Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Cops probe Ashley Cole ‘choc ice’ tweet
  • enfht
    Free Member

Is this fair given that Rio has already completely cleared up what he meant by ending his clarification with the phrase “So there!” ?

Edric64
    Free Member

A councillor in Bristol got prosecuted for calling another a coconut

Gorehound
    Free Member

So two mates taking the mickey out of each other is a police matter these days.

geoffj

Its alright, some of his best friends are black.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I guess when they do it on a social networking site, read by millions, it must be.

Gorehound
    Free Member

I guess when they do it on a social networking site, read by millions, it must be.

Some people really need to get a sense of humour in that case.

Flaperon

He’s not a racist, but…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Some people really need to get a sense of humour in that case.

Probably millions in this case.

kimbers

didnt your lost post for this get pulled for being blatant trolling efhnt?

RustySpanner

How is it a racist comment?

It doesn’t stereotype anyone by race or colour, merely points out Coles supposed hypocricy.

hh45
    Free Member

So two mates taking the mickey out of each other is a police matter these days.

+1

allthepies
    Free Member

Ferdinand and Cole are mates are they ?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

It’s why the Police are too busy to deal with the ££££ of stolen bikes we lose (and find again on Ebay) – a couple of **** using slang take all the resource.

Its also why, in my opinion, the police service is a total and utter completely insulated and unaccountable public disgrace.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OMG it was on Twitter and I was like OMG, WTF? Then the Police were like OMG. Etc.

Another storm in a twitter tea cup.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh look, an avid reader of twitter comes on to make out he pays it no attention at all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I reckon a black person can insult another black person for not being “one of them” in much the same way a mtber can insult a mat who buys a road bike for not being “one of them”.
    ferdinand re tweeted it rather than said it though …for those who tweet does this matter?
    EDIT: For DD I have an account – i needed one to to read elfins stuff but I have been on there for one day and never tweeted. I have no opinion on it …like i could say it was sad spending all day in the interwebz spouting nonsense to strangers 😳

As for blaming the police would you rather they ignored complaints or just answered your personal ones?

In all honesty I blame the criminals for the stolen bikes and Ebay for turning a blind eye rather than under resourced plod.

allthepies
    Free Member

You don’t need a twitter account to read others tweets (inc. Freds stuff)

Edric64
    Free Member

How does this twitter thing work again ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

JY my comment was aimed at the poster directly above mine. You know the one, always quoting stuff from twitter, even stalking users from here when they tweet, waving hello etc. and then pretending he thinks it’s a load of bollocks.

I’m not sure twitter’s for you though matey…140 characters and all that… 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I knew it was not me and thank you sir that is one of the funniest things I have read on here …genuine Lolage 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Rio made a racist comment in the same way that Terry did. If there is a rule to be applied, then it should be consistent. Terry’s was more overt, but Ferdinand’s sneakier reference is just as unpleasant. Imagine a white person insulting someone using the the term chocolate. Fortunately, that died out years ago. Should the police be involved? Well that’s another question entirely!

Just shows what an unpleasant bunch these guys. Money can buy you many things but…..

Cougar

I’ve never understood why the medium is in any way relevant to the validity (or not) of its contents.

Saying it’s “only” on Twitter is like saying it’s only on TV or only in the newspapers. If people express controversial opinions or are offensive in public, is it suddenly trivial because they happen to do it on Facebook?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

thm, you’re about as much use as a chocolate teapot. 🙂

RustySpanner

Rio made a racist comment in the same way that Terry did.

Is it really a racist comment though?

I can’t find any definition of the term that suggests that it is.
    Childish, certainly, but racist?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Does re tweeting someone else comments constitute saying it?
    Serious question to the twitterati

Just shows what an unpleasant bunch these guys. Money can buy you many things but..

said like a true white upper class classist mocking the “noveau riche” who can be better of than you but not better than you…what was your point aout rules being applied universally?

PS dont ever ever venture into the world of rap you wont believe hows those racist “hoods” and “gangstas” address each other.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Does re tweeting someone else comments constitute saying it?

So, the defence is that he was just repeating something that was said to him?

Thats irony for you 😀

grum
    Free Member

Given that Ashley Cole isn’t bothered I think you’d have to be desperately looking to be offended to be outraged by this.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Given that Ashley Cole isn’t bothered

Well, given Anton Ferdinand said he was not bothered and it shouldn’t have been a police issue when Terry got prosecuted…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Did you just ask that question too then Zulu?

So, the defence is that he was just repeating something that was said to him?

did i just say that ? I have no opinion/dont know the rules and I wondered what intelligent and informed folk thought…. clearly you are out on both counts 😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Well, Given old Enoch was largely repeating what someone had said to him when he gave his rivers of blood speech, I don’t think that its the best defence against accusations of racism, is it Junky 😉

grum
    Free Member

Well, given Anton Ferdinand said he was not bothered and it shouldn’t have been a police issue when Terry got prosecuted…

Really? Link?

Do you see no difference between ‘choc ice’ and ******* black **** btw?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just under 10% of the posts on the thread and no point made yet Zulu. Comedy gold. As ever.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I heard he likes a good probing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    said like a true white upper class classist mocking the “noveau riche” who can be better of than you but not better than you…what was your point aout rules being applied universally?

Actually, you are merely demonstrating your own prejudice here JY and an amazing ability to jump to conclusions.

I am not mocking a group of people (in your words the nouveau riche), I am making relatively objective comments about a small group of premiership footballers. That is pretty specific, don’t you think? So I am applying rules universally – I think RF and JT demonstrate pretty objectionable standards of behaviour including using racist language. And for consistency, I also think all those concerned are frankly big enough to ignore the stupid comments for what they are worth – nothing. Funny that Anton Ferdinand did just that initially! Will getting the police involved in these cases, stamp out racism. Sadly, I doubt it.

BTW, just because our resident IB appears to be on yet another “sabbatical”, you don’t have to take over his mantle! Why make personalised insults? And what is the relevant of race in the personalised attack (ironical that given the original case?).

The term choc ice has a well known meaning and it differentiates in one manner and one manner only – race. To claim that this is not racist (presumably because a black/mixed race person made the comment) is simply mistaken or one could say naive (but that is slightly rude 😉 )

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Really? Link?

Asked why he was “reluctant” to involve police, Ferdinand said he had wanted it to be “dealt with by the FA” as it happened on the pitch.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/09/john-terry-case-racist-language

Do you see no difference between ‘choc ice’ and ******* black **** btw?

Oh, now we have different ‘grades’ of racial abuse now do we?

I’m waiting to hear the Diane Abbot defence 🙄

grum
    Free Member

To claim that this is not racist (presumably because a black/mixed race person made the comment)

A black/mixed racist person can obviously be racist, but to another black/mixed race person? Who’s also his mate and didn’t find it offensive? Again, it seems some people are desperate to be offended.

RustySpanner

Will someone please explain why the ‘choc ice’ comment is racist?
    Please?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Actually Z11 and JY, Enoch Powell’s rivers of blood is probably one of the most misquoted pieces of modern history (along with much of JM Keynes). It is a reference purely to his classical education at what was one of UK’s best schools (KES B’ham) and when taken in its correct context of Roman history is actually a slur on white working class people. Of course, that did not stop others continuing to mis-quote it for their own political purposed, conveniently ignoring Powell’s strong defence of, for example, Mau Mau prisoners who others around him considered sub-human. Those who chose to listen and read what Powell said (such as Dennis Healey interestingly) often came to very different conclusions. Funny that!

grum
    Free Member

Will someone please explain why the ‘choc ice’ comment is racist?
    Please?

It’s meant to mean a black person who’s white inside (though not according to Rio Ferdinand, somewhat unconvincingly imo) – this implies there are certain types of behaviour or generalisations you can make about what is ‘white behaviour’ or ‘black behaviour’.

I don’t see how it’s racist in it’s proper meaning of claiming the inferiority of a particular race though. Compared to the John Terry incident – he used the term black as part of a pretty nasty insult. There seems to be no implication in the term choc ice that one race is superior to another AFAIK.

RustySpanner

Cheers grum, I thought it was just me that was going mad.

I was aware of the meaning of the phrase, but for the life of me cannot see any way that it could be construed as racist.

It implies no intrinsic difference between races and doesn’t stereotype.
    It doesn’t denigrate one race at the expense of another or attribute certain characteristics to an entire racial group.

At worst, it seems to be just slightly childish wordplay.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Cops probe Ashley Cole ‘choc ice’ tweet’ is closed to new replies.