Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • convince my friend: 29er 120mm forks
  • damascus
    Free Member

My friend is building a tall boy 29er. He wants it to be as light as possible (within budget) and has bought hope hoops on stans crest, full xt etc. He is a roady who will mtb but he is more interested in uphill Koms than downhill speed.

He is now stuck on the forks. He wants a black fork, 120 travel, bolt through etc for around £350 ish or less.

I’ve sent him links to rs Sid xx 120 from on one £340 at Christmas in the sales, manitou tower pro from crc at £200 in the sales but he has rejected them all as he wants fox with kashima as they look cool. (He is a bit of a bike tart) Ive told him that other forks are lighter but theres no budging him so the build is on hold til he finds one. (I run rs revs and they are awesone)

The reviews I’ve read on here suggest that the fox 32s can be flexi.

I can’t understand why he would want a 2nd hand fork when he could get a new one for the same money or less. Rs, manitou, x fusion etc.

Do you think he is right and should get the fox shocks or consider something else and finish the build so he can go out and ride it?

Opinions welcomed.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Why just let him buy what he wants to?

JCL
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

The reviews I’ve read on here suggest that the fox 32s can be flexi

The 150mm 32’s are flexi the 120mm 29r version doesn’t feel as much. But this is only a quick car park test as it’s my missus bike (Tallboy alu)

Northwind

Yeah, I’m not a fan of long 32s but the 29er ones I’ve used felt alright. Not stiff stiff but not wibbly wobbly either

damascus
    Free Member

[Why just let him buy what he wants to?]

He can do what he wants but he can’t find any. He’s bid on a few but lost out. The Christmas build is now on hold til he finds some.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Fox = trouble.

My mate had to get new uppers under warranty, seems quite a few others have too.

Im running RS Revs lowered to 120mm on my 29er.

They are a lot plusher than any Fox forks I have run in the past.

Paceman
    Free Member

Fox have been on the slide for the last couple of years since they introduced CTD technology. I’d go with Rockshox every time – better value and performance, as well as having more durable seals and uppers in my experience. Reba’s, SID’s or even the lighter Revelations would be perfect on the Tallboy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘convince my friend: 29er 120mm forks’ is closed to new replies.