Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cooking with just a kettle?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Will be staying temporarily in a hospital hostel while having radiotherapy treatment in London. I’ll be there Monday to Friday for 3 weeks.

There are no cooking facilities in there, and I’m not allowed to use a microwave because another patient tried it and just about started a fire (not sure how, but so they say). So I’m limited to cooking with just the kettle that’s in there, or going out to eat.

It’s really important for me to eat through my treatment to keep my energy levels up and immune system functioning, and the challenge of cooking with just a kettle is interesting.

My tastebuds are virtually screwed from the RT, my mouth only opens the width of my thumb nuckle, and I can’t chew very well. So I need to eat soft foods like mash, gravy, scrambled eggs. Stuff that I can swallow easily.

Anyone got any thoughts on what I can achieve?

druidh
    Free Member

How much do you like Pot Noodle?

sc-xc

Boiled eggs and hot dog sausages!

BoardinBob

Will be staying temporarily in a hospital hostel while having radiotherapy treatment in London. I’ll be there Monday to Friday for 3 weeks.

There are no cooking facilities in there, and I’m not allowed to use a microwave because another patient tried it and just about started a fire (not sure how, but so they say). So I’m limited to cooking with just the kettle that’s in there, or going out to eat.

😯

God bless the NHS

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/chorizo-tomato-instant-noodles-in-a-pot/

or at school I used to put a small tin of baked beans in the kettle with an inch of water and keep my finger on the switch until they were warm enough 😉

AlasdairMc

Take a look at wild camping and bushcraft websites for inspiration. I’m tempted to try this next time I’m away, but there are loads of similar things out there.

You’ve also got all the loveliness that is houmous (can’t stand it) or Smash (even worse), or if you’ve got a toaster then you could get one of those toaster bag things for baked beans, or other nicer things.

I take it a camping stove by the door won’t go down too well?

Hope the treatment goes well for you.

EDIT: Fooking ‘ell, two posts with the same recipe in close succession!!

bruneep
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You might be able to try some steaming, with a sieve and lid

AlasdairMc

Hotcan looks lovely. 😀

I was in Cotswold a couple of days ago, and they’ve got self-heating meals as well. They didn’t seem to be bean based, so might be relatively tasty…

project
    Free Member

There will be a staff canteen on site, and shops near by

As for the microwvave starting a fire, when i worked in a hospital one of the nurses put her knickers in the microwave 30 minutes instead of 30 seconds, the thing caught fire, and plastic lined microwaves where then banned.

Best of luck wuith the treatment.

fubar
    Free Member

Cold soup then ! You can get flavoured Cous Cous which you just pour hot water on. Erm…mushy peas (cold), Smash…

or camping stove in the car park.

[more..]
    Oats are good too. I just pour boiling water onto oats in a bowl and add a splash of milk (then raisins etc)

Why would you put your knickers in a microwave?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trickey.

instant oats can be done.

You can get better instant noodles than pot noodles.

You can get instant hot custard type puddings

With a thermal sleeve and a alloy camping pot ( think haybox) you should be able to keep boiling water hot a awhile and do packet soup / pasta and sauce / savoury rice in a packet – quick cook stuff only tho . You can get thin polystyrene / reflective sheets from b&q that go behind radiators and can be manufactured into a thin light insulated sleve. Might be able to warm a can of beans like that in a boiling water bath

I shall ponder more – an interesting challenge

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Buy a small microwave and take it with you.

Taff
    Free Member

There’s loads out there. Forget pot noodles. Go for porridge with water, there’s cup a soup and Heinz’s alternatives, custard etc.

I had a pizza delivered too

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

You shouldn’t have to, but could you order decent food in from somewhere? I don’t understand medicines, or the NHS’s, attitude towards ensuring patients prospects are maximised as far as they can be through healthy, nutritous food.

frogstomp

What about some of the freeze dried ‘mountaineering’ foods? Some of them don’t taste too bad, and they’re designed to keep you going so I’m sure they’ll have decent levels of nutrients etc in them..

GrahamA
    Free Member

How important is if to have a cooked meal? Have you considered Raw Food?

You can then add dried or preserved meats and cheese as required.

Will you have access to a fridge?

project
    Free Member

Over-active-knife-and-fork – Member

to dry them, when the heatig was switched off ,so no hot radiator to dry them on.

Try it with your lycra shorts,about 30 seconds is enough, leaves a lovely warm feeling………

aP
    Free Member

Where are you going to be? I’m sure there’s an STW’r that could drop by and help by smuggling in hot food parcels…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Why the **** are they not providing food for you, you sound very ill and if theya re doing radio therapy surely you need minimal contact with the dirty public and maximum good food?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Alas I don’t have any recipes but you wouldn’t believe the stuff (currys) the Asian prisoners cook in a titchy kettle at our place.

With a bit of ingenuity I’m sure you’ll knock up something tasty, good luck.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Toasterbags?

I’d imagine a toaster would be a no-no though.

ianv
    Free Member

Dehydrated foods for backpackers, would they work?
    Stuff like beanfeast?
    Instant mash, cold meat and instant gravy (loads of variations on this theme)

Something like this might be a good investment, sure there are cheaper ones.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Multi-40mm-deep-Power/dp/B001XMX9VG

maccruiskeen

couscous with anything you’d like in pasta stirred into it, or anything that would make a good salad stirred into it. Something like this is a good starter – lots of flavour and nothing you need to cook. Stuff like chorizo, salami (and even if you’re stuck for shops pepperami) chopped up and stirred in helps liven up cookerless cuisine, especially if your tastebuds aren’t as lively as you’d want them to be

hilldodger
    Free Member

the “lookwhatwefound” meals in a pouch can be “cooked” by standing in boiled water for 10 minutes or so, wouldn’t want to live of them for 3 weeks but worth looking at as part of your diet
    http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/Page/Index.aspx

failing that just find a takeaway place that will deliver ?

wallop

Cous cous is a good shout, and it’s very versatile:

make a greek salad by adding feta cheese, cucumber, tomato, some red onion, splash of olive oil. Lasts well in a tupperware container too.

add a tin of tuna, some kidney beans and some lemon/vinegar/oil for a nice bit of protein

Whilst you will probably be craving comfort food, try and remember that food doesn’t necessarily have to be hot to be nourishing. Salads can provide a lot of variety (but granted I can understand they might not be high on your list!).

konabunny
    Free Member

Toastie maker – you can make toasties and fried eggs and…toasties?

If you have a decent supermarket near you, you’ll be able to buy pre-prepared salads and possibly even hot meal elements at a reasonable price.

Good luck with it, by the way.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Boil in the bag? Or sous-vide as the lovvie chefs call it. If you get a vacuum sealer you can bag up loads of individual meals and pop them in the kettle, just keep pressing it on every 30 secs or so and should re-heat in a few mins.

Oh and +1 for as much raw stuff as poss.

hugor
    Free Member

http://www.kettlecookery.com/

You just need a net bag.
    Good luck with the radiotherapy.

iDave
    Free Member

Would it help if you had some energy gels and energy/protein bars for standby use? If so, I’ll get some Zipvit Sport ones sent to you FOC. Send me your mailing address. And obviously good luck.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good luck with the RT.

scaredypants

how about a slow cooker ?

Over-active-knife-and-fork – Member

hot-pants, innit

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cooking with just a kettle?’ is closed to new replies.