Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Corpse road info
  • mtbfix

Inspired by the piece in this month’s mag (yes, there’s a mag) I fancy digging out the maps and looking for some of these local to me. Is there a good (by good I mean free and on the Internet) resource for locating these historic routes?

CountZero

Google? DuckDuckGo?

Nipper99
    Free Member

Old county series OS sheets, Enclosure Awards, Tithe Maps etc.

MoreCashThanDash

Be interested in this as well, the articles have piqued my interest as well.

Ambrose

FWIW, The Corpse Road aka The Roman Road, The old road, the turnpike road, the cinema road over the Black Mountain and down into Brynamman is really good until you get within 500m of the fridd wall (intake). From there on it is a bog! So head 100 m east and you will find the sweetest bit of singletrack you could ever hope to see, followed by a steppy descent into the old quarry.

Sandwich

Keep an eye out for old roads marked The Causeway. It’s a corruption of corpse way.

mtbfix

Keep an eye out for old roads marked The Causeway. It’s a corruption of corpse way.

Scouring of OS sheets will ensue.

maccruiskeen

Old county series OS sheets, Enclosure Awards, Tithe Maps etc.

If you’re looking in a particular area you can use resource below from the national libraries of scotland (it covers the whole UK) that allows you to go back in time through various OS and other maps of a location. They’ve been synced with the modern satellite view so you can fade each map in and out over the satellite view and see whats still in evidence on the ground

NLS Maps thing

Nipper99
    Free Member

Where does that run Ambrose?

Ambrose

‘Keep an eye out for old roads marked The Causeway. It’s a corruption of corpse way. ‘ Brilliant- thanks 🙂

Nipper- The track is stunningly wonderful apart from the one boggy bit. Ride it during a drought or a heavy frost. It starts near Troed Gwcwr (Cuckoo Corner) on the A4069, the Brynamman Mountain road.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=270930&y=219315&z=120&sv=270930,219315&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=553&ax=270930&ay=219315&lm=0

Head south, uphill. Once over the top the track becomes quite special, somebody once put in a lot of work up there.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Thanks Ambrose.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Corpse road info’ is closed to new replies.