Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Coping with long working hours…
  • jam-bo

Crazy people. 30hrs a week here over 4 days and that feels like a grind sometimes. . Earn enough to pay the bills and buy a few toys.

I could probably earn double or triple what I do but what’s the point if I never see my family and friends.

footflaps

Seems insane to me, but then it’s not my life….

project
    Free Member

Hi there, anyone got any tips on doing constant 10-12 hour working days?

Complete with the feeling that you could be working 15hrs & still not keeping up with work load?

When you get home look in the morror for the sign painted on your head saying

MUG

Because your company is failing,

you have poor management or clebver managemet who are abusing you to earn more profit,

You are doing someone out of a job, someone possibly unemployed who could be paying taxes on their fuel,wages or stuff they buy.

or perhaps its a non physical job, where you sit in an office and chat all day, where the hours fly by

BigJohn

Useful Phrase:

A lack of planning by you does not constitute an emergency on my part.

PrinceJohn

A quick bump – due to my workload finally the inevitable happened & a job didn’t go out on time – the following morning my boss had a go at me about this & told me that this week a verbal warning would be issued he had to speak to his HR person who was currently away…

So he’s not told me exactly when this will occur, however I beleive that it’s my right to have an independant person sit in on such a meeting, however the person I want to sit in if on holiday this week – can it be postponed to accomodate this & is it ok for me to ask when exactly the meeting will take place?!

Sandwich

You are entitled to have who you want. The company needs to wait until all parties are available to attend. (My sister attended my redundancy process as my adviser).
    <TJ> Give some serious thought to joining a union now, their legal advisors tend to be top notch.</ TJ>

Garry_Lager

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EPrSVkTRb24[/video]

Srsly, you’re flat out working your ballokes off so mistakes will be made. Time for some bi-directional feedback to your boss. You can try and bring representation to the HR meeting about the verbal warning but isn’t the issue bigger than that?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never been in this situation, so I don’t understand it. But surely – “John, can you do this?” “No, there’s no time”.

Can you not just refuse?

FuzzyWuzzy

Does depend on what your job is and the specifics of the situation (you mentioned covering maternity leave previously, surely either that’s over or she’s not coming back and the company need to get someone else in).
    I would work stupid hours for a short time (couple of months at most) if I was well-rewarded for it (either with pay, a good promotion or gaining valuable experience to use in another job). Working those hours just to keep my job then screw that, 40 hours is more than enough time to be wasting on working let alone 60+

gonefishin
    Free Member

So a job doesn’t get done on time and the first think your boss does is go for a verbal warning? Your boss doesn’t seem to be much cop as a manager. Quite frankly I’d be looking for a move if I were you.

Being forced to work those hours on a regular basis is simply not acceptable (anyone working in the financial industry can willy wave as much as they want). Don’t get me wrong I’ve done it on occasion but it is always exactly that, occasionally. Make sure that when the conversation with HR goes ahead you have these details to hand.

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m self employed and work 12-15 most days, not a lot of choice really as I’m up against companies with 5 times the resource. Prioritisation etc.. is all good advice, but sometimes you just have to do the work.

To answer your question, which was “how do you cope”, I have a simple mechanism.

Nobody is forcing me to do this, it’s my choice. There is no death penalty for walking out of a job or having debts and there is a welfare state. I know that I CAN always walk if I really really have to. But I don’t. Stress often comes from thinking that you don’t have choices when actually … you do. Knowing that I have a choice (but not necessarily taking it) helps me a bit.

dyls

Surely your manager is aware of your extra workload / has noticed you working long hours – but still runs to HR!! Either a poor manager, or a clever one using you to do someone elses job as well as your own so saving on employing and paying someone additional.

To me covering for someone means if someone is off sick short term, attending meetings if your boss can’t etc, but not doing someone elses job while they are off on maternity in addition to your own. Refuse to do it.

scousebri
    Free Member

I work 10-12+ hours every day apart from sunday and even then i’m up and out with the kids. Add a commute on top of my work hours and i could be out for 15-16hours aday. It’s been that way for 20 years and will probably continue untill i retire or keel over.I work in a physical job not behind a desk so i do proper work 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Coping with long working hours…’ is closed to new replies.