Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Corner Office Desk ideas?
  • stumpy01

I bought an Argos desk at the start of lockdown & it’s generally fine, although a bit too shallow. With my monitor & keyboard in front of me, I can’t get an A4 pad on there too, which is a pain.
    It’s this one (looks better in the flesh!) – https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6169639

After a recent ergo assessment, my boss told me to get a larger desk & I can claim it back on expenses.
    I want to keep the current desk & shuffle it round the room to put my 3D printer on.
    I then thought I could butt-up a corner desk to it which would give me a decent amount of working surface.
    But, they all seems a bit erm, utilitarian (like proper office furniture). Or mega-expensive.
    Like this:
    https://www.furniture-work.co.uk/vitali-c-leg-right-hand-ergonomic-desk-silver-legs.html

Anything that looks a bit more like ‘home furniture’ generally doesn’t have a deep enough work surface, or is super expensive.

Any ideas?
    I know I could get some virgin-felled teak & whittle a custom desk with bespoke welded Reynolds tubing legs etc. but I would prefer to just get something off the shelf.
    I suppose if there was a simple option of ‘buy this worktop, these legs and screw them together’, then that might also be an option.

Ta…

jimdubleyou

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/linnmon-corner-table-top-white-50251133/

Any good?

Can buy whatever legs you want…

Coyote
    Free Member

I got the Proteus desk from Furniture Work. Very happy with the quality and space that it affords me. Tip? Go for the biggest that you can fit.

I’ve just ordered the 3 draw pod to go with mine. Should free up loads of space in the office.

#thug-life

stumpy01

jimdubleyou

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/linnmon-corner-table-top-white-50251133/

Any good?

I did look at those on Ikea, but I’d want to add an extension onto at least one end rather than it just being a corner – and the straight bits are only 60 deep which is what my current desk is – and that’s too shallow.

Coyote

I got the Proteus desk from Furniture Work. Very happy with the quality and space that it affords me. Tip? Go for the biggest that you can fit.

Interesting – this is one of the ones I’ve been looking at. To be honest, there seems to be quite a few on that website with different names that are virtually identical; just different shaped legs.
    I was gonna go for the 160 wide right hand corner & then stick my current desk on the short end running down the neighbouring wall.

simon_g

Ikea Alex drawers plus a worktop is a pretty common way to get a cheapish but nice looking desk. I did one for my wife built into the corner with battens on the wall to support the back edge.

tonyd

Budget? I got one of these a few years ago, except rather than the pedestal it has an extension on the narrow right hand side which adds about 2 feet and has 4 draws. Can’t see it on the website and can’t remember how to embed photos to a post, I can email you some if you want.

I have two 24″ monitors on my desk with lots of room for keyboard, mouse, notepads, tea, etc. The deepest (left) side of the desk is a little over twice as deep as an A4 sheet, it’s about 3 x A4 deep into the corner.

https://www.jdkconcept.co.uk/product-page/corner-desk-right-hand-with-2-drawer-mobile-pedestal-1-filing-drawer

[Edit] A right handed version of the corner desk shown here:
    https://www.jdkconcept.co.uk/videos

stumpy01

Thanks for the idea tonyd – that looks like a good value desk seeing as it comes with the cabinet too. I was hoping for something with open sides/ends as the room is quite small & I think closed ends would make it look even smaller if that makes sense?
    Budget-wise, I am not too sure. We’ve been told we can get what we need. I suspect a couple of hundred quid for a desk won’t get too much notice from my boss.

No dimensions on that website, which is a bit weird.

tonyd

Tis weird. They are a pretty small outfit though and not that good at advertising judging by the web site!

I just measured mine, it’s 1.4m x 1m without the extension. The extension with the 4 draws takes it to 1.4m x 1.6m. Deepest side of the desk is 77cm, shallowest (where the draws are) is 42cm. Depth into the corner is about 96cm. My room is pretty small so I don’t notice the ends – one end there is a cabinet and the other a bookshelf.

yetidave
    Free Member

We have one of these, but got it from argos about 10 years ago. Its a bit rubbish from a material point of view but has been invaluable in the last 10 months. Laptop sits on top, spare screen to the side, keyboard on the bottom bit, with space for a A4 diary. Even space for a coffee cup. Printer could sit in the space a computer was meant to. Unfortunately this is not available just now, but good for an idea.

db

Get an up down sit stand desk. Your back will thank you!

dannybgoode

I ordered a second hand proper office job. Have always found the flat pack ones wobbly and never big enough. Paid somewhere around £140 delivered and installed and it’s been brilliant.

Loads of space and not a hint of wobble.

rossburton
    Free Member

Ikea Bekant desks come in corner configurations (sitting at one now) and they’re pretty huge. 2x 24″ monitors and three laptops on mine right now.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bekant-corner-desk-left-white-black-s09006408/ is what I have. There’s some dings in the surface from when the movers managed to drop a metal something on it, but to be honest that most likely would have cracked cheaper surfaces. The cabling net underneath is awesome.

stumpy01

db

I did consider one of these, but forgot about them. I will take a look.
    Any idea how much you need to spend to get a half decent one?

dannybgoode

I ordered a second hand proper office job. Have always found the flat pack ones wobbly and never big enough. Paid somewhere around £140 delivered and installed and it’s been brilliant.

Loads of space and not a hint of wobble.

There is a place near me that does second hand office furniture but the stuff on that furniture-work website looks virtually identical. I am not averse to second hand, but most of the desks come with pedestal storage that tacks on the end, which don’t have room for.

prawny

I’m getting a clamp on monitor stand for my desk for this reason, I just can’t fit enough on it, but there’s not enough room in my house for a proper commercial sized desk. A clamp on monitor stand frees up a good 6 inches or so.

I’m planning on getting a twin monitor set up so I can put my laptop in a shelf underneath or something to free up more space, my laptop and riser take up a load of valuable space.

nbt

I did consider one of these, but forgot about them. I will take a look.
    Any idea how much you need to spend to get a half decent one?

About £400

https://flexispot.co.uk/height-adjustable-desks/l-shaped-electric-height-adjustable-desk-frame.html

I got one a couple of months ago (an EQ4 with regular top, not l-shaped) and it’s been great. Fast delivery, not too hard to assemble. Really easy to use

stumpy01

Woah! Some great ideas everyone! I’m glad I asked!

@rossburton
    – I think our posts crossed last night. I hadn’t seen that Bekant desk on Ikea. Somewhat annoyingly there are no full dimensions on it – I take it that it’s 160 wide & 110 deep (in it’s deepest part?). Would you be able to do me a massive favour & measure the depth of the worktop part where it thins down, rather than the thicker corner bit? It would help greatly.

@prawny
    – I considered getting some kind of mount for my monitor to move it back off the desk itself. To make this work though, i’d have to move the desk away from the wall a bit & would then have a large gap. So I might as well get a deeper desk – if my company wasn’t paying for it, I’d probably be doing this.

@nbt
    – great link, thanks! I didn’t find any l-shaped sit/stand desks when looking (not very thoroughly) & most of them were quite shallow. It looks like the L-shaped desktop is only 600 deep in it’s shallow portion, but they do a non-corner option which is 1600×800 deep & probably would negate the need for a corner.
    Only thing is the base is £400 and the top another £100. Not sure the budget will stretch to £500.

BigJohn

I design and build (among other things) home offices and am a keen advocate of corner desks when they are suitable. But suitable means that you have at least 1500mm of free wall space on both walls, ideally a lot more. They get rid of the wasted space in a corner but the work top needs to be about 700mm deep to be comfortable. No need for the desk itself to be curved, 2 pieces of worktop joined at 90 degrees works fine, if supported ok.

nbt

you can mix and match bases and tops. Mine was £330 with a 700*1400 top, a few quid extra for a bigger top. You can even just buy the base and get your own top from somewhere else

https://flexispot.co.uk/height-adjustable-desks/standing-desk-eq4.html
    that’s the desk I got with the 700*1400 mahogany top. it’s £379.98 with the 1200*800 top, but then code NYEQ4 gets another £50 off so £330, which is what I paid. Or buy with no desktop for 299.99, £50 off gives you 249.99, add the 1600*800 desktop for another £100, total 350. Not bad

db

Hey if your boss is paying…

What price do they put on your health? Don’t they have a obligation here to provide you the right equipment?

Said slightly in jest but a decent desk costs money and you should be afraid to approach the company and ask them. Even if they offer to pay a proportion based on business/personal use?

fazzini

I got a brilliant desk from a second hand furniture place. £45. Yes its old office furniture but it does the job. Bought a monitor stand for £15 from VidaXL, although they are £23 now.

Monitor stand

The furniture place had lots of corner desks too and they seemed to sell much slower.

hopkinsgm

@stumpy01
    re: Ikea Brekant corner desk – the 110cm refers to the deepest bit at the corner end, and tapers down to 60cm at the narrow end, but it’s a gradual taper from the middle of the curve of the corner – I’m currently sat at one, 2 24″ monitors, laptop, keyboard and mouse at the deeper “corner” end, printer down at the narrow end, still space for mugs, notepads and general desktop clutter etc.

stumpy01

db

Hey if your boss is paying…

What price do they put on your health? Don’t they have a obligation here to provide you the right equipment?

Yeah, to be fair – there is never a quibble over stuff when people need it. They paid immediately for my current desk & office chair. They had to outfit a lot of people with kit so I suspect the outlay wasn’t cheap.
    They also got one of those sit-stand desks for a colleague who was having chronic back issues, so they are a pretty understanding employer in that regard.
    I generally don’t have any back-related problems though, so perhaps the sit-stand desk would be a hard-sell. I wouldn’t be averse to going 50/50 on it, to be honest if that’s the way I decide to go.

@bigjohn
    – yeah, this is conclusion I am slowly coming to. The very corner of my room is pretty much dead space at the moment. A right-hand corner desk could slot into the erm, right hand corner nicely & then I could run the desk I am currently using down the right hand wall, tacked onto the end of the new desk. I think that would mainly be for overflow/3D printer although i really need to sort out some quieter stepper drivers & fan options for the 3-D printer. It’s quite noisy when working in the same room.

rossburton
    Free Member

@stumpy01: excuse the mess.

The skinniest bit on the long side to the left (A) is 60cm deep. The middle bit where you sit is 70cm deep. I’m missing a monitor but I did have two 24″ on that stand. That’s a 15″ laptop on the left and two 13″ laptops.

dmorts

Unless the room is quite large, corner desks can be an inefficient usage of the space. Yes, you get more worktop area, but not all of it is as fully usable compared to a rectangular desk of the same area and the desk and chair stick out into the room more.
    A normal rectangular desk pushed into the corner might be better. You could always have a small shelving unit under the desk and along the side wall.

the-muffin-man

excuse the mess.

…where’s the mess!! 🙂

That’s better than my desk after I’ve had a tidy up!

lunge

On this subject, does anyone know anywhere that does custom sized desk for not silly money. I have a space in the office that needs a corner desk but it seems no-one does any that fit that space. I basically need an Ikea Bakant but with a long end that’s 20cm shorter.

tonyd

Pfft. I thought I’d remembered how to share a photo, turns out I hadn’t so post deleted. Move along….

stumpy01

rossburton

excuse the mess.

LOL. Mess, you say!!

Here is my current situation:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kqaZWS]PXL_20210108_132047211[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

That’s a 14″ laptop & 27″ monitor. It’s mainly the depth of the desk when trying to use a pad to make notes while also flicking between the keyboard.

And this is a tragic picture of untidyness that really needs sorting! The plan would be to move my current desk to the right hand side where the 3D printer is and then put the new desk in the corner.
    I can’t really do that without having a massive clear-up, so it will force my hand!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kqfnyL]PXL_20210108_132126610[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve decluttered somewhat and you can’t see to the side of the desk…

My glorious plan involves a new desk and Ikea Ivar units. Long desk for plenty of space, maybe along the entire wall (worktopdirect surface, and hairpin legs). One Ivar drawer unit (80cm wide, 50cm deep, 60cm high) on little legs, under the desk. One Ivar tall shelving unit (180cm high, 50cm deep) with a cabinet not actually attached but on casters, rear panel removed, for electrical stuff like printer/NAS/router. By putting it on wheels I can just wheel it out when I need access but otherwise it looks like a cupboard.

stumpy01

I was chatting with @robbo1234biking & @oopnorth this morning during a workout & realised I hadn’t updated this post.

I ended up ordering a Maestro corner desk from Atlantis Office last week. This one:

New Desk

It was delivered quickly, went together with no problems & is rock-solid. Given the task of clearing the room out, building this thing & getting everything back in, it basically took me all of Saturday last weekend.
    Unfortunately this is a room that we should have re-decorated years ago & have never got round to. But, it looks tons better now! I just need to try & keep it that way & there’s been a ton of stuff we have moved to another spare room to ‘sort out’ at some undefined time in the future!!

Annoyingly I must have got my measurements wrong as I was planning on moving the previous desk round to the right & getting rid of the old computer desk that the 3-D printer is sitting on. Unfortunately the previous desk doesn’t fit by about 10cm, so I am stuck with the old desk for the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions from people & those who were willing to take measurements/post pics etc. It was all very helpful.

Pics of how it looked before are above.

Here’s a pic during the clearout…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2kuxANU]PXL_20210116_120218767[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

and here’s once the new desk was in…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2kux5Ch]PXL_20210116_171854308[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

robbo1234biking

Looks good @stumpy01

I hope your day job doesn’t rely on you being capable of taking measurements though 😉

stumpy01

Hmmm. I must have been distracted or something 🙂
    It wasn’t even like I was out by a cm or two….!

Only problem now is that I have to climb on the desk to open the window or close the blind – the life of a short arse…..

Could do with some artwork or a few pics on the walls to brighten it up now.

robbo1234biking

Only problem now is that I have to climb on the desk to open the window or close the blind – the life of a short arse….

My wife had a C-section but the Dr who did the operation was about 4ft5 high. She had a special stool in the operating theatre for this situation to allow her to get high enough as the operating tables didn’t go low enough for her!

daneparks
    Free Member

Last week one of my old friends was also looking for this kind of corner office desk for their home office and he purchases it from the online store. That desk is very comfortable and he is very happy now.

ta11pau1

Missed this, but an Ikea Bekant is a great option, loads of room.

Mine has a 13″ laptop, 34″ UW 21:9 monitor, 23″ 16:9 monitor, headphone stand, charging dock. Could easily fit another 23″ monitor on the right.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Corner Office Desk ideas?’ is closed to new replies.