Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Cotic BFe or Stanton Slackline?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Or any other 853 steel hardtail? I do like the short stays of the slackline, but not a friendly seatpost size 🙁

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Neither…… Dialled Prince Albert!

The Slackline 631 is a 31.6

winch
    Free Member
    bitterlemon
    Free Member

One for Slackline 🙂

astroman
    Free Member

Has the alpine got longer chain stays length than the slackline, is it considered to have long chain stays?

sv

What length of fork – over 130mm then Slackline 853 or 631.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a BFe and love it (Sektor 150/120 forks and rides well both ways), I bought a Prince Albert Classic frame as a backup in case I didn’t like the Cotic (due to stories of it beng harsh which it’s not). So I suppose my point is that I regard them as similar in terms of use.

edward2000
    Free Member

Sv, probably a 120-160 dual air fork. Just with the slackline was reverb friendly.

winch
    Free Member

Has the alpine got longer chain stays length than the slackline, is it considered to have long chain stays?

Yep, longer Alpines are longer than the Slackline. Really short chainstays may make manualing easier, but anyone who can really manual probably won’t notice/be bothered by the difference. Slightly longer chainstays take a lot of harshness out of the ride and make hammering over baby heads less unenjoyable. YPYMYTYC

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I own a 3 month BFe. I’m seriously considering changing to a Slackline 631. That says it all really. The BB is too high on the BFe with 140mm forks, let alone anything bigger.

Rickos
    Free Member

New Slackline is dropper post friendly.

http://www.stantonbikes.com/content/slackline-631-available-now

timmys

I’m just going to leave this here…

(Though the BFe is also a perfectly lovely bike)

winch
    Free Member

The BB is too high on the BFe with 140mm forks

Not so on the Alpine

I’m just going to leave this here…

Alpine with 160’s, on Flickr

toys19
    Free Member

BB too high? Que?
    BFe corners like a demon, love mine. I’m sure the slackline is cool too, go for the one that gives you the biggest boner..

mrblobby
    Free Member

go for the one that gives you the biggest boner..

Possibly the best advice I’ve ever read on here 🙂

trambler

My Bfe is great, gets ridden regularly and soaks up everything thrown at it, corners brilliantly , is reverb friendly and most of all puts a smile on my face.

xiphon
    Free Member

Both frames only seem to ‘work’ in small sizes for me, like 4X bikes.

That blue stanton above just looks like any other 17″/18″ hardtail…. nothing ‘special’ about it imho…

dandax1990
    Free Member

I’m also trying to decide on which of these two frames. Slackline is winning so far…

_tom_
    Free Member

The BB is too high on the BFe with 140mm forks, let alone anything bigger.

That’s why you run it with the forks at about 120mm like how it was designed, feels way better than a massively divey front end, plus the extra travel isn’t even needed.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Can’t recommend the Alpine enough. 140mm revs on mine and the bb is fine

Northwind

Slackline is very good, almost Ragley-good. Haven’t ridden an Alpine.

I’m a known Cotic fanboi but I was underwhelmed with the BFe, it worked well but it didn’t really shine like the Soul does. Hugely competent mind but I don’t buy bikes for competent, I buy them for the rainbows.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Sanderson Blitz

Why would anyone wanting a to buy a new frame these days buy one without ISCG tabs, dropper capability, and a head tube that can take tapered forks?

As for the OP, buy the Slackline 631. All the future proofing that you want, and it’s the best looking frame by far.

edward2000
    Free Member

Raisinhat – made my decision, 631 it is! Now just dreaming up the spec….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Alpine Alpine Alpine

nickc

Winch, your Alpine is a lovely thing indeed. Hope it rides as well as it looks

Might I offer…

[/url] Shan by nickcummins1, on Flickr[/img]

edward2000
    Free Member

Regarding the alpine, I just think the top tube/seat tube /seat stay interface is totally ugly IMO.

winch
    Free Member

Thanks nickc. In my totally biased opinion it rides amazingly well. I think it’s fair to say I raised a few I brows on it at revolution bike park at the weekend and lots of nice comments too. Your bike looks the muts nuts! I was very tempted by the Shan I have to say.

edward2000 – The seatube brace is a love it or hate it thing I guess. It was one of my main reasons for going for the Alpine though, as I needed an 18″ and the Stanton and BFe, lovely as they are, both look a bit gate like in anything other than 16″ imho.

rob2
    Free Member

Are the new apline frames heavy? Ie over 6lbs?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

[hijack] Anyone ridden and able to compare the Slackline with a Blender?

winch
    Free Member

rob2 – Can’t help with an exact weight as I didn’t weigh the frame before I built it up. However my empirical observation was that when I first picked the frame up (previous bike was a Soul) I thought, ‘that’s not as weighty as I was expecting’. Hope that helps!

banks
    Free Member

Privee shan – is it a 10mm bolt up or bolt thru please, cheers!

stevede
    Free Member

monkeyfudger – I had a Blender, have had a couple of Souls and a couple of BFe’s over the years too and now have a ti Slackline, when I spoke to Dan I said my moon on a stick requirements of my dream frame where that it would be as fun as a blender, as nice a ride as the Soul and as strong as a BFe and for me he’s pretty much nailed it. Run mine with a set of 36 floats spaced down to 140mm and it’s an absolute ripper. The Blender was great but with the fork anything over 100mm and the saddle up you’d be practically falling off the back of it. Not it’s intended use granted but I tried my Blender as a trail bike for a while and whilst it was masses of fun it wasn’t very practical. Hope that helps.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Yeah cheers, I’d really like one of the full mince full sussers but just can’t justify the money for a frame, currently have a Blender built up with Pikes/721’s and it’s awesome at proper gravity assisted trails but is an utter pig at anything else. Slackline looks like it’d be much better at the along/not so steep stuff and the dropper post compatibility would be awesome. I also emailed Stanton who said it would be possible to get the frame with a bottle boss, god I hate Camelbacks! You always ran it at 140? Would def like to keep a shorter fork on it, 120 would be max.

stevede
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve always ran it at 140mm as I race a bit of dh on mine too, the bb is still low enough with the fork at 140 and the seat angle still steep enough to pedal back up.

jambalaya
    Free Member

All this talk of the Alpine has taken the discussion away from BFe/Slackline/Albert type of bike. This is fair enough if that’s what the OP wants but the Alpine is a bit more niche. You can run 140 forks perfectly happily on the BFe for sure and the Slackline and Albert too I imagine.

orangewinger
    Free Member

I have a 631, running it with 120mm Reba Teams. Only been out once on it but it is a very nice ride and seems to work well with the 120s. Detailing on the frame is very good and the colour is amazing.

nickc

Banks, it’s regular 10mm dropouts on mine, but you can buy maxle and SS dropouts as options

In response to Jambalaya’s point, yes, the Prince Albert Classic’s intended fork range is 100-140mm. The Alpines is 120-160mm.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Cotic BFe or Stanton Slackline?’ is closed to new replies.