Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Converting thru axles to QR – possible? Advisable? Pitfalls?
  • keithb

My bikes are old, they all have QR wheels. My road disc bike has 100/135mm MTB hubs, on 700c rims and I’m looking to change the wheels.

Can 15/12mm thru axles be converted with simple push in adaptors to work QR? My old 26er MTB wheels (crossmax) seem to have exactly this as part of their original design,

It would greatly open up the range of wheel options open to me!

Ta
    Keith

bri-72

Yes, tho ideally get wheels with official qr adapters you can buy specific to that hub ie hope or halo for example.

You can get cheap universal adapters off eBay or AliExpress, to fit into existing 15/12 end caps, but in my experience they didn’t insert far enough into the existing end caps and over time moved about and destroyed my hub shell.

honourablegeorge

Some wheels can, my Mavic Allroad disc cake with qr adaptors, Hope hubs can convert also

bri-72

Something like this is the universal ones. These look like the insertion depth not too bad, but my view they need to go all they way into the hub shell, not just into the lip of the end cap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334133373501?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cp1wcqktshq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=rDLdVOb6R7S&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

igm

Someone did a dummy thru axle with a QR fitting at one point.  Let me Google.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Halo make a 15mm to QR fitting, you can get them from the usual places.

thols2

I use one of those Nukeproof ones that igm linked to. Works perfectly.

keithb

Fab. Thanks all! That’s opened my wheel choice nicely, may even see if Mavic have their own, if I can find part numbers.

Cheers!

reeksy

I ran Mavic Crossmax originally made for 142 in a 135 using shorter end caps iirc.
    Either way the axle broke eventually. I think the load isn’t well distributed and they’re very lightweight axles and … I’m not.

ajantom

I bought a solid 15 thru – QR adaptor from eBay. Think it was £5-6. Been solid in use.

Like this…

jp-t853

The axle adapters work well but if you are going from 142 down to 135 and if you cannot find shorter end caps you will need to trim 3.5mm off each side. You will struggle to find new end caps for most wheels. I have done this before and it works fine but it is a bit fiddly

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.