCDB IL, 132mm would satisfy that “itch”, and leave funds spare for a diesel heater in the van for more road trips.

Ta,

mrmoofo

I am not sure that most riders, riding normal UK terrain would notice that much differnce tween a Jeht and a FlareMax.

Other than if you are a riding god, obviously …

Ring Cotic, and ask

rossburton
    Free Member

@intheborders: if you can bump the travel to 132mm then it’s a G2 (speaking as someone with an ex-demo stickered FlareMAX 132).

The CCDB is the shock they supplied with the 132 model: https://www.cotic.co.uk/news/2019/FlareMAX132. Removing a spacer sounds easy enough… 😉

moonsaballoon

I am in the same situation as @intheborders , gen 2 changed to 132 mm and fork changed from 130mm to 140mm . I’ve also fitted a 2 degree slackest but haven’t had the chance to ride it on anything worthy yet .

I definitely noticed the difference in travel which I wasn’t sure I would , I keep window shopping for a new bike but I really like the cotic and not sure I would find anything better at the moment.
    I did the same as you when the jeht came out and started wondering if that would of been a better fit and if it had been available when I was buying the flare max I would probably of bought the  jeht ,  but the changes I’ve made have quashed the new bike thirst for a while .

cy

Your Air IL needs opening out to 50mm stroke to get 132 spec. We even have 132 top tube stickers if you’d like one.

Angleset would help make it feel more capable, but you’d only need a 1.5 deg set to get Jeht numbers.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve also fitted a 2 degree slackest but haven’t had the chance to ride it on anything worthy yet .

PR-City mate 🙂

I’m in the Tweed Valley and the Flare Max takes me safely down the steepest, roughest trails here while still retaining climbing ability (+5000ft & 32m earlier this week).

but the changes I’ve made have quashed the new bike thirst for a while .

Me too. Sorry Cy.

torchtaylor

Hi All,

Had a chat with Cy, and the Gen 3, with a 53.5mm stroke will give you a “133” Flare Max, but he advises no more than that otherwise you’ll be colliding and crashing links together.

Will give it a go with the next service, as I’m a fettling addict.

@CY
    if you see this, I’ll be in touch for a sticker and have a 132 Gen 3 Flare Max

Cheers All.

cy

@torchtaylor I’m sure we can dig you out a 132 sticker. Hope the tweaks go well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Flare Max (3) vs Jeht (Large)’ is closed to new replies.