Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Converting to Flats – what shoes?
  • scotabroad

After twenty years being clipless SPDd – I have been converted to flats for the steeper noodly rooty trails. Still prefer SPDs for anything else mind.

What shoes are best – have been told for my wide feet Five Tens are a good option – I mainly ride in winter so the trainer sytle concerns me a bit – would need water proof socks I guess with this style.

Are there any more robust styles out there folk would recommend.

Help appreciated.

ps – also any comfortable shin/ knee protection – very light please

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

if they fit, the five ten trailcross GTX circa £110 on adidas
    [when using a 30% code of vouchercodes] may be a good option.

five ten also make the eps & impact which could be suitable, but far too heavy and clumpy for me, as i prefer a lighter shoe.

the pedals matter too for a good grip, i personally recommend DMR Vault, pricey but you wont lose grip often, especially if you remember to dig your ankles deep when descending.

nickc

I mainly ride in winter so the trainer sytle concerns me a bit

Why do all flat pedal shoes either 1. have the same winter protection that a moist paper bag offers, 2. look like terrible copies of really badly designed skate shoes?

scotabroad

Thanks – sorted for pedals btw – have hopes already

b230ftw
    Free Member

Shoes or pedals aren’t as important as how you use them. You need to get your arch over the pedal so you might need to drop your seat a bit. Make sure brake levers are rotated more horizontally so when you stand up your weight is slightly further back, in that way your feet are at an angle and push into the pedals when the terrain is rough rather than being bounced off when they are level.

Don’t think that you need to have crazy amounts of grip between the pedals and the shoes. Being able to move your feet around is one of the advantages to flats – too much grip and you can struggle if the position is correct. I used to ride park and street BMX with nothing but skate shoes and cheap V8 copies and never had an issue. Did the same with MTB when I got back into it and still not had an issue.

Learn how to bunny hop properly obviously.

desperatebicycle

ION shoes are good for wide fitting. I’ve also got some Leatt 1.0 ones (bought purely because I liked the terrible badly skate shoes styling 😛 ), which are really comfortable, but the soles are a bit on the thin side and winter would probably destroy them 😀

slowoldman

I still have the old Shimano AM42 (“Stormtrooper”) which are good for winter and roomy in the toes. The current similar model is, I think, the GR9 (or GR901).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In terms of shoes and how they fare in shit weather, don’t consider them in isolation. I wear trousers in winter, which stops the leg flume down into your socks, next I’m for experimenting with my wee montane trail gaiters, they’re brilliant when on foot, no reason to think they wont work well, with the trousers too.

I wear 5 ten impact vxi, and also Colombia fairbanks too, which are excellent so far.

Also finally gave in and fitted those ugly bastard mudhuggers. 😬

dc1988

Shin protection probably isn’t worth it, with decent pedals and 5.10’s you won’t be slipping. I have numerous scars on my shin from when I was much younger and pedals would eat your shins but I’ve not hit my shins once with modern shoes

malv173
    Free Member

FiveTen Freerider Pros are very good.

I’ve recently bought some Northwave Clans. The grip is very good, they are decent for wide (ish) feet. But the sole is quite stiff.

You get better feel for where your feet are on the pedals with the FiveTens, and the Clans took a bit of getting used to, but they do their job really well.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have the GR9’s, not quite as weatherproof as the old AM41’s but nice and grippy and light so dry quickly.

mrmoofo

I was a die hard 5:10 person until they became a bit rubbish. I now have Ride Concepts shoes.
    Not too sure which but they are working very well

feed

if they fit, the five ten trailcross GTX circa £110 on adidas
    [when using a 30% code of vouchercodes] may be a good option.

Second this, got a pair recently, only about 5 spins on them but they’ve been faultless so far. Also the Vaude moab mid which were probably the only winter flat shoe worth considering (prior to the trailcross GTX).
    the “https://www.vaude.com/en-INT/Men/Shoes/Bike-Shoes/32947/Moab-All-Mountain-Bike-Shoes-Mid”. Have a pair about 3 winter old and they still look box fresh when cleaned up. Sometimes deals around on the Moabs for as little as £140.

The Moabs are a lot warmer than the trailcross, the trailcross are a lot easier to get on 🙂

kimbers

I’ve recently gone back to flats and been riding my old impacts and forgotten how great they are (but they’re sponges in the wet & nackered
    I found the trailcross narrow across the foot but with a huge toe box, so I can’t decide between sizes
    I need to try the freerider pros – if anyone has tried both do they size up similar?

mattkkitch

5.10 Freerider Pros.

In the winter use waterproof socks with an under sock or even two if it’s really cold. Waterproof trousers will stop the socks from soaking up water from the top.

I’ve never been uncomfortable with this set up. Not been out all day in the absolute worst conditions but have done 6 hour rides with snow and rain in the Lakes.

endomick
    Free Member

Shimano have a new version of their GR903 with new Ultread sole, but I’m waiting for a review or two before buying as they’re a bit pricey.

sirromj

OP: What shoes?
    STW: mudguards and rotate brake levers.

Just amused me. But I get it.

mashr

Specialized 2FO Roosts are the only shoes I’ve ever found that match 5.10s – and they’re currently £75 at Sigma and Leisure Lakes

Tracey

Had to go up half a size on my Freerider Pros compared to my Freeriders. When it’s cold and really wet my old Freerider EPS have never let me down

Rubber_Buccaneer

When it’s cold and really wet my old Freerider EPS have never let me down

@Northwind
    has a polar opposite opinion on this.  Who do I believe?

doomanic

My EPS leak at the bottom of the tongue.

jedi

Ion scrub amp I believe they are called .I love them and used them for the past 2/3 years

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

@Northwind
    has a polar opposite opinion on this. Who do I believe?

I’m with Northwind 100% on this

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve seen pictures of Tracey riding an actual bike. Just saying.

chakaping
    Free Member

The current similar model is, I think, the GR9

Good shoes, not great in the cold & wet though.

Who do I believe?

I have ridden the EPS a lot. Mainly in the wet. I have found them very good.

I like to think I share an honest and balanced view of bike products, rather than going on an attention-seeking rant.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Somewhat pompous to think that your view is honest and balanced while others are on an attention seeking rant . FWIW I have the Freerider EPS and find that there is no point having waterproof leather if the water just gets in anywayy . The extra padding means extra drying time , and we’re talking days here unless you have a shoe dryer . Freerider Pro is in my personal experience a much better shoe in every way Lighter , better grip , just as waterproof as the EPS and much faster drying due to less padding and no more expensive . Even the laces are better .

chakaping
    Free Member

Somewhat pompous to think that your view is honest and balanced while others are on an attention seeking rant

Yeah maybe, he does lay it on a bit thick though.

I have a shoe dryer and multiple pairs of MTB shoes so the drying time doesn’t bother me, but that is a fair criticism.

I think the extra insulation over the Freerider Pro is useful (in the recent snow for example), though I agree the Pro is a better all-rounder (and my fave MTB shoe).

BillOddie

I converted over to flats in the spring.  As others have said technique makes more of a difference than outright grip differences between pedal/shoe A or B.

That being said…

Started off with a combination of DMR Vaults and Ride Concepts Hellion Elite with their super soft sole and they are very very grippy combo. Not least because the shoes wrap around the pedal.  I have also used them with HT PA03A pedals and found similar levels of grip.

Also have a pair of Leatt DBX 3.0 and they aren’t as grippy on the HTs but they are noticeably stiffer, they are still grippy enough though.  I need to get round to trying the DMRs with the Leatts as the thicker heavier threaded pins should hook up better on Leatts than the HTs.

The RC shoes aren’t waterproof but only have small vent holes.  Took a long while to dry from sodden.

The Leatts claim to be waterproof with their vents being backed by a waterproof breathable membrane. Not got them truly sodden yet so can’t comment on drying time.

bandicoot

I have 5.10 Freeriders. I bought a second pair of shoes for when it’s wet and went for Giro Riddance Mids. They’re not waterproof, but will fend off most splashes much better than canvas Freeriders. I only wear the Giros now, they feel much more supportive than the Freeriders and grip is absolutely fine despite what MBR claimed on their review.

One thing I would repeat is what somebody said about pedal choice. I see you said you have Hopes. I tried some F20’s recently and sold them after two rides, I was getting pedal slip lots which I’ve never had before. The Hopes are a smaller platform with less pins than the Nukeproofs I was used to. I went back to a set of Nukeproofs and haven’t had issue since.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s been a really simple answer for years. FiveTen of your choice. Everything else fails in the fundamental bit of grip, in comparison. One job as a flat shoe maker, make it as grippy as a FiveTen, yet no-one has been able to manage it until recently.

The only comparable shoes I’ve tried are the new Specialized 2FO (pick which ones suit you).

They are as grippy as a FiveTen & last better on the sole.

I don’t really understand why people get so bent out of shape about drying times either. A shoe dryer for £30 means it’s a non issue, whatever you have.

Have tried many others, none manage the simple requirement of the same levels of grip (even FiveTen lost the plot recently by putting the harder compound on the PrimeBlue Freerider Pros, which has made them shyte).

chakaping
    Free Member

They did it on the standard Freerider prime blue as well.

My friend was going mad thinking it was his shock causing his feet to keep bouncing off the pedals, then I spotted they’d used the less sticky compound.

mashr

I tried some F20’s recently and sold them after two rides, I was getting pedal slip lots which I’ve never had before.

Which ones though? Only the Roosts and DH (and the even newer canvas ones) are worth having

bandicoot

Come again? I’m talking about Hope F20 pedals.

prettygreenparrot

I like the Specialized 2FO flat pedals. Hard wearing. Simple. Lace retainer. And they dry quickly.

In wet winter I use decathlon lightweight walking boots. The ones like a rugged trainer but with ankle coverage.

militantmandy
    Free Member

I get on really well with Five Ten Impact Pro. Do an ok job of keeping out some water and dry quickly….and of course have absolutely amazing grip.

bikerevivesheffield

I’ve got:
    Freeriders
    Sleuths
    The old freeriders with half smooth sole
    O’Neil pinned pro

Order of grip:
    Old freeriders with 1/2 smooth sole – crap to walk in
    Freeriders – best compromise
    Sleuth – mediocre due to harder rubber

O’Neil pinned – pure shite

rob13
    Free Member

Does no one have a solution for those who can’t stand skate type shoes? Ive been hoping someone would make a trail shoe that doubles as a good MTB shoe. Not keen on those trailcross shoes as they feel a bit flimsy

mashr

bandicoot

Come again? I’m talking about Hope F20 pedals

Apologies – misread F20 for 2FO

Fully agreed about F20 being poor. They are a bit better when you remove the middle pins, but not the pedals I’d hoped for

dc1988

OWN tried something different but they were pricey and seem to have since disappeared, I liked their ideas and styling

Radioman

I might be in a minority but I find the Five Ten sticky soles have too much grip . I do find being totally locked onto the pedals makes it harder to adjust my foot position and often ends up hurting my knees.
    I have some five 10s but nearly always use my old Shimano shoes that have a lace cover/splash guard . The lace cover although totally “uncool looking “ stops the odd puddle splash immediately entering the shoes and keeps the laces clean, lessening the chore of doing them up and keeping muck out.
    I have just ordered some new Shimano GR9s.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Converting to Flats – what shoes?’ is closed to new replies.