Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 552 total)
  • Controversial cycling opinions? Let’s hear ’em!
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh, and anyone that thinks a Bianchi or Pinarello looks good is absolutely out of their **** mind.

toby

I miss bar ends.

munrobiker
    Free Member

And this one isn’t controversial – for DH, XC or enduro, flat pedals are for new riders. Sam Hill is the exception that proves the rule, and he’d be faster with SPDs.

13thfloormonk

Zwift activities have no place on Strava

Thanks, didn’t have the guts for this one.

That, or Zwift miles should count as half as they require far less commitment than going out in the wet and cold and actually posting an interesting local route (only jealous as already-fit buddy is sneakily getting even fitter on Zwift this winter while I lie about injured and posting on here…)

NewRetroTom

Any ride less than an hour long does not require water, food or spare clothing.

jam-bo

its not about the bike.

13thfloormonk

Oh, and anyone that thinks a Bianchi or Pinarello looks good is absolutely out of their **** mind.

I can’t resist a nice Bianchi, until it comes to actually buying one and realising how overpriced they are with all sorts of cheap and nasty cost cutting components. Not for all the celeste in the world I’m afraid!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No one wants to watch your sick edit.

chakaping
    Free Member

2) 26″ was in hindsight, terrible. Mainly, IMO, due to BB being above the axles (or close to it)

3) Orange full-sussers since about 2016 look lovely

I like the cut of your jib.

Richie_B

About the same proportion of drivers and cyclists on the road are dicks (Although the potential outcomes for drivers and cyclists are very different).

trailwagger
    Free Member

Gravel bikes/biking were not invented by a marketing department trying to sell more bikes, its an actual thing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Related, if the ride is scheduled to start at 9am then that means we’re moving by 9:05 latest. If you want to faff then arrive early.

No, if a ride starts at 9, it starts at 9. Discussions over route choice, who’s leading, cafe stops and the weather take place before that.

I’m going to need this one explained to me though…

Some people like to evangelize over how they’re more important than suspension, disk brake and >2.1″ tyres put together. Other people just get on with it. TBH I have a dropper on one bike and not the others, I use it, but don’t really notice it when it’s not there. It’s a very expensive, heavy and fragile addition to mountain bikes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It WAS a spoon.

ransos
    Free Member

The vast majority of MTBs are pointless overkill for the vast majority of UK trails.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bike brands are largely incompetent when it comes to making durable products, as evidenced by the woefully short bearing life experienced in most MTBs.

Dickyboy

Triple chainsets are wonderful, everyone who doesn’t have on is just kidding themselves they don’t need a granny gear.

feed

Lycra is the right tool for the job of riding a bike. That you don’t wear it means you’re either vain or a fool or both.

Lycra is the right tool for the job of riding a bike but should be worn covered by baggies unless in an XC race. Half acceptable on the road maybe but not uncovered when worn by anyone over 12st (I’m include in this).

hooli

Noisy hubs are the work of the devil.
    Coloured Hope components looks shit in any and every colour.
    We all look like idiots to people who don’t ride bikes – doesn’t matter if its lycra or a full face helmet and storm trooper padding.
    We don’t need half the crap bike journalists tell us we do. Most of the niches they tell us about can be covered by “going for a ride on a bike”. I may be 0.3 seconds slower than if I was on the ideal bike but it really doesn’t matter as I am not in a competition.
    There is no such thing as a pain cave or similar, it is your garage and you are riding several hundred quids worth of kit in your garage because it is too cold to go outside.

anono

Just because you’re riding a bike, you’re not automatically in the right.

and in a similar vein

About the same proportion of drivers and cyclists on the road are dicks (Although the potential outcomes for drivers and cyclists are very different).

hhmmmmm…..commuting through central London I’d say about 75% of cyclists are dicks to some extent – this increases to 100% if they have any deliveroo branding on them.

MrSparkle

Cycling happens outside London.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

The benefits of helmet wearing are overstated

trailwagger
    Free Member

I`m not finding the majority of these opinions controversial at all.

ayjaydoubleyou

I`m not finding the majority of these opinions controversial at all.

I disagree with about half and strongly agree with the other half – so i guess that’s spot on

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Zwift/turbo training is not cycling

no dear work-colleague, you have not ridden alpe d’huez, you just sat in your shed for longer than normal

fasthaggis

I have never had any problem with Avid brakes.
    I wave at/acknowledge all cyclists when I am out.
    I stop at all red lights, even if there is no one crossing.
    I don’t care if 1X everything is in.
    I would never call any time on a bike ..junk miles, if I am cycling, it’s all good.

Paul-B

‘Massive’ group mountain bike rides outside of an organised charity event or race are stupid and irresponsible.

ton

fat blokes make good cyclists.

lycra is ****. tweed is far nice to wear.

beer is the perfect cycling drink. both isotonic and thirst quenching.

touring is by far the best form of cycling………… FACT

Houns

Bikepacking…spending loads to have a crap nights sleep

(But yet still do it/type 2 enjoy it)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It WAS a spoon.

Spooning leads to forking.

lunge

More? More.

The single most important component on a bike is the tyres so pick them well and look after them. A few PSI can change the characteristics of a bike, and bad tyres can make any bike feel terrible.

If you consistently break wheels and frames, unless you’re riding world cup DH for a living, it just means you’re a poor rider who can’t ride with any finesse.

If you have to drive to a ride and the total time getting there and back, including packing, unpacking, cleaning up kit and any other faffing, is more than the time spent riding you are doing things very wrong indeed. Ideally aim for 1 hour riding for every half hour travelling.

Ultimately, cycling is great, but it’s not quite as great as running.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you have to drive to a ride and the total time getting there and back, including packing, unpacking, cleaning up kit and any other faffing, is more than the time spent riding you are doing things very wrong indeed. Ideally aim for 1 hour riding for every half hour travelling.

I dunno, there’s a lot to be said for a weekend away. Although I’m inclined to squeeze a lot of riding into those, I managed 320 miles in a Scottish long weekend last summer! That’s not to say squeezing a trip to Afan or BPW isn’t a worthwhile day out.

lister

I enjoy being over-biked.

TheBrick
    Free Member

A hard tail always looks better single speed.

matt_outandabout

I miss bar ends.

Beaten to it.

feed

Zwift/turbo training is not cycling

Totally agree, don’t think anyone would disagree, but the fitness gains make cycling more enjoyable because you can go for longer and suffer less.

My ones,

Big shaggy beards used to be kinda out there but are now a ridiculously cliched “mountain biker” look.

Anyone who color coordinates their bike kit is a bit sad

worrying about aligning your valve core \ rim labels \ tyre labels shows a mental lacking

trumpton
    Free Member

roadies are grumpy. Well that’s what I thought until I went riding with my sister and they all nodded and said hello to her and ignored me. Still grumpy though.

SPD’s have no place in mountain biking only for roadies.

Forget gravel bikes get a retro mtb instead.

Top of the line bikes are a waste of money for most riders. Might as well get a mid range bike. they are just as good.

Most alloy bikes are fine and it’s more durable than carbon.

All of the above is a bit tongue in cheek.

slowoldman

Mountain bikers tend to be far older men who look hideous in Lycra.

I think you meant fat.

Triple chainsets are wonderful, everyone who doesn’t have on is just kidding themselves they don’t need a granny gear.

Agreed, but I am old and slow.

Lycra is the right tool for the job of riding a bike but should be worn covered by baggies unless in an XC race. Half acceptable on the road maybe but not uncovered when worn by anyone over 12st.

I may be old and slow but I’m only just over 9st.

funkmasterp

I think full suspension bikes are overkill for the majority of UK riding.

tomhoward

Expensive bikes are worth it, even if you aren’t at pro levels of ability.

thepurist

Steel isn’t even in the Top 3 materials to build a frame out of.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 552 total)

The topic ‘Controversial cycling opinions? Let’s hear ’em!’ is closed to new replies.