Cost of commuting…

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Cost of commuting…
  • tjagain

HMRC give 45p a mile for car use IIRC.  they don’t give money away.  around that is the true cost of motoring including all the stuff people forget when adding up the costs

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Rail to clackmannon then cycle?  Is it Clackmannon the new bit of railway goes to?  Or alloa?

Dunblane -> Alloa is 1hr10mins by train or bus, plus best part of an hour cycle to do 16 miles…. Or the car is 40mins.

tjagain

its less than that by the trains I looked at  7.44 am 35 mins- but the wait in Stirling is too much to make it a useful option as the actual train journeys are only a few mins ( 8 and 12) and most trains have a worse connection

timc

Recently moved from Liverpool to Bolton, commute has gone from walk & 20 mins train to 1 hour plus drive each way, cost is anout £3/4000 a year increase but the real cost is in my time! Be sure you want to sacrafice that time!!

<p>under £4 on the train BOA to alloa</p>

<p>WTAF? £4.10 single from Dunblane, Anytime Return £5.60.</p><p></p><p>Costs double that from Troon to Glasgow which is 10 minutes longer and £8.40 from Largs where the Anytime return is £14.80. On a train that is rammed.</p><p></p><p>Anyway, looking at that bike reservations may be necessary. If I had a journey that cheap I’d consider it. Still a bugger for weather either by cycle or car though.</p>

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Matt oab

Around 2005-7 I was doing that length of commute.

Certainly in the South it was a royal pain in the arse and I had a company car so everything but washer fluid, oil and diesel was “free”.

I used to do about 350 miles a week (16000 a year) in a 50mpg car. In current money that would have been about £200/month in fuel.£2400 per annum.

If you use decent tyres you can add £350-400 a year for them plus another service say £300 plus any unscheduled wear and tear items.

If you factor in everything I’d say it’s going to cost up around £3500k a year including wear and tear items. That’s after tax effectively.

If it were my current car I’d easily add another £1000 to that (a little bit sub 50mpg and this one’s been a bit flaky mechanically). Thankfully I do 2/3 that distance now and only when the train won’t do the job.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.