Convertible roof care…. What to use?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Convertible roof care…. What to use?
  • alpin

Unfortunately it’s that time of year to swap the nice summer alloys for the winter steels and put the hardtop on the GF’s MX5.

The car is 16 years old and spent most of its winters sitting in a garage and a such the roof is in top condition  We don’t have that luxury (ie we don’t have 80€/month to spend on a parking space).

What product would you recommend for treating/cleaning the roof before I fit the hardtop?

Premier Icon diz
    Subscriber

I’ve used both autoglym and Supagard roof products and both are good.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

I use tent cleaner and tent waterproofer…

Yeah, I do👍

I was in Audi talking crap about the hood, what I should use and they came out with “buy this it’s what we use” and I got taken to one side and was told that what they really use to reproof customer hoods is tent cleaner (to get the mould off that you can’t see) and tent reproofer (liberally applies and worked in)

You can buy black dye (or other colours) if you feel the hood is starting to fade, it’s the same dye most manufacturers use to colour fabric hoods.

I have a routine, twice a year I clean and dry the hood.. even in the recesses that fit around the doors and where it folds into the hood bay… I use a little scrub mop from Autoglym (a previous brand I used to use) dry it, apply the dye.. dry it… apply liberally the reproofing stuff… allow to dry.

Mines parked outside ATM and it looks blinking brilliant…

I used renovo stuff on my mx5 vinyl roof. There’s a cleaner and another proofer. It was really good. There’s a version for a fabric roof too.

I used to use Renovo products on my mx5’s vinyl roof, impressed with the results. Think they do similar products for mohair roofs also.

unblock the rain channels and make sure the hood is dry before folding it away for the winter. If the rear window is vinyl you can put a piece of pipe lagging where it folds to help prevent it becoming marked or cracking, if the rear window is glass then you’ve no worries.

Premier Icon twistedpencil
    Subscriber

Not sure where you a based but I stumbled across a car cover we had for the mx5 yesterday that we used for the winter months when it was parked up for any period. If your passing by Manchester you can have it.  Looks in good nick.

As for roof care, gaffer tape the rips and I used a rubber and vinyl care spray. We then got it reroofed and it was amazing.   Miss that little car…

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Some products can shrink some roofs (notably my smarts, which has a rubber layer under the fabric).

<i>This is a MK2 </i>with a mohair roof?

alpin

Cheers guys….

Think it’s a vinyl roof.

Thanks for the offer  but I’m in Munich.

Will order something and get in done during the week.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

I used renovo stuff on my mx5 vinyl roof. There’s a cleaner and another proofer. It was really good. There’s a version for a fabric roof too.

Its this stuff !!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.