Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Costco Fixie.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

I was in Costco today and saw there £68 & Vat Fixie , It’s got to be a pile of shite presumably . A full bike for the price of 2 x Conti GP4000’s , has anybody got one ? . It could be a good craic for not much money , your views. ?

Rosss
    Free Member

No sign of one on the website, did you get a photo? Could be worth a go for a hack bike

acehtn
    Free Member

Hmm will have a look over there then.

Will expect aimed at the very causal maybe ride it once or twice a year non cycling type of customer.

Few years back it was Create fixies for under £200, as a rough guide, if you fully stripped them down, wheel bearings as well, then rebuilt and checked spoke tension and true, and put a new decent chain on, then they weren’t half bad as a hack bike.

If you didn’t rebuild it, common issues where wonky wheels. bearing failure through lack of adjustment or no grease, and snapped chains, loose headset, scored seatpost etc etc.
    And the cost co is half the price 🙂

Be better off buying an old Raliegh record sprint or similar to play with

EDIT
    had a look on the US&UK shop sites no sign of it ? buy one and take a photo 🙂

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m heading to Costco on Thursday so I’ll try and get some more info about them then.

I might even be tempted as a commuting bike for that kind of price 😯

bigG
    Free Member

So I keep hearing about how fantastic Costco is, how do I as a non business owner go about getting a Costco card? I feel like I’m missing out……

Liftman

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Check their website abd it’ll tell you how you can become a member.
    They are pretty cheap for some stuff but I’ve found that some items are a lot dearer than Tesco or Sainsbury.

Davesport

I better tell Yodagoat ! He’ll be on it, like a car bonnet.

AndyMain

Thats a very subtle and understated colour scheme

kimbers

that looks alright

aaaaggghhh ive been commuting in london too long, fortunately my chunky thighs and imposing arse mean ill never wear skinny jeans

trail_rat
    Free Member

“They are pretty cheap for some stuff but I’ve found that some items are a lot dearer than Tesco or Sainsbury.”

Definantly go in with eyes open.

meat is about on par but better quality imo – not butcher quality but better than supermarket by a long way.

tend to go once every 6 months or so and stock up. First trip we bought next to nothing and just looked at the prices of things noting cost – if you shop branded then its pretty reasonable – if you buy the bulk catering packs of stuff as oppose to retail packaged stuff.

as we shop in aldi we only really benifit from the meat and special offers.

great for party food, cakes and cheap (drinkable) wine though.

MrSmith
    Free Member

that looks alright

😯

Well it does say “urban culture” on the subtly coloured rims so maybe you have a point.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m almost tempted to become a member get one for the winter. You’ll definitely be spotted on that with or without lights 😯

huws
    Free Member

KILL IT WITH FIRE.

It would have looked awful in 2007 when similar colour schemes were ‘on trend’. Now it looks like an absolute abomination.

acehtn
    Free Member

Well, no one could claim they didn’t see you if they knocked you off it.

Don’t look too bad, 2 brakes, a bell, appears to have been built up correctly as well. Brightness could be changed with a can of matt black car paint.

Would love a close up inspection :)neat or gobby welds, could be a goer for a winter hack, i would still buy a new chain and fully strip and rebuild it though, doubt pedals will last long.

Is it SS ? or fixed/free ? can’t see as someone has left the black axle packer on…. which indicates it must be well packed if the axle guards are there.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

would you ride any other bike that cost £70 new? would be my question.

you still have to ride the thing remember

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Here’s a journal of a guy who rode from Florida to Texas on a $99 Walmart Fixie.

Things broke and wore out quickly. Fair play to the guy for giving it a go.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=307497&v=5X

butcher

That’s horrendous.

Didn’t Decathlon do a singlespeed a while back for £90 or something.

holster
    Free Member

Here’s the (limited) spec…

http://www.tigercycles.com/bikes/road/uc-fixie-orange-yellow.html

They’re selling for £140 + on ebay… might be worth buying a job lot from Costco and flogging them!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Here’s a journal from a guy who rode from Florida to Texas on a $99 Wallmart Fixie.

Things broke and wore out. fair play to the guy for giving it a go.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=307497&v=5X

stanfree
    Free Member

Yup It is fairly horrendous but had asked as I thought it may have been one of the original ones they had last year but reduced to clear. It seems It’s an even cheaper model and likely wouldn’t last 2 weeks commute without falling to bits.

@Davesport
    this is the kinda thing Yodagoat would rock round East Pencaitland with his jeans rolled up and some NHS Gregory Pecks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Costco Fixie.’ is closed to new replies.