Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cotic BFe Max Review – Another Cotic Classic!
  • singletrackandi

Cotic BFe Max review! Cotic takes the BFe name made famous 16 years ago and gives it a 2021 29er spin. There are a few bike models that have really sh …

By singletrackandi

Get the full story on our front page at:

Cotic BFe Max Review – Another Cotic Classic!

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

kelvin

A quick note on headsets… when ordering frame only from Cotic you can add a headset and it’ll come fitted pressed into the frame to save you that job.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Thought my 2019 Solaris max was perfect for me until I tried a 2021 Bfe 😶

robbie19
    Free Member

Agree with what Kelvin posted, you can get the headset fitted if you choose one when ordering the frame direct from Cotic. I’m certain you could also get a BB fitted when ordering the frame, and thankfully Cotic went with a treaded 73mm BSA BB on this frame for easier serviceability.

majorspaniel

Picked up a Yellow XL in February, set at 140mm, it’s done everything from Dales XC loops to a weekend in Innerleithen all brilliantly. My mega hasn’t had a look in, recommended.

weester

Built one of these up for my 15 year old son, and it’s awesome and he loves it. Despite initially wanting a full Susser, and although he sometimes complains about the ‘hard tail’ ride, he didn’t want to swap for my Flaremax on a recent ride we did, and that’s no shrinking violet either.

I used it in the the lakes earlier this year while the Flaremax was poorly, and it took many steep climbs and gnarly descents well within it’s stride.

No wonder her isn’t keen to give it up!🤔

ivantate
    Free Member

Read a few reports about people being disappointed with the Solaris max. This is heavier and more downhill focussed but gets praise for its climbing.

metalheart
    Free Member

As others have already stated, order a frame with a headset and it’ll come installed (from memory same for bottom brackets). Every direct bought frame I’ve had from them (there have been, err, a few) have had this.

And wtf is happening with the colour, is it yellow, green or two different frames? 🤷🏼‍♂️

honourablegeorge

Only disappointing thing about mine is that it’s blue and not awesome yellow, it’s a great bike.

@Andi
    Sykes – those Pirellis – is that a 2.4 Scorpion S Enduro rear, and a 2.4 Scoprion S Trail front? (I’m guessing from the tyre review)

rstephenson
    Free Member

Certainly not disappointed with mine either.
    As above, I just asked Cotic to press in the headset when I ordered the frame. Great people to deal with.

rickon
    Free Member

There are not many people with a headset press.

There are lots of folk who have a headset press, and even more than use blocks of wood and hammers!

For those that dont, it’s super cheap to buy some threaded bar and some big washers. For a little more cash, you can buy turned down aluminium cup presses for about £15 on eBay. No reason for anyone to not have a press kicking around.

joepud
    Free Member

As much as I love my Solaris this isnt doing my itch for a longer travel hardtail any good at all!

johnnystorm

@rickon
    Glad it wasn’t just me that found the emphasis on the headset a bit ott!

Superficial
    Free Member

Can’t remember the last time I needed a headset press. I don’t own one, I’ve always used hammer /wood but every bike I’ve worked on lately has has drop-in bearings.

reeksy

I did my first headset with a mallet. Then bought a cheap press. Gave up with it halfway through and went back to the mallet.

davespike1981

What cable guides are those? look like they would complete my SolarisMax nicely?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cotic BFe Max Review – Another Cotic Classic!’ is closed to new replies.