Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Convertibles: Mini vs A3
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

These seem pretty similar in many respects (performance, economy, wheelbase), except:

A3 has 3x the boot size
    A3 has insulated roof,
    A3 is 2′ longer – probes get a bike in it with the seats down.
    A3 is more £££ (and I’d be buying at it’s lower end – a concern?).

Any thoughts? Both rated reasonable to drive, Mini probably a bit nippier, but noisier/less comfortable cruising?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Only that both are pretty much the last cars on earth I’d ever choose for myself – is either white? If so, the other one.

5lab

I’d be very surprised if you could get a bike in either (with the roof on). Its rare for any drop-top to have foldy rear seats (as they need the additional rigidity), and the boots are generally extremely shallow to allow the roof to fold in.

The a3 probably has marginally less useless rear seats, if that’s a decision maker. if you don’t need them at all, mx5.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

I have not driven either as convertibles but both as normal saloons. A3 much more comfortable (esp on motorway) and imo better quality overall. BMW have been somewhat true to the original Mini with the “go-kart” feel and simpler interior. Of the two for me it would be Audi all the way – still regret not buying a mates 3yr old A3 when it came off company lease. As above I doubt you could get a bike inside either easily with roof up.

Daffy

You can get a bike in the boot of a Z4, so the A3 might be capable.

ourmaninthenorth

Mrs North drivers a Cooper S convertible.

I’m not a massive fan of the scuttle shake (but v few convertibles get away with this IMO, even those designed as drop tops). It’s fast and fun as Jamba says, though being an adult in the back isn’t a long journey proposition.

You’d get a bike in the back in pieces (i.e. both wheels off) but you’d have to drop the roof to take it in and out. Can’t see it would be a problem driving it with a bike in the back and the roof up.

MX-5 much easier for bike carrying as you can use a rack (I’ve still got the Saris Bones rack even though the 5 is long gone…).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks for the helpful responses, I think a test-ride will decide it. Scuttle shake, not sure I’ve experienced that in my old MX5 – car going a bit wobbly during committed cornering?

MX5 carries **** all and only 2 people – so it’s out.

I have actually done some research, both seats fold but the Audi has a narrow aperture which means a bike wouldn’t go in from the boot. Oddly I am not really interested in comments from brand-snobs.

I’ve seen bike racks on both.

EDIT – is it bad to be buying the cheapest of the SH ones?

ourmaninthenorth

MX5 carries **** all and only 2 people – so it’s out.

In boot terms, I don’t recall our MX5 holding materially less than the Mini – in many ways it’s easier to get stuff into the MX5 as the aperture is a better shape.

We used to get loads in our MX-5, but true it isn’t as big inside as the Mini.

Scuttle shake, not sure I’ve experienced that in my old MX5 – car going a bit wobbly during committed cornering?

Yep, there’s a feeling of a shimmy through the car when cornering hard on less than even surfaces. MX5 not as bad as the Mini.

It’s prob worsened by the 17″ wheels on the Mini and liqourice band tyres….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta – interesting re the space in both.

I’d be getting sensible wheels/tyres anyways so hopefully not too bad.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I went for the Mini, half price basically clinched it.

But it’s ace, I can get my long 19″ mtb in it, or 2 adults in the back, comfortable and 50mpg on long runs, fun and noisy when you want it to be – not noticed scuttle shake so much but I’ve not been thrashing it.

I’ll miss the roadster mind…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bike in back seats with wheels off ? Roof lowered to get the bike in ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or..

Book Taxi, put bike in Taxi to destination, drive to destination in softtop and meet Taxi, ride bike, Taxi return trip arrives, reload, meet Taxi back at home roof down..

Winner winner ice cream filler.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Correct Andy – seatpost off too and frame diagonal

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thought you lived in Scotland Al? Like the feel of rain and sleet through your hair?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks. My bike will go in the wife’s Micra CC rear seats the same way, needs handle bars off to go in the boot though. Hence I normally only use her car on days I can drive with the roof down and bike assembled but in it’s duffbag

cynic-al
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

thought you lived in Scotland Al? Like the feel of rain and sleet through your hair?

I do, but the dry east.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Convertibles: Mini vs A3’ is closed to new replies.