Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cotic BFe Build Inspiration
  • tuboflard

Picked up an eBay buy today, a 2010(ish) Cotic BFe 26 in blue. It’s in remarkably good condition so I’m wanting to build it up in to a modern take on the original for dirt and messing about commuting purposes.

I’m not bothered about the tyres being the least rolling resistance so thinking of some Maxxis DTH in 2.3’s. I’ve also got bars, stem, chainset and pedals from the parts bin but that’s it.

So, looking for some STW inspiration for the rest of the build. Am considering rigid forks too so if anyone is running carbon or steel rigid, let me know what you’ve got.

Cotic BFe

didnthurt

Could do a mullet 27.5 front and 26 rear.

Is it a straight 1 1/8″ headtube? If so then you might struggle with forks. If it’s 1.5″ or tapered then you can fit whatever you want. I’d go for some Lyriks set at 160mm.
    Get some 36 spoke wide rimmed wheels. Should be able to find some decent Hope hub 26″ wheels on ebay or the classifieds.
    >780mm bars.
    180mm rotors minimum.

Should be fun.

tuboflard

Thanks @didnthurt, I think it’s a 44mm head tube so with a change of the bottom cups I think it’ll take a tapered steerer. Ideally looking for Hope wheels as got them on a few bikes and they’re great, easy to maintain and last forever. Was hoping to find some Pikes but will keep an eye out for Lyriks too, good call.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexpalacefan

Rigid seems like a mistake for a big-hitting bike like that.
    Second Pikes or Lyrics.
    27.5 / 26 mullet could give you more fork options too, but watch the A-C.
    Nice bike that.

APF

j.richards
    Free Member

Bfe

set mine up last year. 2005 130mm vanilla r’s so its got some older parts on it. tubeless and a dropper and its more capable than i ever expected.

IMG_1699

kelvin

I think it’s a 44mm head tube

> squints <

Don’t think it is.

tuboflard

I think you might be right @kelvin, next to the RocketMax which definitely does it looks smaller. Could do with some vernier callipers to measure up. I did message Cotic before I picked it up who assured me it was 44mm but like I said, it looks “small”. Not to worry.

If it won’t take tapered then I might go rigid after all unless there there some nice dirt jump forks around with 1.1/8 straight steerers.

walowiz

Here’s mine, purple medium 26”. Pikes – tapered IIRC, DT Swiss wheels, usual Shimano suspects for drivetrain.

Brilliant bike, I’d accumulated all the parts over a long time for a variety of builds that never quite happened, so this has some quality stuff on it.

Given it’s not the most modern of geomotry now, it rides a bit like a bmx (to me), which is no bad thing, feels lively and can handle bigger hits and stuff than the rider can.

Mine is currently dismantled, reminds me I should put it back together for when I can ride again.

Cotic on vacation

judetheobscure
    Free Member

Funny how back in 2010, larger wheeled bikes just didn’t look right, and now 12 years later when our brains have adjusted and they’ve dialled in the aesthetics and got the proportions right for 27.5/29, small wheeled bikes don’t look right.

Doesn’t change the fact that the Cotic BFe was always a very sweet bike.

funkmasterp

I got in to MTB relatively late in life (early 30’s) and a 26” Bfe was my first proper bike. Ran it with a U turn fork and have very fond memories of that bike and the fun I had with it. Contemplating getting a Bfe Max to bring things full circle.

j.richards
    Free Member

The headtube on mine is a 34mm which I believe is the same year as yours. The newer BFe frames came with a larger headtube and thru-axle although I think they share the same geometry.

tails
    Free Member

Lots here

I had the first gen version, could knock your filings out. Looked good though.

tuboflard

Nice looking bike @walowiz! Definitely erring more towards running a rigid fork with it being a 34mm head tube, just need to work out what axle to crown to run on it (thinking about 460mm). Ordered some 2.3 Maxxis DTH’s today so will be staying mostly on gravel and tarmac in that guise.

tuboflard

Commuter build has begun. Not sure I’m taken on the Nukeproof bar and stem on this build, got them cheap from CRC but they probably need to be gloss bars to match the fork.

Other than that though I’m happy with how it’s developing.

Cotic BFe super commuter

tuboflard

Build nearing completion, swapped the Nukeproof bars for a BMX stem and Surly Sunrise bars which look great. Set up now as a simple singlespeed with an eBay 105 rear mech as a cheap tensioner. Just needs brake hoses shortening (taking to the bike shop for that as I hate bleeding brakes) and job done.

Look out for the Cotic Clunker out and about if you live in Sheffield.

Cotic Clunker

thepodge
    Free Member

With that tensioner & chain setup you might as well run gears.

tuboflard

It’s still an option @thepodge, I’ve got a new 11 speed shifter which I could use. Would need a road range cassette given the mech is short cage but that would be ok given it’ll only be used for commuting.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m a bit of a purist when it comes to single speed bikes, did used to run a rear mech on one but it was subjected to the hacksaw otherwise it’s short chains and minimalist tensioners.

tuboflard

To be honest I’d prefer no tensioner at all, my singlespeed Singular Rooster is an EBB and I much prefer the look of that set up or with sliding drop outs.

But this build hasn’t allowed for that. Still have an option of getting a Surly Singleator which is in the back of my mind. Will see how I go with the mech as a start (it was only £10 so no great loss).

tuboflard

The Klunker got its debut on the morning commute today. Swapped out the rear mech for a proper chain tensioner (which is great) and added a Wizard Works stem bag for tools and phone.

Apologies in advance for lack of level cranks and misaligned tyre logos.

BFe Klunker

thepodge
    Free Member

Despite my original misgivings, that’s a nice bike. Quite retro Kona looking.

tuboflard

Cheers @thepodge, I’m really happy with it!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.