• This topic has 72 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Cornwall – is it as bad as the media are makng out
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

We’re booked to go camping in Cornwall in late August. Booked it back in January as our main holiday for the year.
    So throughout the whole Coronavirus it’s been on/off/on in our heads so many times. At the moment it is on, but then I’m reading all the media horror stories about how crowded it is, lack of social distancing, locals afraid to leave the house, etc…
    Are we being irresponsible by still going or is it all being massively overhyped by the media to sell papers? Anyone been there themselves recently or live there that can give a more realisic appraisal?
    We’re heading for Perranporth with 3 kids and 2 dogs. The dogs mean that we tend to avoid all the most popular beaches anyway and don’t spend a huge amount of time loitering around towns.

rhys
    Free Member

Errr yes. It’s mental. I live in Holywell, have never seen the beach so busy (I’ve previously lifeguarded here and Perran Sands)
    The biggest issue is the attitude of a significant number of tourists. Basically challenging the use of masks and distancing “because we’ve come away to get away from all that”!! I’m not exaggerating I’ve heard it from 3 different businesses. One of the most popular Watergate restaurants Wax even put out a Facebook appeal to people to help get the message across.

I don’t want to put you off, you’ll have a great time but you will need to search out quieter spots and get on the roads early. On quote from the lifeguards at Perranporth was that there used to be sand!

bsims
    Free Member

Last week I saw no sign of it being mental in Newquay and the vast majority were in masks, must have kicked off this weekend!

Wally

Just come back and I was in Portreath, so near you.
    It’s only busy if you are a total Emmet and only go to the most obvious honey traps at peak time. I was surfing with a seal at one point and we were very much alone.

rossburton
    Free Member

Yes.

The tourist places are rammed and even the out-of-the-way places that I went to over the weekend (Towan beach/Porth Farm on the Roseland) are busy. Obviously Perranporth beach in summer is like a shanty town anyway so you’ll avoid that, but be prepared for the coast paths and usually relatively quiet beaches to be busy.

Ended up going here this weekend as my daughter really wanted a paddle. This is a tiny beach you have to clamber down rocks to reach, and as you can see it’s still busy!

cookeaa

We went to Devon the week before last, stayed in an apartment in Westward Ho! and spent most days either at Saunton sands or walking out locally from the apartment.

There was plenty of space on the Beaches and most people seemed to be building their windbreak/popup tent isolation castles well apart from each other.

Westward Ho wasn’t a ghost town, but it wasn’t overrun, you could safely distance from others and get about unimpeded.

But then we managed to get there the week before most schools officially broke up and we certainly didn’t visit somewhere as busy as say Newquay. We’ve got some friend booked in to Newquay in mid-August and I reckon it’ll be far busier.

I think it’s just going to be a case of trying not to visit the obvious hot spots, and being prepared to just turn around and head somewhere different if you find yourself arriving at a busy venue, ideally go for places that have a pre-booking system in operation.

Just have contingencies and don’t expect to be hitting all the major attractions.
    Beach Days and and a bit of coastal walking, both with a packed lunch is probably the best idea in Cornwall/Devon right now… (IMO)

scruff
    Free Member

Ive just got back from StIves, it was busier than normal and we left the beach one day as it was too crowded at high tide. Avoid middle of the day and it was OK.
    I did get a local ask me if you need to use a mask in the coop and she went batshit mental at me as she didnt want to wear one.

jkomo

Looking at the photos that accompanied the horror headlines, the beaches looked okay, not saying some beaches aren’t rammed, but the photos the papers used looked like there was plenty of room.
    Woolacombe 2 weeks ago was fine, we easily had 2 metres around us, we were on the dog friendly bit which is huge.

docrobster
    Free Member

Just came back from a week at Gwithian sands. Had a day in st ives and a few hours in Falmouth. Godrevy nt car parks were full all the time but plenty of room on the beaches. St ives wasn’t as busy as I’ve seen it before. The waitress serving us our delicious sea food meal at the cellar bistro was very happy that the tourists were back. You need to prebook if you want to eat out and the chi chi places like porthminster kitchen are booked solid all month already. Sennen was pretty rammed but isn’t it always?
    Fantastic place and no hassle as long as you are sensible.
    Rammed beaches last week

MoreCashThanDash

We have friends at Devoran and Falmouth. Both have said it’s the busiest they can remember.

docrobster
    Free Member

To be fair Falmouth was busier than st ives. Seemed like everyone was walking along the same street. Step 50 paces from st ives harbour and it was fine.

bensales
    Free Member

I’m off to Portreath on Saturday for a week self catering. Hopefully it’s not too horrendous, but I have made sure to book a click’n’collect slot at Truro Sainsbury’s for Sunday morning!

grum
    Free Member

I’m sure it is busy but I’m getting quite sick of all the papers doing that thing with a very long lens and a side on angle that makes the beach look as full as possible – even in so-called quality newspapers.

Wally

Hi Bensales, Atlantic bar is open and doing well, Portreath Arms Tapas was excellent and Chinese worth a punt one night. The sunsets over the over the beach.

snaps
    Free Member

A mate runs a recovery garage in N Devon says Friday & Saturday were his busiest ever.

20 mile south bound M5 tailbacks on the AA traffic website on Friday afternoon.

ajantom

We’ve gone the opposite way, from Devon to the IoW…..much quieter here!

Sidmouth was rammed last week, encountered multiple grockles who didn’t understand the concept of personal space and/or the need to wear masks.

fettlin

Got back this Saturday from a week in the Bude area, not the busiest I’ve seen it, or Padstow, Watergate Bay, Instow or Saunton Sands (spent a day at each, amongst others).

Whilst there weren’t quite the hordes of people the papers are making out, those that were there don’t seem to have got the memo about masks or social distancing (one way systems in shops and around Bude proving very tricky for some!).

As others have said, if your sensible and prepared to put a bit of leg work in then you can have a pleasant time.

merk
    Free Member

I’m here now. Busy enough to create a buzz around town without it feeling dangerously busy.

As far as masks go, I’ve seen no more maskless idiots down here than back home (Peak District). Turns out Muppets will be Muppets wherever they are.

Public toilets are my only concern – busy, cramped spaces with questionable hygiene.

longmover
    Free Member

What scares a lot of the locals and gets them wound up is there is only one main hospital in Cornwall. There is also a Cornish contingent who hate tourists during a normal year so those people are just getting louder.

Drac

Some friends just got back at the weekend from a week away, they said the press massively exaggerated it busy but not too bad. Around here it’s the busiest I’ve seen it for a very long time. Some areas are packed crowds but go to the right spots it’s not too bad.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Went to Falmouth / Lizard / Roseland Peninsula at the beginning of July (just after hotels/accommodation had re-opened) to walk 40 miles of the SWCP.

As above, tourists seem to flock to the honey traps so Kynance Cove and Mullion were absolutely heaving, while just along the coast the enormous Porthleven Sands was completely empty.

In Falmouth the town centre was very busy (no one making an effort to keep social distance and the pub gardens were rammed) but our hotel was empty.

ta11pau1

Heading down to Exmoor for 4 days of riding on a guided trip tomorrow, we’re on a closed campsite (only previous bookings being allowed on) in the middle of exmoor, so think we’ll be OK 😀

Met office is giving 31 degrees in Kent Fri/Sat and mid-20’s down there, bliss!

rhys
    Free Member

At the moment many people are listening to the news and hearing about Leicester, the North West and Greater Manchester and then hearing the accents out and about. Many people have taken the lockdown seriously and have only really ventured out recently coinciding with the arrival of crowds. We’ve escaped the worst of it so far but I’ve heard first hand that all NHS leave is cancelled for late Sept and Oct expecting a wave of cases. I have many friends who own holiday accommodation so am not anti tourist (I’m from Caernarfon in North Wales originally) we wouldn’t survive without them. They all have experience of people seeming to ignore social distancing including visitors from for example Leicester insisting they are travelling down a day into their additional restrictions. As for those of you commenting about exaggeration I do actually live here! Yes you can find quiet spots and as I said you will have a great time but be prepared to work harder to find those spots. There is a reason the popular places are popular! Other places are less popular, some because they don’t have direct access e.g. Nanjizal and the like, others because they are not that nice.
    You will find a great welcome and we’ve managed to get the RNLI to fulfil their commitment to lifeguarding.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

try and keep people away.

over the last week we have tried to see friends both on and off the bikes at a distance. we appear to be the only ones trying to keep a social distance.

This.

As for tourist traps. It just goes to show that people are as thick as mince. Bad year for a holiday.

‘Give it a miss this year. Do day-trips to quiet local spots?’
    ‘Nah, think I’ll drive 240 miles, find a tiny coastal bottleneck with two shops and 2000 others so we can celebrate the joy of holiday’

It is bad. Ma in law lives in coastal town in Cornwall. She and her husband are basically prisoners in their own home since March and looks set to continue u til the next ‘lockdown’. We speak on the phone. She’s a smart person, keeps up with current events and has always been community-minded, politically active, upbeat, drama-less and a force of nature who always tries to find the best in people. As of yesterday she’s advising us to get tins and dry food in for the second wave. Sounds hacked off with it all. I hope that she’s wrong.

ferrals
    Free Member

It seems significantly busier here in S. Wales – however I think some of it is just down to locals (or localish) people still being furloughed (or working at home flexibly) so having the time for day trips when the weather is nice. There also seems to be the attitude that you need to make the most of things now before we get locked down again

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

There also seems to be the attitude that you need to make the most of things now before we get locked down again

It’s weird, I saw more people walking on the street here during ‘lockdown’ than I have in 15 years of living here. Much quieter now except for motor-traffic. Probably driving to hotspots and retail parks 👍🏼👍🏼

JAG

Father-in-Law lives in Perranporth.

He’s telling us that it’s very busy, that some people are not wearing masks in shops and that social distancing is a distant memory to some.

To balance that remark – Perranporth is ALWAYS busy at this time of year. The other stuff (masks and distancing) is just people being dicks. That happens all over and is just people, not specifically the people on holiday in Cornwall.

The lack of hospitals in the area would be more of a concern given the population boom that they are currently enduring. If they get a spike in COVID-19 the Cornish are not well placed to deal with it.

jam-bo

i made the mistake of heading over to polzeath for surf late on a thursday evening last week. it was rammed. when i got out of the water at 9.30 there must have still been 100 people in the water. surf again this thursday but i’ll do a dawny this time.

dartmoor & west devon is pretty busy although not crazy but the thing I have noticed is the amount of rubbish being left behind everywhere, and the amount of people ‘wild camping’ in their cars in pretty much every laybay and carpark on the moors.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The lack of hospitals in the area would be more of a concern given the population boom that they are currently enduring. If they get a spike in COVID-19 the Cornish are not well placed to deal with it.

100% this. But do you really think that’s what’s on most people’s minds when they’re packing their icebox and kids/other half in the car for a much-needed break?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My Instagram is rammed full of people heading to the SW over the last few weeks. Pics of the M5 at a standstill etc so all completely normal summer holiday stuff. Apart from its not a normal summer holiday. We were going to be heading down there but no way – spending a few days in an isolated part of the Dales and then at home doing loads of riding etc. Hopefully try and get down there in October.

pedlad

What scares a lot of the locals and gets them wound up is there is only one main hospital in Cornwall. There is also a Cornish contingent who hate tourists during a normal year so those people are just getting louder.

There is a nightingale hospital in exeter currently seconded to cancer-care I believe.

jam-bo

There is a nightingale hospital in exeter currently seconded to cancer-care I believe.

120 miles from lands end to exeter…

bsims
    Free Member

120 miles from lands end to exeter…

Must be further by road Shirley?

Edit : no, aa route planner confirms 120

kelvin

Feels like twice as far!

jam-bo

no fast miles down here.

fettlin

Just a small note after listening to R2 just now, we went to a few pubs/eateries during our stay and not one asked for or took any details for track and trace.

We were probably a bit over cautious with masks, hand sanitizer and keeping our distance but it does seem even the local businesses are ignoring government guidelines.

kelvin

A lot of work to make the roads faster in recent years… but that work can only really be appreciated in the winter!

jam-bo

A lot of work to make the roads faster in recent years… but that work can only really be appreciated in the winter!

as long as you don’t want to go south of carland cross, and even then it doesn’t take much for the A30 to grind to a halt.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Carland Cross section getting done soon.

MoreCashThanDash

Just a small note after listening to R2 just now, we went to a few pubs/eateries during our stay and not one asked for or took any details for track and trace.

I’m astonished by that – been to 3-4 small cafes when I’ve been out riding in the last couple of weeks, and every single one took my name and number. And probably not because I look devilishly handsome in my lycra.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Cornwall – is it as bad as the media are makng out’ is closed to new replies.