• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cotic Bfe as a 120mm forked trail bike?
  • collie
    Free Member

Sorry for another ‘what steel hardtail’ thread but I want to get a few ideas before I try to set up some test rides. Having read some reviews about the Bfe along with the info on the Cotic site it seems like a good bet as a do it all steel hardtail. I’m planning to use Fox F120 forks, XT 3×9 and general ‘traily’ build kit and want a bike that will be at home on local woodsy single track and also be able to cope with days out in the Peak.
    I like the idea of the rugged build that will handle rocky decents at speed but not be too much of a maul to get up the other side.
    Are any of you using a Bfe in this sort of spec? What are your thoughts?

mildred

My mk1 Bfe was built up as you describe but with coil U-turn Pikes wound down to 130mm (ish). Was fine, if a little ‘dead’ feeling, which I put down to being a robustly built frame. Having said that, I found that with the soul too.

edoverheels
    Free Member

I have a Soul with 120mm forks and use it as my XC bike. Put a 180mm front disc to make sure it stops and Stans Flows instead of 355 or Crests to make sure the wheels could take a bashing and it is fine.
    Took it to an uplift day at FoD (because my son was using our bigger bike) and it was fine. Just burst a rear tyre when I flatlanded a jump. Do you need a BeFe? CEN regs mean the Soul must be tough (tougher than me anyway!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Geometry wise it’ll be fine, if you were to handicap a Soul with a fixed length fork 120mm is the length to go without a doubt, the same’ll be true of the BFe.

But I’m with Ed, what you describe is what the Soul is for, and perfectly capable of.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m riding the Peaks on my Soul and it’s fine. Cy rides in the Peaks regularly on his Soul. Worth asking him for an opinion.
    Or 18 Bikes in Hope, they’re a Cotic dealer IIRC
    Soul is a lovely bike, I used to ride Surrey Hills on it and it was ace on woodsy singletrack

nick1962
    Free Member

Who still uses the big ring on a trail bike?
    And on a BFE??
    2 x 9 and bashring all the way for me.It gives better clearance for hopping over the sort of trail obstacles I come across several times a ride.

Northwind

nick1962 – Member

Going by all the massive gouges in the rocks round here, lots of durned fools are still using triples 😉 But agreed it seems weird on a BFe.

james
    Free Member

“Who still uses the big ring on a trail bike?”
    IIRC I think cy does

I’ve not bothered taking mine off, I mean it doesn’t work very well being short on worthwhile height teeth, but even when it does hit stuff I’ve never found it an issue. tbh I used to hit stuff more on my XC bike (now 1×9) as there were more downed logs etc locally than I’ve found on more trail centre/national park sort of stuff

I like the shimano SLX steel/composite chainring as it lasts so well. They only do a 32T, so a 44T can come in handy on the odd road stint or faster open descent
    I haven’t found a bashring that I like the look of either

Garry_Lager

I have U-turn lyrics on my BFe and it’s pretty versatile, if a bit lumbering. Using it as my only MTB at the moment, so taken it out over all sorts for 2-3 hr rides. I’d be a bit hesitant to take it out on a proper all dayer – it would be fine if you’re just bimbling along but it would start to wear badly if you were turning the pedals in anger. I did a trailquest on it last month and was absolutely fked in the last hour, for example. Of course a lighter fork / better fitness would help here.

Really depends on how much you want to throw it about – any of the steel HTs dejour will handle a rocky descent at speed, and it’s not like you’re going to break a soul doing the occasional jump in the local woods. BFe is good value though – 300 quid for the frame new is a great price. Can’t imagine anyone breaking one.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’d go for a Soul. More than capable and a lot more forgiving than a BFe, especially if you are running the forks at a fixed height.

I’ve got a medium Soul and a Small BFe – mainly use the Soul for XC/AM stuff and the BFe for DJ and DH type duties. However, having said that I personally would look at a BFe as an all round bike due to the flexibility of fork, but don’t think overall you can go wrong with either, especially riding in the peaks etc.

Roblilly
    Free Member

As others said, it sounds like you need a soul. I run my BFe with 160’s but it will be better on 140’s when funds allow. To me it feels like I really need to be hammering to get the best out of it but it will do commuting etc no problem. I also run a triple, at the moment but will go 1 x 9 or 10 when this stuff wears out

Rickos
    Free Member

But the BFe is way cheaper than the Soul and maybe that’s what he can afford?

collie
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. On the whole they kind of comfirm my previous idea of what a BFe is about – short stem, long forks, wheels off the ground. The main reason for my original post came from reading a WMB test from September last year where they found it to be a versatile bike and not as hardcore as something like a Blue Pig.
    I know all about the Soul’s reputation and was very impressed when I had a go on one, but the WMB test did make me look at the BFe in a different light. Plus I really like the shiny blue the BFe ccomes in!

Vortexracing

That test had me thinking of one as well.

I used to own an original grey on that was great but a bit brutal.

The test read as though the new BFe sits somewhere between the Soul (which I also have) and the old BFe, in terms of ride/stiffness.

Cy also has a point that a setapost can have a massive affect on the comfort of a hardtail. IIRC he said a USE was a good post for providing a bit of ‘give’.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

A late resurrection of this post…..have been thinking very much along the lines of the OP in terms of HT bike set up (120mm and trail/peak centric build and use) and a desire to shift to soul or bfe…..but wondering how rider weight stacks the decision…..I’m just over 6ft and 91kg’s and wonder if that means the burlier bfe might be the better option. Obviously a call to Cotic would be helpful, and swinging a leg over said steeds, but interested on the STW panels thoughts….. 😀

Northwind

nick1962 – Member

Cy Turner 😉

sugdenr
    Free Member

That is what I built, I am heavier than you. Bfe = same but cheaper. If I need to save weight diet will be my first port of call.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure how my BFe would be as an XC bike, it’s much more refined than I imagined, and when you want to thrash it about it’s more than capable. It’s a great versatile bike at a good price, no wonder there’s so many about.

Northwind

I did have my BFe built in a more XC form for a bit and tbh though it was fine, all I could ever think was “This is just like my old Soul, only worse.”

kiwifiz
    Free Member

@sugdenr….thanks for feedback….but how heavy are you other bfe/soul riders?/did it influence your choice??

Northwind

Ah- to be fair I weigh about as much as a burst balloon. Soul is no shrinking violet mind

metalheart
    Free Member

I have an old school (130mm max) Soul, weigh more than you and I haven’t killed it.

You’ll be fine… 😀

It’s built heavy (~28 lbs) most of which is in the wheels (tubed maxxis 2.35’s and mavic 321’s) I’d have thought. It’s got f120’s on it now n’all.

Used to ride in NE Scotland mostly so not much groomed trail centre use.

chiefgrooveguru

As a trail bike, particularly if you’re on the heavier side, I think it makes a lot of sense. As a XC bike, much less so. My burly built Soul weighs 26.5lbs so a BFe with similar spec would still be under 28lbs.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m a stocky 5’9 and weigh about 12.5 stone. I ride a small BFe. It’s quite heavy (don’t care enough to weigh it) with 150mm forks, Magura Louise and Mavic 721’s, i love riding it, keeping this one for a while. The stuff I’ve seen people do on them I think the frame will last a long time.

timnwild

I’m on an old Soul 130mm, I’m 6’1″, 14 stone and I ride mostly longish xc, with the occasional trail centre and the odd bit of jumping, and I’ve got a triple chainring as well, and I’m happy as Larry.

I just wanted a bike that would handle just about everything – I’d happily take on black trails with my Revs travel boosted a bit, or do the South Downs way at 100mm,and Jedi had me flying over 9ft gaps without a word about head angles, seat height or fork travel.

So I think do what you want.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Thanks all for your thoughts…..looks like a soul it is as there will be a fair amount of XC in the mix. Now what to swap my reverb with (??!)

Vortexracing

Gravity dropper

P1040284 by eastham_david, on Flickr

jruk
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 1″, ~95kg and love my Soul already. It’s only one ride old so can’t comment on long term strength but it’s damn quick (got stuck behind 3 guys on FS bikes with stupid small rings and skinny thighs on some lovely tight singletrack t’other day). Got 120mm bolt through Rebas on the front with 2.35 Maxxis to give is some beef.

Buy a Soul, you’ll love it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Bfe as a 120mm forked trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.