Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 261 total)
  • Cost of living crisis and Singletrack – An appeal
  • Mackem

I like the reviews, the articles i can’t satnd are the ones where 2 random people go off on an adventure and blabber on about finding themselves etc.

zilog6128

Can’t you just **** the reviews off,

I like the reviews, the articles i can’t satnd are the ones where 2 random people go off on an adventure and blabber on about finding themselves etc.

clearly the only solution is for the team to individually tailor each copy of the mag depending on who’s reading it 😃 I’d probably pay an extra fiver for that.

imrobert

Just my opinion, clearly you aren’t in favour of people having them James. Magazine used to be funny and entertaining, its increasingly becoming boring and politicised, all i am saying. I’m fairly sure i wouldn’t be the only one thinking this. Used to be Northern, working class useful and funny, now its aspiring middle class boring mostly, i’ll hang in and see if it improves.

the-muffin-man

@Mark – I think you need to make this thready sticky for a week or so. As not everyone lives on here like some of us!

Rubber_Buccaneer

clearly the only solution is for the team to individually tailor each copy of the mag depending on who’s reading it

Prime Directives

zilog6128

Just my opinion, clearly you aren’t in favour of people having them

it was a joke. soz 😳 (just commenting that people obviously want different things from the mag, you can’t please all the people all the time!!)

imrobert

No blood no foul bud

Bunnyhop

Everyone I know who has a small business or is self employed is really struggling.
    Once the word ‘ recession’ is mentioned then work dries up for me. Luckily nbt has treated me to a digital subscription.
    Personally STW has been amazing over the years and long may it continue.
    Good luck to all.

montgomery
    Free Member

Ok, I haven’t bought any bike mag in the last 15 years but I’m in.

theomen

Well as I tend to read more than I contribute, I was content to be a free member. However, after reading about your financial issues, I’ve now become a digital member.

I hope it works out and you continue to operate.

Mark

Thanks so much both of you @montgomery & @theomen

🙂

ayjaydoubleyou

Used to be Northern, working class useful and funny, now its aspiring middle class boring mostly,

I’m a middle class southerner, just became a full member.

How far back do you recommend I should I delve into the back catalogue before I am unwelcome?

spawnofyorkshire

Just my opinion, clearly you aren’t in favour of people having them James. Magazine used to be funny and entertaining, its increasingly becoming boring and politicised, all i am saying. I’m fairly sure i wouldn’t be the only one thinking this. Used to be Northern, working class useful and funny, now its aspiring middle class boring mostly, i’ll hang in and see if it improves.

U ok hun?

chrismac

Magazine used to be funny and entertaining, its increasingly becoming boring and politicised, all i am saying

I agree with sentiment. It seems to becoming less and less about mountain bikes and having fun on them. If that’s the direction the editor and the team want to take the magazine then that’s fine, it is their magazine after all, but it will mean Im less likely to renew my subscription.

I guess the magazine is a bit stuck in that its not big enough to get access to all the products it might want to test as quickly as those with bigger audiences. For example if you are brand x with a new bike to review and a limited number to lend, especially pre launch, then do you lend 1 to Pinkbike and Vital etc or ship one over to the UK for STW to try?

grahamt1980

I wouldn’t have any issue if the digital subscription cost was put up.
    I don’t want a print version of the mag as i have enough stuff hanging around the house anyway

Mark

Chrism, at 1.4 million to PB’s 1.8million monthly users we have never really had a problem with product acquisition. We often get prioritised over others. Sometimes there’s a bit of a rota where a brand only has a single press bike to offer so they rotate the UK media with it/ Sometimes we are first sometimes we aren’t. A lot of the time the bikes are embargoed so there’s time to get all the main media outlets a shift on the same bike before it goes public.

Getting product for review is not a problem though. That’s why we invented FGF to deal with the glut.

leffeboy

Don’t think I’ve got 144 yet.  How long has it been out?  Maybe need to drop a mail to subs folks

Cougar

Aside: a few folk have said they don’t like the direction the mag is taking. I don’t think many (any?) have voiced what they’d like to see instead?

nickc

I agree with sentiment. It seems to becoming less and less about mountain bikes

Really? off the top of my head 144 has articles on 4 pot brakes, 3 trail bikes on test, interview with Claudio Calouri (world cup DH commentator), route guides for MTB, pretty inspirational story about a guy with a colostomy bag doing some far out mountain bike riding. Hanna interviewing guys behind WTB- who are a company making mountain bike parts.

pretty MTB heavy if you ask me?

Cougar

Yeah, but then it went downhill fast.

😁

spawnofyorkshire

Yeah, but Mark did a post about gender rights once so this place is all political and shit now

It’s gone to the dogs i tell thee

Mark

To be fair we also published a feature about pedal car racing once. We had to put a fireproof box over the letterbox after that one.

twonks

Mark, thanks for deeper insight into the ways of the interweb and how it can be used to help STW.

I wasn’t aware of the change to cookies and personal data that is coming. Are you allowed to acquire and store user data to such an individual level now, as I can imagine when the ruling comes in and every site has to gather information for similar reasons – a lot of members could get fed up being asked and just default to ‘Do not share’

Not sure how this sits with GDPR etc as you could be gathering and storing personal data that isn’t directly used. It’s a minefield !

A good call was made some posts ago, with the desire for STW riding jerseys. I still have the 10th anniversary (iirc) purple top somewhere and although it most likely doesn’t fit, it won’t be thrown out. Think before that it was a beige coloured cotton T Shirt for the 5th birthday, so another riding top might be due.

Personally I ride in loose fitting wicking polo shirts. I’d happily spend good money on a couple of STW labelled polos, especially if they can be worn off the bike. Something like a regular polo badge on the left chest and singletrackworld.com accross the bottom at the back.

A lot of office bods can wear such things at work nowadays, so would be a nice bit of kit to get out.

Cougar

Mark did a post about gender rights once so this place is all political and shit now

It’s gone to the dogs i tell thee

Yeah, but they identified as cats so it’s fine.

Mark

The end of 3rd party cookies is coming BECAUSE of GDPR. The collection of data about people who visit the site is defined as 1st party data. We can’t share that with anyone outside of Singletrack without your permission. But using it to our commercial advantage is entirely legitimate so long as we comply with GDPR rules and look after it securely and responsibly. That is and always has been our policy.

jimmy

A good call was made some posts ago, with the desire for STW riding jerseys

Reading this thread I thought, I know I’ll go and buy that Hackney GT STW jersey I’ve been eyeing up for months… Dang it! It’s out of stock (possibly discontinued?).

So put me down for a Medium if/when stock is back.

MrOvershoot

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cost-of-living-crisis-and-singletrack-an-appeal/page/2/#post-12505603

Mark any comment on my post? I know your trying to answer lots of other stuff.

tjagain

Is thete any way of monetizing the wealth of tech information on the forum?

It always seems to me that that is a missed opportunity to make money

I guess technically difficult?

A database of stw tech fixes?

Cougar

Is thete any way of monetizing the wealth of tech information on the forum?

I guess technically difficult?

Ah, irony.
    😁

Mark

@mrovershoot if it’s about donations there’s a donate button in the story and a link in the Sidebar. It uses the same secure payment gateway as our membership system. It’s not PayPal though.

fatoldgit

Can’t justify yet another STW mug sitting unused in my overflowing mug cupboard but I have indulged in a couple of other bits of merch .
    About time I did a bit more than lurk 😜

chrismac

Getting product for review is not a problem though. That’s why we invented FGF to deal with the glut.

im delighted to hear it. It doesn’t always appear that way when other sites have articles about new bikes that either never make stw or are several days later

dyna-ti

I paid the 39, but tbh you dont need to send me anything. I just thought the higher sum would help out more.

walleater

Thanks Mark, I subscribed. Knowing what international shipping is like here, I should get the 6 magazines over a 4 year period 😀

BruceWee

To be fair we also published a feature about pedal car racing once. We had to put a fireproof box over the letterbox after that one.

@Mark
    What issue was that in?

Just to throw even even more unreasonable demands into the mix, I want more weird stuff like that.

didnthurt

I’ve been a subscriber for years and love it when a new magazine drops through the door. Especially when it has articles as good as the one this month’s about the guy riding in the Cairngorms whilst suffering from bowel cancer.

The forum is one of my main resources for riding or, well, anything really.

I’ve made an additional donation and hope that you get through this tough time. I’ll also check out the merch store 👍

Mark

Thank you

IHN

Aside: a few folk have said they don’t like the direction the mag is taking. I don’t think many (any?) have voiced what they’d like to see instead?

I’d like to see a return of The Grinder – medium term-ish reviews of normal, every day riding kit used in normal, every day conditions.

And, in these straightened times (and, if I’m honest, for riders like me who are honest enough with themselves that they don’t need top-end kit, cos they’re good enough to need it) how about a ‘budget’ option in each of the group-tests? The cheapest brake in the the 4-pot group-test is £175 per end, what about Deore (or Tektro, or Cura) for a decent chunk less ££?

I think the STW testers can be trusted to give an on honest opinion along the lines of “you know what, these are cheap and they’re actually great, I don’t really know why you’d pay more” or “yeah, they’re cheap, but it shows, stumping up a bit extra is definitely worth it”.

didnthurt

Agree on more budget kit reviews. You could also create a forum user section with their kit reviews.

I like the ride reports, can you also put a members only link on your site for the routes? I know you do it for some but not all.

How about an events section? Where you could list as many of the cycling events across the UK and even international ones. You could then have forum links imbedded so people can discuss them. If you then added sponsored links then you could generate income that way.

How about a calendar where people can input their local semi-organised rides. That way I could (for example) look at the calendar for next week and see if their are group rides I could attend. Would help push the social side of mountain biking a bit more.

How a list of riders route reports, you could then also create a data base of routes, something like walk Highlands do
    https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

Can’t talk for everyone but I’d quite like a personalised (subtle) Singletrack sticker with my forum name that I could then affix to my bars. Would be a perfect way to identify (maybe avoid 😜) other Singletrack forum users out on the trails.

It would also be good if there was a ‘common questions’ section on the forum, how many threads do we really need on ‘what tyres’ or ‘e-bikes are bad! Discuss’ I’m probably as bad as anyone for creating new threads that are about something already covered 🙄

pondo

I wouldn’t have any issue if the digital subscription cost was put up.

This, but will upgrade anyhow come payday. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 261 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.