Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Convert my CK Headset from 1.5" to 1 1/8"?
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve got a 1.5″ CK headset which I’m running with (obviously!) 1.5″ forks. Thing is that I’ve got a nice set of 1 1/8″ forks I’d like to try but I don’t want to have to buy another headset. Can you buy anything like a converter sleeve which would mean the 1 1/8″ forks fit into the 1.5″ headset?

I don’t want to change the headset because I’m planning swapping back and forth between the forks to get a feel for the differences before I make my mind up.

I can sort of imagine what I’d need but can’t find anything on the internet. Any help would be fantastic.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Perfect, thanks for that Neil. I’d searched but didn’t see those. Anyone know if there’s a UK stockist?

honourablegeorge

Looking at the prices of those two, I can’t help thinking a new CK headset and selling the old one would be cheaper and better.

Aspire deliver worldwide for free, over a certain amount.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Honourablegeorge, I’m sure it would be a better solution but I’m wanting to swap back and forth between forks. I’ll speak to AV and see what the shipping costs are, unless anyone knows of a UK option.

neilforrow

doug, i do the same thing with 2 sets of forks on my new bike… using a hope headset. It is the eaiest way. Just fit the new crown race to the 2nd fork and stash it in the shed.

I will be fitting the totems for the dh days and the thors for the more xc days.

pastcaring
    Free Member
    doug_basqueMTB.com

I’m a bit confused by those hope ones. Are they just adaptors, if so would they just plug straight into my CK headset? Is that what you use Neil?

Thanks for the help so far by the way. I’m popping out for a couple of hours so if I don’t reply then it’s not because I’m not grateful!

neilforrow

yep, i use a hope headset with both a tapered fork and a 1 1/8th fork. I have an adaptor the fits into the lower cup and it lets me swap over the forks.

you will need to get a hope headset to run the hope adaptors.

stick with the king you have got and get the new top/bottom races and your set.

Neil.

pastcaring
    Free Member

i may be wrong but iirc, king and hope (and nearly everyone else) use a 45 degree crown race.
    so should work, but i’ve never tried it. we had some split races made at work and i use them instead of the ones supplied with the hs.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve got a King headset with all the bits so I can swap between 1.5″ and 1-1/8″ steerers in my frame, and it works a treat.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Hey Doug

I have a reducer headset for 1,1/8 forks for my frame (not intended originally for 1.5 forks but that´s what I have on it now) that I don´t use.
    I don´t know if it´ll fit your bike but you´re welcome to try it out or I can measure the diameters for you.

boxfish
    Free Member

Bromley Bikes may be able to get you the parts you need – they’re a CK Service Centre.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks for all the replies guys. I know what I’m looking for now.

Thanks for the offer sunnrider, I might take you up on that if I don’t get any joy with the adaptors.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Convert my CK Headset from 1.5" to 1 1/8"?’ is closed to new replies.