Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Cooking classes at school. Have they missed the point or is it me.?
  • Cougar

Thanks to the cookery lessons I had at school, I now know that the best way to boil water is with a kettle rather than, say, in a pan in the oven, and can make chocolate rice krispies.

Spag bol with a jar of sauce? My gods, that’s progress. I was in University when I first did that.

ratherbeintobago

The Silver Spoon is the Italian Cookery bible

You mean it’s not the Valvona & Crolla book? 😮

joemarshall
    Free Member

To be fair to them, for a tomato based pasta sauce, I’d bung the tomatoes on with some olive oil for 45 minutes or so to cook down, longer if I was making a large quantity. Which would be a fair chunk of a lesson, even if you can get on with some of the rest at the same time. It kind of depends how much time they have.

And there’s the obvious option of cooking it at home with them and putting it in a jar for anyone who is outraged about bought pasta sauce.

Actually, I bought a jar of pasta sauce the other day for camping, just your basic tomato sauce, dolmio or something similar, and it was surprisingly okay, didn’t have any of that icky preservative that they used to put in that makes it taste metallic and industrial (and makes my wife wheeze, so I always check), and just tasted like a not particularly great but not terrible tomato sauce, was fine for cooking up with some onions and garlic. Nothing like as bad as when I was a student, when it certainly was nowhere near as nice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thomthumb
    Free Member

first day of uni and i girl i lived with cooked pasta – with no water.

She could have done with this class!

Nick

I know it’s fun to just guess what Food Tech/Home Ec is all about, but you know, there’s this thing called the Internet, and this new fangled thing call “Google”.

http://www.foodforum.org.uk/curriculum/Secondary-Pri+Nat+-KS3+KS4.shtml

jamiea
    Free Member

On the surface it’s seems like a cop out from the teacher, but on reflection if half the kids end up being able to cook a half decent meal themselves, all be it with a jar of sauce, it’s better than them thinking every meal has to come in microwave tray or take-a-way.

Growing up I thought the only way to make a casserole was to bung a packet of Schwartz powder into a pot of meat, veg and water- as well as other travesties. My favorite meal was ham salad…

Going to Uni and having to cook for myself was a revelation!

Obviously the OP cares about the little one’s culinary education and will take the time to teach him/her to do it properly. It’s never to early; I was baking a chocolate cake for the wife’s return from a hen do last weekend with our 1 year old in her highchair in the kitchen and talking her through it 😳 😆

Cheers,
    Jamie

jamiea
    Free Member

I bought a jar of pasta sauce the other day for camping

We tend to use Loyd Grossman curry sauces when camping, anything heavily tomato based tastes ‘chemically’ to us.

Cheers,
    Jamie

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Cooking classes at school. Have they missed the point or is it me.?’ is closed to new replies.