Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 552 total)
  • Controversial cycling opinions? Let’s hear ’em!
  • montgomery
    Free Member

Ronhill Tracksters are a functional, comfortable and thrifty clothing choice for winter hacks around the woods.

And look damned stylish if you’ve got the figure to carry them off.

singlespeedstu

Riding without gloves is fashion driven.
    Full face helmets at trail centres are **** stupid.
    Anyone that doesn’t see the need for a dropper post doesn’t ride anything even remotely technical. (DH bikes not included)
    Techy climbs on Ebikes are massive fun.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Troy Lee makes ugly clothing for red necks

Get the **** out. Most eye catching and innovative more like. You can keep your black and shades of grey!

Who doesn’t like multi colour fade leopard print, polka dots or doesn’t want to be “worlds fastest”

Boom

Yeah Boi

**** yeah

null

tomhoward

Who doesn’t like multi colour fade leopard print, polka dots or doesn’t want to be “worlds fastest”

Me, getting married, wearing those very shorts…

Leaving the venue (new wife not pictured)…

slowoldman

Lycra is slimming.

seb84

Riding with gloves on feels crap.
    Fast or fun is a false dichotomy, going fast on a lls bike is fun.

lunge

The only point in riding uphill is to ride back down the most fun way possible.

Downhill is a quick fix of adrenaline, the real, lasting enjoyment comes at the end of a good climb.

Ultimately, climbing is more fun than descending.

scotroutes

You can still be a mountain biker even if you’ve never heard of Sam Pilgrim, “Crankworx”, Freeride or slopestyle.

endomick
    Free Member

GT Zaskar is a total disgrace to its roots and should not be adorned with the legendary name until its redesigned back to a hardcore hard tail.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

If you own more than one bike one must be a singlespeed, none should be a fixie.
    Steel isn’t always real, sometimes it’s shit.
    The purpose of Lycra is to embarrass your family.

robo89
    Free Member

The red wedding was not the most horrific one I’ve seen. ⬆️

georgesdad

Longer, lower, slacker is bullhonkey. Its giving us bikes that are lazy to turn and hard work to manhandle around tight singletrack. It can also only work to a point unless we’re all going to be riding the pedal equivalent of Dennis Hopper’s hog from Easy Rider. Then the marketing men will all start convincing us that shorter, higher, steeper is the future, and eventually we’ll all be back on 26″ bikes with 3x, and all the kids will think it’s something new.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone that doesn’t see the need for a dropper post doesn’t ride anything even remotely technical. (DH bikes not included)

This gets said a lot, why not including DH bikes?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cos you never really sit and pedal? So no need for it on a dh bike.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Titanium makes the least durable frames .

Aero road bikes offer no real benefit to riders .

imnotverygood

Despite riding a mountain bike, none of my friends work in IT, have a beard or possess a wood burning stove…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cos you never really sit and pedal? So no need for it on a dh bike.

Which goes no way towards explaining the lack of slammed seats on DH bikes……

tomhoward

Goes a fair way to explain why none of them are extended to full pedalling height though. Set the saddle at the lowest you can bear to pedal whilst seated, if you need to (which most don’t, they sprint, so no need for a dropper and it’s associated weight penalty). Also, some riders like to grip the saddle with their knees, so set it at the optimum height for that.

easily
    Free Member

I don’t know what people on STW are talking about half the time.

I don’t understand the point of tubeless.

Cycling is better when you’re wearing sunglasses.

winston
    Free Member

Most front lights are too bright

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ tomhoward

A man of discerning taste, I salute you sir.

moonsaballoon

It doesn’t matter where you ride, what you ride, what you wear when your doing it, if your out on a mtb and enjoying yourself your doing it right.

There are enough pov videos on YouTube of people riding round glentress so just leave it for your own personal pleasure

jekkyl

ROAD biking is shit.
    or maybe that should read
    Riding on a road only, with a drop barred bike is shit, honestly why would you limit yourself to only that terrain? I’ll let you off if you ride both occasionally, if you only ride a road bike you haven’t lived.

bouncecycles
    Free Member

Putting your name on your frame means you are delusional and very selfish in bed.

bouncecycles
    Free Member

Most people aren’t really racing, they are just turning up to a paid event.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tomhoward has it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I miss geex too….

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Riding on the road and holding traffic up, pull over and let them pass. Only takes a moment, but helps to increase goodwill all round.

Goes double if your in a group / on a single track road

shermer75
    Free Member

You should have a licence to cycle on the road

bruceonabike
    Free Member

imnotverygood

Despite riding a mountain bike, none of my friends work in IT, have a beard or possess a wood burning stove…

Zoiks! Tick, tick and err, tick. :/

OwenP

South East England is a terrible place to live if you enjoy mountain biking, it’s nasty in winter and it’s too flat. The few places that even attempt to address these issues are too crowded and travelling for hours to ride somewhere decent is rubbish. We should have taken up something more locally accessible instead.

bigdean

Rigid is more fun than full suss.
    Inching down potato alley on a rigid is just as bum clenchingly rewarding as smashing it on a gnarpoon.

The Mrs is correct, I have too many bikes!

joeydeacon
    Free Member

“This is the new clean era”

No it’s not, they’re* just using different doping techniques and are still ahead of the testers.

Until climb times drastically reduce, and consistently unbelievable performances stop, then I don’t think a clean rider of this era (no matter the “smoke screen” increases in technology/training) would be within touching distance of an EPO time in the 90s. Judge the riders on their climb times/performances, not on their PR department’s excuses/spin.

*The bulk of the riders winning the major races.

nickc

Its giving us bikes that are lazy to turn and hard work to manhandle around tight singletrack

People pay too much attention to opinion on the internets

winston
    Free Member

Most mtbs are too heavy and most road bikes are too light.

13thfloormonk

Most people aren’t really racing, they are just turning up to a paid event

I’m always racing. Being bad at it changes nothing.

mooman
    Free Member

1. Its always the newbie or bad riders that bang on about wearing helmets.
    2. Disc brakes are not needed on summer road bikes.
    3. People only ride mtbs because they are either too fat or not fit enough to ride road bikes.
    4. I am a better cyclist than at least 90% of people who post on STW.
    5. Geraint Thomas is a money grabbing fake.

brownsauce
    Free Member

Lovin this thread , a free open rant makes the perfect tonic to the pre-xmas stress period

Sram gears are clunky junk compared to shimano

Tubeless is way more faff than many will readily admit

internal cabling for a mtb is a victory for stupidity & style over common sense & practicality

dudeofdoom

worrying about aligning your valve core \ rim labels \ tyre labels shows a mental lacking

Ahh but it makes locating the valve easier when you want to put air in :-p

LAT

Putting your name on your frame means you are delusional and very selfish in bed.

It’s not that these people are being selfish in bed, it is just that they have very small willies.

Get the **** out. Most eye catching and innovative more like. You can keep your black and shades of grey!

I was clearly mistaken and owe you a debt of gratitude for enlightening me.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 552 total)

The topic ‘Controversial cycling opinions? Let’s hear ’em!’ is closed to new replies.