Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Converting pushchair tyres to tubeless…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Spent a looooong time last night patching up one of the 12″ inner tubes in our off-road/running buggy after it went alongside a recently trimmed hawthorn hedge. I’ve got “thorn-proof” inner tubes but they’re a right bitch to install as they’re so stiff, and they’re still not impenetrable, hence using a normal tube which succumbed at least 8 times.

Still not fixed…

Got to thinking about a tubeless conversion. I’ve got a big roll of yellow tape and plenty of fluid, just need valves. Any reason not to? anyone done it?

mrhoppy

Would it not be easier to just put fluid into the tube, either through the valve or make a small hole and then patch it. I don’t suppose the buggy rims are that high quality to get a great seal. Must admit I’m considering something similar as the MIL keeps destroying ours.

njee20
    Free Member

Would it not be easier to just put fluid into the tube, either through the valve

This

scruff
    Free Member

Ive tried stans inside the tubes, didnt work, there wasnt enough air pressure or volume to get the hole to seal right as I guess it needs the air to blow the stans into the hole. maybe you coudl bang the tyres up to 100psi but dont think the ride would be very good for whover was in the buggy 😛 I bought new schwalbe buggy tyres off amazon, they do seem much much better at flat prevention.

theotherjonv

I don’t suppose the buggy rims are that high quality to get a great seal.

if you cut down the outside diameter of the tube, so the tube can then flap over the edges of the rim, you can then get a tyre on so that when you inflate it, it pushes a bit of the tube into the bead hook of the rim and it doesn’t matter if the rim to tyre seal is any good because you have the inner tube as a sort of gasket. Once on and inflated (with sealant obviously) then you can trim the excess tube off

bonchance
    Free Member

Pram outlets sell charged ‘slime’ canisters (goes in the tube – different make up to STan’s) and tyre liners for Phil&teds etc.. Can approach 40quid for full set though..

Worked pretty well for us a while ago but still a bit of a lash up. Did cut the incident rate by 90% (3 a month to 2 a year!) on a pretty heavily (and heavy on it’s tyres) used 2up Phil and Ted

– then 1 of the 2 started refusing entry and a Bugaboo with solid tyres came along..

– Then a Mclaren came along (everyone gets one eventually!)

PS I also found over pumping the tyres was part of my problem – in the handbook the PSI is much lower than I would have realised..

StirlingCrispin

I feel your pain.

I used Slime tyre liners on our buggy – which worked well.
    A £13 set should do enough tyres for a couple of prams (I look after several buggys in our street!)

I’ve often been tempted to arm the childminder with aerosol sealant mentioned above to get her home, but I’ve found they can make it impossible to patch a tube later on:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-Tyre-Liner-Suit-Wheels/dp/B000ENMLE6

And a Topeak adaptor can be a useful aid to getting a pump to fit the valves:
    http://www.flcuk.com/accessories/pumps/p2064s32/topeak-pressure-rite-90-degree-adapter-schraeder.htm

andyl
    Free Member

Why not try those plastic strips you put between the tyre ant tube?

Friend of mine had this and I suggested decent tyres and a tubeless conversion or put some kind of barrier layer in.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

How about tyre liners?

Why not try those plastic strips you put between the tyre ant tube?

Tried this, they got twisted around the inner tube when the tiny tyre was wresteld into place.

Might go down the route of slime in the inner tube.

Managed to avoid having a two-seater by a 4-year age gap between kids. But even so, we have 3 buggies. iCandy Cherry and Quinny Zapp both have solid tyres thankfully, its just the XTC Twister that gets used for running with.

GDRS

We have an old style mountainbuggy and the slime in tube route has limited the flats. We carry a spare tube (one with the valve at an angle for ease of change and that I have pre slimed). We also carry some tweasers and a small pump. Basically I treat it like a bike ride. Anyway I now put way more slime in than I did originally and that has limited the flats big time.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Tubes are (ok were!) fine, my bet is tyres are unsuitable for job. Whatabout: Other outlets also sell?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Just put slime liquid in the tubes. I do it for customers all the time and my own and it’s solved it. Just check the tyre periodically for thorns and remove them. Spin the wheel and the slime seals the hole.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

I just had a customer in asking about it, i was thinking Stans in it, but like has been said, the pressure only being ~15psi. The consensus i get is that the original Slime in the tube is the way to go, but a lot of it?

whatgoesup

I put slime into the std inner tubes that came with ours, and didn’t have a single puncture in a years use.

RustyMac

Schwalbe do puncture proof 12″ tyres.

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/active-plus/kid-plus/

bentudder

Had a puncture with our Phil & Ted’s when Udderlet 1 was about four weeks old.

Took out the valve cores on all three tubes with a valve core remover, then injected about 10ccs of Stans. Replaced cores. Forgot about it.

That was about four years ago. One tyre has a slow puncture, so I should get round to it. The P&T currently holds both Udderlets and gets used in parks and on’t hills about 3-4 times a week.

cookeaa

I bought a spare rear wheel for our bill & Ted which I leave underneath so I have a 2/3 chance if we get a flat out an about.

I also found out the hard way about not over pressuring the wheels by cracking a rim with ~45psi…

Still using tubes in them but with schwalbe “puncture proof” tyres no problems in over a year but it’s seeing less use now as the kids are getting bigger and my missus is simply too cack handed to fold it up to go in the boot.

Might flog it soon…

Markie
    Free Member

After a similar experience I put in Dr Sludge tubes – no problems from then until we moved beyond the buggy…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Sludge-Sealing-Inner-04018/dp/B007OAFH9I

scruff
    Free Member

Rusty Mac, those Schwalbe ones aren’t puncture proof, puncture resistant maybe. If they puncture and are still pushed around with kid in, for instance ALL DAY at Chessington World of Adventure, the wire bead rips through and the tyre is a scrapper. I’ve put a panaracer one on the front, will see if it lasts any better.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Havent had any punctures in over a year with stans in the tubes..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Converting pushchair tyres to tubeless…’ is closed to new replies.