Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Cotic
  • dragon
    Free Member

Considering steel bikes were made for around 100 years before either Cy or Brant appeared, i think to claim they were the founders is a STW made up piece of revisionism a large step too far.

Scamper
    Free Member

Is the new supplier also doing the long awaited aluminium short travel full susser? 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Long travel hardtails? Spooky, yes?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spooky were certainly doing that sort of thing in the mid 90s, before others jumped on the bandwagon (See what I did there? 😉 )

IIRC, Fisher turned out a longer travel HT at some point as well. Paragon, I think. OK, so only a 100mm fork from memory, but BITD that was a long travel fork! 🙂

Although, it could also be argued that the HT that made the biggest impact on the market was that ridden by JMC. All of a sudden, we all wanted shorter stems and wider bars….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

IIRC, Fisher turned out a longer travel HT at some point as well. Paragon, I think. OK, so only a 100mm fork from memory, but BITD that was a long travel fork

Fisher had the Genesis geometry ( i think that was it’s name) which is probably not too far off what Cotic’s geometry is?

TBF, it was probably DMR that kick started the steel re-evolution with the trailstar?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Trailstar was 96, IIRC, FTW was welding at Spooky from 95, and was behind the original Metalhead.

Sounds a bit like a draw! 🙂

compositepro
    Free Member

Trailstar was 96, IIRC, FTW was welding at Spooky from 95, and was behind the original Metalhead.

Sounds a bit like a draw!

yeah but frank was welding at yeti before that ,however i suppose this was bitd before genreisation took over and you had a bike and **** off everywhere on it and did everything on it

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like a draw

Spooky were alloy though, along with all the other hardcore hardtial frames of that time. DMR were about the only steel one produced in relatively large numbers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

True, was talking more about the overall genre of LT HTs.

bitd before genreisation took over and you had a bike and **** off everywhere on it and did everything on it

Yep, those halcyon days when you did a weekend of DH, XC and trials, all on the same bike! 🙂 Bula hats for slalom markers, isn’t it? Wasn’t it?

compositepro
    Free Member

True, was talking more about the overall genre of LT HTs.

bitd before genreisation took over and you had a bike and **** off everywhere on it and did everything on it
    Yep, those halcyon days when you did a weekend of DH, XC and trials, all on the same bike! Bula hats for slalom markers, isn’t it? Wasn’t it?

Dunno chap I’m only 21 bit before my time

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

Yep, those halcyon days when you did a weekend of DH, XC and trials, all on the same bike! Bula hats for slalom markers, isn’t it? Wasn’t it?

I remember going for a day out round grizedale and my mate came on his trials bike. He couldnt wait to sit down afterwards.

Northwind

Yeah, the glory days of one bike that did everything equally badly. Think I prefer having 3 bikes that each do quite a lot of things brilliantly tbh!

compositepro
    Free Member

Yeah, the glory days of one bike that did everything equally badly. Think I prefer having 3 bikes that each do quite a lot of things brilliantly tbh!

yep seeing steve peat on his rigid kona hei hei going downhill faster than a lot of folks ever will…badly then going racing cross country and doing that badly on the same bike

talent comes from t bike obviously

Northwind

Er, and now you can see him going faster on harder courses on a more suitable better bike. Doesn’t matter how good you are, having the right tool for the job is always better than not.

compositepro
    Free Member

Er, and now you can see him going faster on harder courses on a more suitable better bike. Doesn’t matter how good you are, having the right tool for the job is always better than not.

I think for peat its true for you and me its called a skills compensation, i still enjoyed my shed bike back in the day….. one way to settle it just because downhillers cant beat a peregrine falcon down a hill might be to stick him on his old bike and some middle aged armchair biker on a v10 see who wins

kelvin

No one has mentioned Bontrager… so I will. Bontrager. Oh, and Kona.

There is no claim that steel frames were a new thing when Cotic came along. Shoulders of giants and all that.

IdleJon

kelvin – Member

No one has mentioned Bontrager… so I will. Bontrager. Oh, and Kona.

And Cove?

Northwind

compositepro – Member

I think for peat its true for you and me its called a skills compensation

I think it’s the exact same thing for both, bike and rider are always a package. Peaty is faster on a modern bike than on an ancient one, and faster on a more suitable bike than a less suitable one, so are you, so am I.

I’d take on your challenge though, not that it would mean a thing but it’d be a laugh 😉

brant
    Free Member

Bontrager Race Lite, Fat Chance Yo Eddy and Wicked, Dave Yates and a £109 Halfords Apollo Forma were key bikes in my mind when we started on-one.

kinggb
    Free Member

Taking this topic back to the original question I can completely understand the frustration but surely people must appreciate the honesty?? How easy would it be for cotic to take deposits and continually delay delivery dates?? I personally like the honesty and tip my cap to one of the truly genuine bike manufacturers.

I do however feel very lucky in that I’ve just found myself a second hand rocket to entertain me until the new crop are in stock!!

catvet
    Free Member

Perhaps Cy is designing the next generation of the Soul in 27.5 !!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What is this 27.5? Is this yet another inbetweener size? Do we really need a wheel size that splits 27.1 and 29 inches?

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Bontrager Race Lite, Fat Chance Yo Eddy and Wicked, Dave Yates and a £109 Halfords Apollo Forma were key bikes in my mind when we started on-one.

Kept on the Apollo theme then 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Cotic’ is closed to new replies.