Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Cornwall battered
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Flipping eck it was wild last night!

We’ve lost part of our garage roof, roads are closed, trains cancelled – very strong winds and flooding.

Did my usual cycle this morning and there’s a lot of trees and debris down as well as flooding.

I may be blind but I don’t recall any weather warnings for this one…

IanMunro
    Free Member

They were cancelled due to coverage of some fop getting wed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like AWESOME weather.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hmm – maybe if you’re an EXTREME sailor or something but it was actually rather inconvenient.

Hohum
    Free Member

Just watching the met office rainfall radar and you can see some pretty vivid returns on it down in Cornwall.

The Met Office did issue a warning last night at 22.32:

Local areas affected Warning type Valid from Valid to
    South West England:
    Cornwall & Isles of Scilly
    Devon
    Plymouth
    Torbay
    Heavy Rain 0400 Wed 17 1300 Wed 17
    Persistent heavy rain on Wednesday will give accumulations of 30 mm or more quite widely with 50 mm or more locally on the slopes of south Devon and Cornwall.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Environment Agency, Floodline, and Flood Warnings in force, and to refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 2232 Tue 16 Nov

Sounds like it was too late though.

yossarian
    Free Member

did you not offer to fight the weather surf-mat?

I’m sure you would have scared it away with your intense awesomeness

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A weather warning at 22.32?! Hmmm – handy!

Yoss – yep I was kept awake for a bit then fell asleep. I then picked up bits of our garage roof of the ground this morning. Awesome.

Clearly none of you have yet tired of the awesome thing yet?

trailmonkey

It’s Cornwalls’ job to take the worst out of the bad weather before it crosses the Tamar into England.

yossarian
    Free Member

easy tiger

beamers

Sounds like you might need some sort of rugged off road vehicle to cope with the conditions.

Hohum
    Free Member

Never even started into it Mat.

The thread still has not been tagged yet though, so there is maybe some hope that your “followers” are tiring.

iDave
    Free Member

maybe they gave a weather warning as soon as the info they had suggested they should?

Cougar

Sounds like AWESOME weather.

Sounds like an AWESOME pastie.

jimster
    Free Member

Cornwall battered in November storms shocker!!

Can remember one year have the promenade being washed away between Penzance and Newlyn in October, rebuilt by December, it happens.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

iDave – well 22.32 was while the storm was actually happening.

That’s not a forecast, that’s a weather report.

On the upside, despite the storm, the ride this morning was stunning – sunrise, nice and calm, quiet. Lovely.

jimster
    Free Member

Maybe you missed the warning

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Good to see your post though Mattie. Been worried about you all morning. Should have known it would take more than a mere storm to get you 😉

Hohum
    Free Member

Woohay!

I have been tagged, my first ever.

Awesome 😉

Errr, sorry Mat.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

East Cornwall copped it much more than we did here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-11772262

But thank you DD – your concern is appreciated 😉

DaRC_L

I like the way that Cornwall seems to have achieved (temporary) independence via this storm – all the roads and rail links seem to be blocked 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

take the awesomeness as a compliment buddy 🙂

unlucky with the weather! any good waves though?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mat the AWESOME thing was abating but when we heard of your dad’s exploits, well, it’s time to set up a religion.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Seems to have calmed down know but it was pretty ferce in Devon in the night, few more fence panels down.

They just use the west country as an obserbvation area to predict the weather for the rest of the country.

I don’t think the met office building can have any windows as we are only 10 miles from it.

kaesae
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate, I hope you and yours are OK.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Al – I’ve mentioned his musical exploits before. He was quite a well known bass player; woopee doo.

Darc – damn good point there!

Big – exactly. I’m sure since they’ve moved from Bracknell to Exeter, their SW forecasts have actually got worse!

Phil – bit all over the place wave-wise but some good stuff on the way.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

weather warning DURING a storm, good one 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

yeah.. I think the met office take their data for the whole South West region from Dunkeswell.. not very reliable

Storm was pretty tame by the time it hit East Devon.. no doubt the sea wall here was breached but that’s becoming commonplace during the stormy season..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I liked the BBC coverage this morning though…

Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills

Ohh, Cornwall is under 4 ft of water.

Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills Wills n Kate Kate n Wills

My brother is happy though – only been living there 5 minutes and he has been told by his work not to travel so he is at home playing COD Black Ops 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

😯

this is what “the day after tomorrow” warned us about…. time to stock up on penicillin, canned food, dennis quaids and mathletes!

orena45

Thankfully my (wooden) house, south of Camborne, was still standing when I woke up this morning! Sounded pretty breezy last night but we live at the top of a hill so no worries of flooding for us 🙂

wonnyj
    Free Member

Why is surf-mat so awesome? I must have missed a crucial thread.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

we live at the top of a hill so no worries of flooding for us

There is still the worry, just others would have much more to worry about 😉

orena45

mastiles_fanylion – indeed…I’ll be worried when I see Noah sailing past my front window (maybe with Surf-Mat wakeboarding behind?) 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

maybe with Surf-Mat wakeboarding behind

LOL (Imagines SM, all ripped muscles, one arm in the air waving as he passes by…)

yunki
    Free Member

Imagines SM, all ripped muscles, one arm in the air waving as he passes by..

enough of your erotic fantasies young man…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

8)

(I already have this mental image of him holding a lion’s tail in the fashion of Wagner from XFactor…) 😯

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My wheely bin fell over – why didn’t the BBC come round and tell me? 👿

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

“One minute it was just lapping at the front door with no problem and I was just lifting a few boxes then I opened the front door and it just came pouring through. The speed of it was very, very surprising.”

*snigger* So it is flooded outside, you open your door and the flood comes in your shop? Quelle suprise!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

mf – LOL at Wills/BBC comment!

Wakeboarding behind the Arc – now there’s an idea.

Took the Landy instead of the BM today (took our little one swimming) but it was overkill TBH – a few branches down and a few little floodlets. Still ripped our bloody garage roof off though – dammit.

Tarpaulin now covering anything that might not like getting wet – chiefly all the bikes.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What you going on about? It’s fine here in London, so that’s all that matters really.

Anyone would think it’s something serious. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Cornwall battered’ is closed to new replies.