Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Corneal Abrasion
  • willard

Great fun. Not.

After the second swipe at some weeds with a scythe, a stone pinged up and smacked me square in the left eye. I actually saw this small dot get bigger until something like a hammer hit me. Cue a two hour wait at A&E to be told I have a decent sized corneal abrasion that just missed the pupil.

I now have chloroamphenicol to stick in my eye four times a day for five days and the painful feeling that i have broken glass in my eye now that the local anaesthetic has worn off.

my eye is leaking and my nose is running.

Ace.

CountZero

Possibly a little late to point out that protective eyewear should be worn when doing anything like that, but knowing how painful it is just getting a small fly or bit of grit in the eye, I can only imagine what that must feel like. I’ve had small elastic bands break and flick up into my eye as well, and that bloody smarts, too!
    Hope it heals up soon.

DickBarton

I have that…get them to check the wound after a few days…and keep applying the Ointment after the 5 days. Keeping the eye moist will help the abrasion heal as it won’t stick to your eyelid.
    I didn’t and 6 months on it is finally healed but I’ve 2 more months of Ointment to make sure!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willard

I know I should have been wearing glasses. I even had them with me in the van. Well, live and learn I guess.

The only problem I have is that I’m off to the states for work on Thursday, so anything else that needs to be done will have to wait until after that.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not wishing to be a doom-monger, but my wife got a scratch on her cornea 2 yrs ago from one of the kids sticking their finger in her eye. She’s had it debrided twice – which involves a doctor scraping it with a hypodermic needle – but it’s still not right. She can see fine, but has to put drops in several times a day, and some sort of grease at night, otherwise the eyelid sticks to the cornea with resultant agony. Debriding with acid is the next option under consideration.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Stabbed my eye with a screw driver by accident.

A&E gave me eye drops as it caught the white but didn’t go all the way.

Lots of blood but carried on repairing my car.

Hurt like **** and feel for you O.P.

DickBarton

I’m in a similar boat as your wife…although I’ve had it sanded and peeled a few times…looking like it is finally mended, well, on the mend.

gingerman69

Stay diligent the the drops and maybe look for something like lacri lube at night to stop the eyelid sticking to the surface of the eye where the trauma is ,,,,, don’t be afraid to hassle your local GP or if you have private insurance go straight to your local eye consultant make sure it’s healing without any issues. If you can get it right first time will stop you have ongoing issues like some of the above have said and myself now 3 years in after 1 year olds finger nail …

Cycling maybe look for some protective eyewear from bollee they do a have sort of goggle thing that seals against eye and is less than a tenner from eBay

Cheers

thegreatape
    Free Member

Glad yours is finally mending dickbarton. Decision here is whether or not to try the acid debriding.

DickBarton

I got a protective lens to wear – stayed in for 6 weeks at a time, allowed the eye to heal without being irritated by the eyelid…made a big difference…but they only allow 3 uses…I’ve a ‘final’ check up at end of next month to see if it has finally all healed, but the eye still nips now and again so I add some drops and it tends to be fine…

Wally

If you can, go to Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.
    They are very very good with eyes. If you do go, do not try and cycle home after the dilating eye drops, trust me. They have a walk in A+E with an excellent Triage, any issues and they will see you. I cannot praise them enough. Currently I am taking a Vetinary use only gel, I do wonder why I keep neighing, but it’s working.

willard

Well, 24 hours later and my eye has stopped randomly hurting and tearing up, oddly almost immediately this morning at about 9am. It’s like something popped back into place and stayed there. Maybe a flap or rough bit of something.

Anyway, I still feel like there’s something not right and the whole right hand part of my left eye is red and sore, but it’s heaps better than yesterday. I just wish I would not keep leaking the eye drops over my sunglasses (bright lights are annoying) or ballistic eyewear (they were the first things that came to hand when I was painting).

I hope (fingers crossed) that this means I dodged a serious abrasion. Sounds like you lot have had it much worse than me.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Got a 5mm tear in my cornea a few years ago. Hurt like nothing else. I had 2 days of agony, off work, eyelid was catching on my eye when I blinked, tearing up when closed and stinging when open. Was awful. Then just like you, all of a sudden the pain cleared up and it was fine. I have to be careful how I rub my eyes or it opens back up again.

DickBarton

Apparently the eye should be ‘repaired’ in 3 days…reality is that it isn’t properly healed but there is a new ‘protective’ layer over the eye…

willard

Can it open up again?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I wore protective glasses but rubbed a tiny bit of metal into my eye off my gloves. Big mistake. Had metal removed from the eye in very late night a&we visit. I could feel it against the insid of my eyelid.
    Hey ho I thought, removed and done.
    Wrong
    Eye relaxing juice he used to check for others refused to wear off, blinding day after spent at home with the curtains drawn.
    Thursday visit to appointment at eyeball quacks for post attention check up concluded with the news,
    ‘it was steel, it rusted your eye, it is stained where it was, I’ll just remove it’
    I can discribe what happened next thus.
    Head vice plus dremel on eyeball while fully awake = I’m am never coming back here!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Corneal Abrasion’ is closed to new replies.