Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Copying videos from NAS to iPad?
  • phil5556

What’s the best way to copy video files from a NAS drive to iPad?

I’ve managed to add the drive in Files but only way seems to be to copy and paste. Clicking copy makes it hang while I assume it tries to download 1gb of video before it would then let me paste it.

Ideally I’d like something that lets me select a load of videos and then set it off downloading them.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Sandwich

Plex is probably your friend for this though you may need to spend some money with them for it to work. Plex will need to be installed on the NAS and the relevant app for the iPad.

nbt

I’m assuming the OP wants to download the vids for offline viewing, whereas Plex is a streaming service I think? Can’t help though sorry OP, I don’t have an iPad

benman
    Free Member

I use VLC media player to download films from my Raspberry Pi NAS to my iPad. It can also stream them if I’m at home.

Notter
    Free Member

Not necessarily the most efficient but OneDrive or Dropbox (or similar)?

kelron
    Free Member

There’s probably file manager apps for the iPad that will handle the transfer better than the built in one? I can’t give a specific recommendation sorry.

Otherwise yes, Plex should let you do this but might be overcomplicating things if you don’t need the full media server features.

rossburton
    Free Member

I go lo-fi and use It’s Playing as a video player on the iPad, which you can drag-and-drop files to in iTunes when connected with usb.

phil5556

There’s probably file manager apps for the iPad that will handle the transfer better than the built in one? I can’t give a specific recommendation sorry.

Yes this is what I’m looking for.

Don’t need streaming etc it’s to put films on and then watch offline.

RicB

I use Phonedrive for my iPhone, presume it’ll work on an iPad too.

I use it for transferring Sufferfest vids (approx 1Gb) and it’ll play the files on the phone

Cougar

There used to exist a “photo reader” dongle thing you could get which took SD cards. Maybe something like that would work, copy to SD then plug it into the iPad.

I’m not Apple-y so don’t know if this sort of thing still exists even, it used to be pretty much the only way of doing it like several years ago AFAIK. Just throwing it out there.

IA

Look at Goodreader. Designed for PDF but I’ve used it for years (pre-Files) to store/transfer files on ios to/from servers etc.

phil5556

I use VLC media player to download films from my Raspberry Pi NAS to my iPad. It can also stream them if I’m at home.

@benman
    thanks this has done the job I think. No way to multi select videos but I’ll only be adding a maximum of 10 at a time I guess so not the end of the world.

phil5556

And thanks for the other suggestions, I’ll have a play with some of the other ideas 👍

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Copying videos from NAS to iPad?’ is closed to new replies.