Cookware / pots / pans track world recommendation

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cookware / pots / pans track world recommendation
  • sillysilly

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for good cookware sets or deals.

Want to start cooking more seriously in run up to xmas and next year to be more healthy and stop eating out. Looking to cook everything – meat, fish, veg.

Not sure about copper, tri aluminium, steel, ceramic or that new stone looking coating. Should I just save my money and buy a Tefal set on amazon?

Let’s here it 🙂

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

As chief washer upper DO NOT BUY le crueset.

andrewh

What sort of hob is it? Induction will limit the choice quite a bit.
    Anyway, Aga’s own brand are very good (but a bit pricey) Got some Stellar saucepans which I’ve been really impressed with, and a ceramic-coated wok, I forget which make, never had one of those before but is also excellent.
    If you’ve got gas a really big, heavy cast-iron frying pan is great, and wipe it clean with a dry cloth, don’t wash it.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

For “normal” pans – saucepans, casseroles, etc. I would forget any coatings. Just go for good quality stainless steel with heavily riveted handles and a good solid base. No need to buy matching sets, get the ones which suit your needs. I have a selection of “Jamie Oliver by Tefal” (no sniggering at the back, they are very good), Anolon (which are very similar) and a couple of Le Creuset ovenware jobbies (good for the forearms zippykona).

Add a well seasoned steel omelette pan and, my one concession to non-stick, a frying pan. Coatings wear out but my latest, a John Lewis Titanium Ceramic thing, seems quite tough.

I also have a cheap steel wok from a Chinese supermarket and a couple of steamers.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Big old cast iron skillet for a gas hob +1.

Green Pans are good but a bit spendy and I’m not sure on their longevity.

Personally I’ve gone back to heavy based stainless steel pans (IKEA at the moment as a good balance of weight and cost) rather than any type of non-stick. Much easier to abuse but still look after compared to an expensive coating. I do have a brilliant big old copper bottomed stainless saute pan that I’ve had for a while and it’s my favourite all-purpose cooking vessel – can’t remember where I got it from though.

bigginge

For a general set go for something with a stainless inner and try and avoid any sort of non-stick (particularly the ceramic/stone ones; there is a reason you don’t see them everywhere). They will last much much longer than anything with non-stick lining and for most cooking it really doesn’t matter, even if washing up is slightly less fun. The only things that I find a non-stick pan useful for are pancakes and scrambled eggs (the eggs are just a washing up thing though).

A good cast iron frying pan is worth getting, even if you do need to pay a bit more attention looking after it to preserve the seasoning. Lodge do some good ones that aren’t too expensive.

I do have a couple of big lecrueset pans which are brilliant for stews and curry but they are heavy in use, especially when full.

tonyplym

Have been pleasantly surprised by the robustness and easy cleaning of some Prestige Stone Quartz frying pans and ovenware purchased a few years ago – good heat distribution on an induction hob, and ovenware cooks very evenly. However, for saucepans my first choice (if you can find them) would be Demeyer 18/10 stainless Triplinduc – made in Belgium and after about a decade of very regular use are literally as good as new.

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

You’ve opened a can of worms there OP…..

Posh pots and pans and kitchen knives are a must on here 🙂

tinybits

Surely Steels Pots and Pans Oxy Brillo Range is the best thing out there?

For reviews, please listen to the Belinda Blinked Podcast

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

granny_ring
    You’ve opened a can of worms there OP…..
    Posh pots and pans and kitchen knives are a must on here 🙂

Not so sure. I think this is one area where most of STW agrees that functional trumps spendy every time.

So, stainless pans and Robert Welch knives every time, although I do like my big Porsche santoku almost as much as my cheapo cleaver from the local chinese supermarket.

sillysilly

Haha,

It’s an electric job, not induction. Can’t change as renting – would personally love gas but hey.

I’m happy to spend a bit if it’s actually worth it. Stainless sounds good. I noticed picking up the non stick LeCre…. pan that it didn’t look much better than what I’d find at TKMaxx and the coating was scratched in the shop. Sure the proper cast ones are better.

Anyone tried the vogue tri-ply pans from nisbetts?

See lots of deals on Circulon and Steller but all seem coated.

stumpy01

We’ve got a set of Circulon pans. They are good and were brilliant when new, but my Wife has a habit of leaving the heat up too high on pans and letting things burn to the pan. She has also let vegetables boil dry in them several times.

This isn’t supposed to sound like a wife in the kitchen moan, just that I am much more careful when cooking over how high the gas is and regularly stirring things, while she goes for the max gas and leave it alone technique.

I would say for us (her) stainless pans would be better without a coating as after 8yrs or so they are looking pretty tired.
    But, if you think you will care for them better, then they should last really well.

We have never put them in the dishwasher.

sharkbait

It’s an electric job, not induction. Can’t change as renting – would personally love gas but hey

Just for clarity, induction blasts gas hobs out of the water on absolutely every front in my experience, obvs others’ MMV.

As many have said, simple sturdy SS pans without any non stick other than for the frying pan where I’m starting to think that multiple cheap non-stick pans may be better than a single expensive pan.

A good pan doesn’t make a good chef.

Premier Icon batfink
    Subscriber

As others have said – maybe get a small non-stick pan for omelettes etc, but otherwise go for stainless steel for longevity.

One thing to look for is that some of the cheaper SS pans have alu fittings which corrode if you put them in the dishwasher – look for ones that have all SS rivets etc.

We have the le Crueset stainless set (it was reduced) which we are very happy with – gets used and put through the dishwasher every day and it looks as good as new.

andrewh

There are normal stainless Stellar ones out there, that’s what mine are. Maybe not on any deals though. Top end of two figures for a set of three so a decent amount but not too silly and almost aas good as the parent’s Aga oes at several times the price (y whch I mean the Aga ones just feel nicer and are older, and sohave therefore proved longevity better so far, they seem to cook the same)

B.A.Nana

The best ever pan set I bought was cheap from TKMax incl big sautiere and big deep stew pot. passed them on to my sister when I went induction hob, but still miss them. Now have Le Creuset TNS but figured if i didn’t like them, being le creuset I could sell them on for similar value if not for me, rather than braggin pans. OK expensive pans but not as good as my old cheap TKMax pan set.

mrb123

We’ve had a Meyer pan set for the last few years which has been great. Not too expensive either.

Premier Icon mrwhyte
    Subscriber

For Le Cr’style cast iron pans, Sainsbury’s own brand a really quite good. We’ve had our casserole pan now for years. If you can get them with 20% off which they do every now and then, they are a bargain.

Roasting dishes, I’d just go for the old school enamel ones,easy to clean and last ages.

Le Creuset here, for non stick and oven stuff. All from the UK warehouse sale of much cheapness.

Have one big soup pan from Ikea that’s surprisingly good value, so far.

Otherwise, picked up a bargainous set of John Lewis own brand metal jobs in a sale, and they’re doing very well.

So, in short, buy something reduced!

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

Ikea 365 stuff for general boiling and simmering (I’ve had mine since 1992 and they get well used and abused).

Tefal non stick for frying.

I bought a fancy wmf non stick pan fairly recently. It’s total junk. It’s easier to clean the insides of an eagle cassette.

mogrim

Personally I’ve gone back to heavy based stainless steel pans (IKEA at the moment as a good balance of weight and cost) rather than any type of non-stick. Much easier to abuse but still look after compared to an expensive coating.

This +1. Although I’d also get a non stck frying pan for doing eggs etc., just expect to have to change it every couple of years or so and obviously avoid using any kind of metal implement near it.

Cast iron is nice to use and makes you feel like a proper old-school chef but I’m not convinced it’s any better than stainless steel. IKEA again has a decent range of cast iron stuff.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Cast iron holds heat better. Though depending on what your doing that can be a disadvantage as well.

We’ve got mostly le cruesuet cast iron as I like them. Recently switched to their cast frying pan as fed up with non stick wearing out. Seems to work better now it’s seasoned. Don’t find them a pain to wash, even if youve managed to burn stuff on it’s not normally that hard to get off.

whitestone

We’ve a mixture of makes. We’ve about half a dozen Le Crueset pans and saucepans that we’ve had for other twenty years and they are still in good shape, that’s despite several “over bakings”

The most recent item is an Eaziglide(spelling) frying pan which seems to be able to resist my wife’s omelettes!

The main limiter would be the type of hob you have at home, not every pan plays with induction hobs and wooden handled pans aren’t suitable for ovens for example.

BillMC

I find a clay potato cooker very useful, on top or in the oven. Nothing added and fantastic flavour from your spuds.

IHN

Ikea or John Lewis own-brand recommended here.

My mum’s still using the stainless steel Ikea pans that I bought in starter set 20 years ago. I’m still using the non-stick frying pan that came in that set.

Our other pans are stainless steel John Lewis ones that I got as a wedding present 16 years ago (previous marriage 🙂 ). They just work.

johndoh

We’ve had a Meyer pan set for the last few years which has been great.

I was about to write the same, however ours are much older than that (about 15 years old now I think) and still going strong. The pans (stainless steel) go in the dishwasher every time although I *ALWAYS* hand wash the glass lids so they don’t go cloudy. I almost exclusively cook from scratch and they get absolutely hammered but they are great – no loose handles or obvious signs of wear.

But whatever you go for, look for something with a good heavy base to spread the heat evenly which helps avoid burning whatever is in the pan.

petec

we’ve had stellar 7000 for a few years. Stainless, with no non stick

Great stuff really – you can abuse it really quite badly, and then get a metal scourer and it all comes off

available everywhere, but the full range appears to be here https://www.hartsofstur.com/brands/stellar/stellar-cookware/stellar-7000-cookware.html

always on offer somewhere…

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

I do all the cooking in our house, and as other have said decent quality stainless steel heavy based saucepans are really good and durable. Doesn’t need to be super expensive either, just not the light weight tin pot type stuff.

I spent near £100 on a non stick saute pan and frying pan 2 years ago that were meant to be ultra durable. Bollocks they are. Very nice heavy pans but the coating doesn’t last with regular use. I wish I’d spent the money on a Crusset type thing that would see me out.

In contrast, my wife pretty much set fire to one of my 10 year old SS saucepans and left a 1cm thick layer of solid bonded on carbon in the bottom. A quick blast with a wire brush in a drill, quick polish and it was as good as new again.

johndoh

I spent near £100 on a non stick saute pan and frying pan 2 years ago that were meant to be ultra durable

I went on a cookery course and the chef said that she basically expects any non-stick stuff to wear out over time and simply has a routine of best pan, good pan, abuse pan and as they wear out she simply bins the oldest one and moves the others down the chain.

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

Yeah that’s probably true. I suspect that the 2nd cheapest tefal offering is probably the sweet spot of non stick frying pans. These £50 ones certainly weren’t significantly more durable.

Rivetted handle pans are hand wash only, because dishwashers will dissolve the aluminium rivets over time, as will any kind of aluminium sandwich construction.

Robert Welch Campden range has spot welded stainless steel handles and a copper sandwich base that is dishwasher safe. My parents pans are good as new after 25 years of daily use, I invested in a set for myself 5 years ago and have not been disappointed.

chewkw

All my cookwares are NOT coated in anyway or form and no aluminium.

I have the followings:
    Stellar stainless steel (can use induction) as they are all good.
    Cast iron – mine are cheapo Chinese made less than £10 each and I sandpaper them too. 😅
    Carbon steel wok.

sharkbait

Whatever you get I’d suggest that it’s induction compatible as you really don’t want to have to buy another set a few years down the line.

dantsw13

I got the professional range from ProCook on one of the frequent offers. Pretty good for 3 yrs so far.

Premier Icon neila
    Subscriber

Stellar, stainless steel, no coating. We bought our set when we moved into our first house, 20+ years later they’re still good, nothing loose or burnt.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.