Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 552 total)
  • Controversial cycling opinions? Let’s hear ’em!
  • greenskin
    Free Member

Most people in this forum don’t ride, they just own a bike and hate their lives. It’s why they live in the chat forum so much.

tomhoward

People who join groups to tell others in the group how shit they are, they are the best kind of people.

greenskin
    Free Member

Absolutely the best kind of people.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Flashing lights, at both front and rear, have more of a negative safety impact than positive and are hugely antisocial to other cyclists.

nickc

People only ride mtbs because they are either too fat or not fit enough to ride road bikes.

People only ride road bikes because they lack the skill to ride off-road.

stevious

Cycling is better when you’re wearing sunglasses.

100% correct at all times.

Blackflag
    Free Member

GT Zaskar is a total disgrace to its roots and should not be adorned with the legendary name until its redesigned back to a hardcore hard tail.

Testify brother!!

Although thats not controversial, its a fact.

13thfloormonk

Tubeless is way more faff than many will readily admit

I was a very early adopter, it was amazing, it genuinely improved my riding, but still I just gradually sort of drifted back to tubes, and somehow just couldn’t be bothered going tubeless again, and just sort if didn’t miss it…

Still, 30psi in a 35mm CX tyre is pretty tempting…

LAT

The GT Zaskar, like all GT bikes is and always was an ugly bike

bruneep

large group rides should be discouraged seen pics of local ride 60 ish riders on it, just wrong

null

null

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Disc brakes are worse than rim brakes for UK winter road riding.

slowoldman

Bloody hell bruneep when did the ramblers take up MTB?

2tyred

If you can’t trackstand properly then I can’t really respect you as a rider.

Disc brakes on road bikes look bad, no matter the bike.

My wife is scathing about people who rode with their knees sticking out and I love that.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Fisting is not necessary on group rides.

loughor
    Free Member

Mountain bikes, mountain biking and mountain bikers are all pish boring 😜

hardtailheaven
    Free Member

Gmbn is crap and doddy looks like one of the double take brothers with that stupid haircut, also ebikes are for tourists, dropper posts and flat pedals are for wimps who can’t ride and uplift and bike parks are for men who wear skinny jeans and are bullied by Thier girlfriends, happy Christmas

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

SPDs are like those stretchy strings that go up each arm and across the shoulder, from glove to glove, for thick, clumsy kids that canny keep their gloves on.

ampthill

Your frame doesn’t bend enough to be compliant

Wheel weight matters much less than everyone claims. The twice as much as benefit as weight saved any where else thing doesn’t apply when your riding up hill or if the weight is saved in the hubs.

funkrodent

Fisting is not necessary on group rides.

Strictly necessary? No.

But you’d have to be a churl to deny that it can add a certain je ne sais quoi to what could otherwise be a fairly vanilla experience. Though in fairness it can have connotations from a saddle soreness point of view. Best to carry large jars of bum butter, just in case..

13thfloormonk

Flat pedals work fine on road bikes

Problem for me was not the pedal but the shoe! Very few sleek, light, non ‘spongey’ uppered, roadie looking flat shoes around.

Disc brakes are worse than rim brakes for UK winter road riding

Amen brother! That makes two of us now, the resistance starts here!

funkrodent

Properly trained trail hounds (ie ones that have been buzzed a few times by 2.4″ of high speed rubber) that know where they should be at, massively improve the ride experience. They’re also way more competent at climbing, descending and ridingalonging than the practically hairless bipeds teetering along on their overpriced metal machines some way behind them..

13thfloormonk

I got undertaken on a corner by a properly trained trailhound while riding in North Van, awesome/humbling/hilarious/distracting all at the same time!

DezB
    Free Member

Disc brakes are worse than rim brakes for UK winter road riding

Interested in this bollocks – do you actually mean that rim brakes stop you better? **** knows what abomination of discs you’ve tried, if that is the case!

scotroutes

Rather like the Picolax thread, the whole Mint Sauce collection is one humorous idea stretched out until it became exceedingly boring.

thepurist

There’s no such thing as a stupid question about headsets.

13thfloormonk

Interested in this bollocks – do you actually mean that rim brakes stop you better? **** knows what abomination of discs you’ve tried, if that is the case!

My experience: Disc brakes need to get hot, so gentle rolling winter road rides in rain and puddles = cold wet rotors = squeeeeeall

Stock tektro callipers + Swisstop BXP pads = adequate but silent braking. Bliss.

If someone develops a guaranteed silent disc brake, I’ll be all over that bandwagon like a shot!

ampthill

I’ve been a spectator at one world cup cyclocross race. A very muddy course. It was about 90% rim brakes. The teams stated that disc brakes were great in the dry but not enough modulation on the wet. There was a thread on here about it

brownsauce
    Free Member

Bikes with 50T cassettes and a piddling 28T chain ring up front look ridiculous

2×10 provides the ultimate gear set up for nearly all cycling applications

epicyclo

Medium gear (72″) is the correct gear for all occasions.
    Except when it isn’t.

Training for an event is cheating. A gentleman relies on his natural athletic ability.

montgomery
    Free Member

Big groups of roadies all wearing matching tops. ****.

weeksy

Problem for me was not the pedal but the shoe! Very few sleek, light, non ‘spongey’ uppered, roadie looking flat shoes around

Why do they need to be sleek and roadie looking. Five ten freeriders, all bikes all days!

scotroutes

Schrader valves are OK for tractors or for gorillas who lack any mechanical feel.

Bikes should use Presta valves.

matt_outandabout

Continetal vertical pro’s are tosh.

Rockshox damping is just odd, unless on thier latest uber-fork.

nickc

Training for an event is cheating. A gentleman relies on his natural athletic ability.

This is same school of bollox that gave us “A bad workman blames his tools”

Bikes should use Presta valves.

How is this controversial?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Endoverend…

Most modern full suspension trail bikes aren’t actually that nice to ride on anything other than downhill, they pedal badly and have poor ride feel compared to nice all-round bikes from the past.

In my opinion (which may be weird, as I am weird) is that modern bikes outside of fully fledged XC bikes have not taken great leaps forward in actual proper pedalling ride quality – you know the actual type of riding where going uphill, covering distance are a big part of the ride.

Modern shocks are too good at sucking the bike to the ground for descent orientated riding and seem to absorb pedalling energy. Bikes are bloated in weight to handle ‘youtube’ riding- and this kills the climbing ability…which if you ride in the mountains is a big part of any ride.

Manufacturers seem to have forgotten that OldSkool thing of pedalling ride quality being an aim…..and is why we logically end up with e-bikes to negate all that.

Utterly, completely true. You’ve totally hit the nail on the head there. Bikes that are great downhill are not so great uphill/xc, so people don’t enjoy uphill/xc. So bikes get even more downhill orientated to the extent that people dislike riding them any other way so much that they need to put a ****’ engine in them to make them bearable.

TiRed

Big groups of roadies all wearing matching tops. ****.

Eh? What you mean club kit because you’re a member of a club?

And Rapha CC is not a real bike club. Eh Crazy-legs? 😉 . It’s for Jonny come lately cyclists who don’t appreciate the heritage of real cycle clubs (1893 in our case)

dovebiker

Today’s CX World Cup race at Namur was better than any XC mountain bike race ever.

dc1988

@brownsauce you seem to be forgetting why 1x drivetrains were so popular to begin with. It wasn’t anything to do with the promise of better gear ratios.

TiRed

The answer to 32×50 is spelled A-L-F-I-N-E, and it’s probably lighter too

bullandbladder
    Free Member

If you use the phrase “send it” without being ironic, then you need to have a serious word with yourself.

Unless you’re in a post office.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 552 total)

The topic ‘Controversial cycling opinions? Let’s hear ’em!’ is closed to new replies.