Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cooking pan track world
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

Anyone got a good suggestion for a set of cooking pans? Just moved into a new house with an induction hob. Thought our pans would be fine as they are stainless steel but they have an indent in the bottom so don’t work.
    I don’t know what a reasonable budget is for these but would like decent quality as I have no plans to buy any more.
    Set of 3 or 4 more would be fine in a range of sizes. Also need a wok as again ours didn’t work!
    Thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member
    speed12
    Free Member

Lots of opinions in the above thread but long story short is go to nisbets.co.uk and get a set of Vogue tri-wall pans and job done.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Thought our pans would be fine as they are stainless steel but they have an indent in the bottom so don’t work

What’s the indent got to do with it? All that matter is what the pan is made of – i.e. it just needs to be magnetic.
    We have some steels pans but the bottom is copper so they don’t work on the induction hob.
    Your pans may be steel but with a non-magnetic base.

We’ve got some procook pans also and they’re pretty good.

Be aware that just because a pan says it works with induction hobs then that doesn’t mean that it’s perfect for it.
    I picked up an anodised aluminium alloy pan from Ikea that is induction compatible, but it takes longer to heat up compared to other pans we’ve got. I assume this is because the amount of magnetic material in the base is fairly minimal so doesn’t produce a lot of heat.

A couple of cast iron skillets I’ve got are, naturally, brilliant!

grum
    Free Member

Same range as highpeakrider from ProCook and they work great on induction. V happy.

cultsdave
    Free Member

What’s the indent got to do with it? All that matter is what the pan is made of – i.e. it just needs to be magnetic.

The base needs to be flat and have contact with the hob. Ours are like a doughnut so the middle doesn’t contact. They are fully stainless and having googled this others have had same issues with similar shaped pots.

Pieface

Another vote for the ProCook Stainless steel range. I’ve tried many different non-stick options that are suitable for both Induction and dishwasher (all with lifetime warranty, including ProCook and Circulon) but either the non-stick flakes off, or the alloy starts to fragment / de-laminate. You do need a little bit more care to not get your food to stick, but its minimal faff and you can use any utensils you like. I think they also respond better to the induction hob.

BigJohn

You need 2 sets: an expensive set that make you feel you’ve done the right thing and the cheapest set of non-stick that work on induction which will be the ones you use until you throw them away and get another cheapy.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve found my non stick frying pans from pro cook (the rest are just stainless) have held up well, they have got a little scratched but no sign of flaking at all. I wonder if non stick tech has moved on as I’ve always seen non stick pans as disposable.

sharkbait
    Free Member

The base needs to be flat and have contact with the hob. Ours are like a doughnut so the middle doesn’t contact. They are fully stainless and having googled this others have had same issues with similar shaped pots.

Interesting – maybe this is to do with the sensor that detects whether the pan is there?
    On our Neff hob I can put a plate between the pan and the hob (to warm up) and it still works.

Twodogs

Just cos it’s stainless steel doesn’t mean it’ll work on an induction hob…it has to be magnetic and not all stainless steel is…depends how much nickel is in it. If a magnet doesn’t stick to it, the indent in the base is irrelevant

maccruiskeen

I’ve been using NEA cast aluminium pans with an induction friendly base – nice and light, but still  robust and the non stick has lasted really well. Really surprisingly good for the price.

prettygreenparrot

IKEA 365 bought some years ago. Would probably buy them again. But the lids lack a decent vent and the lid handle welds are a bit weak: had 2 out of 6 lids fall apart. Actually, maybe I’d get something more robust.

cast iron frying pan works well. As does flat-bottomed steel wok.

maccruiskeen

IKEA 365 bought some years ago. Would probably buy them again. But the lids lack a decent vent and the lid handle welds are a bit weak: had 2 out of 6 lids fall apart. Actually, maybe I’d get something more robust.

Buy something better so theres a lower probability of having to  to buy them again 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Vogue tri-wall pans and job done.

If you like your kitchen to look like a commercial unit when your cooking fair enough but the lids on them were enough to put me off.

Shame.cause actual pans look good. But the lids look like extras from Gordon Ramsey’s swear fest’s.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cooking pan track world’ is closed to new replies.