Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Core drills
  • verses

I need to run some waste pipes through a couple of walls (One 2 skin, one single skin) and was thinking of making the job easier by hiring a core drill bit, but I could use a few pointers.

Basically, I have a normal domestic drill (not SDS) will this have the oomph to drive a core drill bit or should I hire a drill to use with it too?

Cheers,
    Verses

spchantler
    Free Member

will this have the oomph to drive a core drill bit

no, even sds can struggle with the wider bits. you need a drill with a safety clutch, its not fun at all when you’ve got a bit stuck and the driver whips around, esp if you’re on ladders, and get your beard caught in the bit, leaving you dangling by your chin hair. seriously, these can be dangerous

wendthewelder
    Free Member

Dont use your domestic drill you will Knacker it big time , go to a tool hire company like HSS and hire one that will take SDS max , you can also hire the core bit or buy for a day . Best of luck sweetheart 😀

hammyuk
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the SDS either – just hire the actual core drill – it has a threaded connection for the core bits and will have the clutch to stop you breaking your wrist…..

HERE

russ295
    Free Member

It not the drill I would be worried about! Core drills as said have a safety clutch, even then hold on tight!
    I’ve got one (metabo) and still hate using it, especially when using a 125mm cutter.

singlespeedstu

As hammy said.

Hire a diamond cutter.
    Much easier to use and will give you a much neater hole.

SDS core bits tend to break the face off the brick/block when they come out the other side.

verses

Thanks for the pointers.

Will definitely be hiring the drill 🙂

I only need it for 40mm waste pipes so shouldn’t need anything as meaty as a 125mm cutter.

spchantler
    Free Member

what happens is when you deviate from your line even a fraction, the drill bit binds in the circular hole you’ve created and it drags on the edges and locks up, even with the clutch it hurts!!!

verses

Starting to wonder if I might be better just knocking the bricks out instead…

hammyuk
    Free Member

spchantler – Member
    what happens is when you deviate from your line even a fraction, the drill bit binds in the circular hole you’ve created and it drags on the edges and locks up, even with the clutch it hurts!!!

Which is why you hire the rig – it’s not hand held and won’t deviate…..

totalshell

smashed my drill last week whilst drilling a 38mil hole.. they do bite but rarely. i as a plumber use 105 125 and 38mm virtually everyday and they cut a loverly hole.

top tips..
    whip the pilot out as soon as the drill is established.
    DO NOT use it on hammer you ll kill the cutting edge very quickly.
    let the drill do the work dont lean on it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You do not need a rig for those holes, MTFU and get on with it! As above use the pilot guide on hammer to start then off hammer and away you go!

organic355
    Free Member

disappointed this thread isn’t about ab exercises 🙁

29erKeith
    Free Member

Voice if experience hire the tool with a clutch and don’t reach when doing the job.

broke my hand in 2 places reaching with a big clutchless drill on a different job 🙁

gears_suck
    Free Member

And this is why we have an over active HSE

verses

Job done. I hired the drill and the 52mm bit in the end.

Pretty straight-forward after all 🙂

footflaps

no, even sds can struggle with the wider bits. you need a drill with a safety clutch, its not fun at all when you’ve got a bit stuck and the driver whips around, esp if you’re on ladders, and get your beard caught in the bit, leaving you dangling by your chin hair. seriously, these can be dangerous

+1, found this out last WE, using a 60mm core drill bit and a domestic Bosch drill:

Ouch. Drill caught using holesaw and whipped out my hand at 300rpm! by brf, on Flickr

Apparently I got off lightly, broken wrists are quite common!

nealglover
    Free Member

Recommending he uses a rig for a 52mm core 🙂

Someone needs a can of this … 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Core drills’ is closed to new replies.