Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 552 total)
  • Controversial cycling opinions? Let’s hear ’em!
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m referring to the amount of folk on here that seem to think they know better than the manufacturers and buy a large sized bike despite being average height and at the medium point on the recommendation scale.

How times change. I remember when folk bought the size down so the bike was more “chuckable”. They were wrong then, too.

nickc

Most cycling is purely fashion led – type of clothing…

All clothing is fashion led, while cycling isn’t immune from it, it’s no more enslaved to it than any other part of the 21st century.

chakaping
    Free Member

will always buy coloured components if they’re cheaper

If you’re getting them cheaper then you don’t count in the “spending loads of money” bit.

jamesoz

If you crash road riding without the help of other road users, black ice or pedestrians then maybe it’s not the sport for you.

nofx
    Free Member

Slow Oldman. It’s illegal to block the road. A bunch of mamils that think they’re in the tour de France have no right to do it. Imagine if I drove at 15mph in front of you for miles,would that be OK with you?, 🤔🤣

nofx
    Free Member

I can’t find the relevant law. I’ll post a link when I do 😊

taxi25
    Free Member

I can’t find the relevant law. I’ll post a link when I do

I don’t think there is a specific law but it could be covered under.

2. Careless cycling

Careless cycling is an offence committed by anyone cycling on a road without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration of others. 

The maximum penalty for careless cycling is £1,000. 

Careless cycling is an offence under section 29 of the Road Traffic Act 1988(link is external). 

The “reasonable consideration” is what might cause trouble, but in practice I’m sure it would need to be pretty extreme.

easily
    Free Member

People riding bikes are not ‘blocking the road’. They might be going a bit slower than you’d like to travel, but that’s not the same thing.
    As long as they’re not riding more than two abreast you’ll just have to calm down and accept it, just as you have to when eg a tractor is on the road.

nofx
    Free Member

Easily. Tractors are supposed to get out of the way. I can’t be bothered to find a link. But I’m right. The op asked for controversial, it looks like I gave it to them 😊

bikebouy
    Free Member

Am bored of the standard MvdP solo CX time trial that most races end up as.

I hear watching football is popular.

slowoldman

Imagine if I drove at 15mph in front of you for miles,would that be OK with you?

Miles you say? Well I have often driven behind cyclists waiting for a safe place to pass but never “for miles”.

TiRed

Cycling two abreast should be encouraged since it makes overtaking a shorter obstacle much easier.

Cycling two abreast should be outlawed because it obstructs… actually forget that, cycling on roads should be outlawed.

If a cycle path is available, its use should be mandated.

funkmasterp

Bicycles should pay road tax and have license plates innit.

kerley
    Free Member

Cycling in long chains should be illegal as it does make it very hard to pass. And yes you could be following a group of 10 cyclists riding 2 a breast and not be able to over take them for miles where I live. Doesn’t happen often, in fact far less than me getting stuck behind a horse box that is not travelling much faster than the cyclists and I was stuck behind a horse box for 5 miles just yesterday.

DezB
    Free Member

Other people’s riding stats are one of the least interesting things in the whole world (wide web).

athgray
    Free Member

All bikes on public roads to have a 1.5m long overtaking lollipop attached.

I wouldn’t mind it as it would give a clear indication for all drivers, but I dont think it would be popular with cyclists that want that room on their right only when it suits them.

DezB
    Free Member

The cyclist haters on this forum should **** off and join pistonheads, where they can chat with like-minded morons.

easily
    Free Member

athgray

You’re nearly right: All cars should have an overtaking 1.5m lollipop on the left.

Kerley

You’re nearly right: Cars should not be allowed to drive in long chains, as it makes it hard for cyclists to get past them when they are inevitably jammed.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You’re nearly right: Cars should not be allowed to drive in long chains, as it makes it hard for cyclists to get past them when they are inevitably jammed.

That’s the riders fault for fitting stupid broomstick bars then isn’t it?

The cyclist haters on this forum should **** off and join pistonheads, where they can chat with like-minded morons.

Or maybe the cyclists could piss off and join a cycling forum 😉

easily
    Free Member

nofx

stupid ≠ controversial

Northwind

squirrelking

I’m referring to the amount of folk on here that seem to think they know better than the manufacturers and buy a large sized bike despite being average height and at the medium point on the recommendation scale.

OK so, at which point did the manufacturers get it exactly right? Because today’s mediums are often longer and reachier than XLs of just a few years ago, and sizing differs massively even in the same model years across manufacturers. My size large Remedy was almost exactly the same size as my size medium trailfox.

(ChrisL of this parish used to use the length of his XL Mojo as an excuse for not being able to do tight stuff, but it turned out after literal years of this that my medium Hemlock was actually longer. Best day ever)

A medium enduro today is almost exactly 4 inches longer than the medium enduro in 2010. The longest 2010 enduro is shorter than the smallest 2020.

Truth is, anyone who 2-5 years ago thought “I’d better go up a size” has every right to think they knew better than manufacturers- and the manufacturers apparently agree since they’ve made the same changes. There’s never been a time in the last decade where that wasn’t true, either (weird attempts to make short 29ers aside, but that was always just marketing)

athgray
    Free Member

You’re nearly right: All cars should have an overtaking 1.5m lollipop on the left.

That would put the lollipop on the kerb side of traffic, which is not suitable on narrow roads. Far better to have the lollipop away from the pavement side and pedestrian footpaths. That puts it back on bicycles I am afraid.

squirrelking
    Free Member

OK so, at which point did the manufacturers get it exactly right?

**** knows. Trailstar Mk2?

I’m probably just making my own way round the curve on this one and haven’t bought into the emperors new clothes whole long low slack thing. It just seems **** insane that a bike designed for all day Bikepacking and shiz is being specced with a 90mm longer top tube than my hybrid which is designed for comfort. I sacked off my oversized road bike over less.

And it’s becoming less controversial the more it gets discussed so quit it! 😉

doordonot
    Free Member

Cycle on the side of the cycle path relative to the side of the road that is driven on. Drive on the left hand side of the road? Ergo, cycle on the left-hand side of the cycle path.

Wearing all black cycling kit does not make it easier to spot a cyclist on the road, in the low sunlight, with no bike lights.

eMtbs are a worthy inclusion for specific areas of training.

RustySpanner

Strava is a huge pile of self important, childish toss.
    Get your hedge cut.

If you insist on wearing an all black outfit, don’t complain when no one can see you.

Factory built wheels are awful.

Suspension is simple.

‘Premium’ branded bikes are usually ridden by snobs.

Watches are simply male jewellery.

No one who has more than two kids, a dog or runs a wood burner whilst living in a city really gives a shit about the environment.

Traditional leather saddles are an affectation.

Ortleib panniers aren’t as good as people make out.

If you don’t ride in the winter, or the rain, or the mud, you’re a wimp.

If you have a winter road bike, your summer bike costs too much.

Happy new year everyone!

kerley
    Free Member

Agree with pretty every one of those apart from the 2 kids. Having any kids means you don’t give a shit about the environment as it is not like we need to increase the population or keep a civilisation going

rone

Having any kids means you don’t give a shit about the environment as it is not like we need to increase the population or keep a civilisation going

Yeah plant based diet versus having kids. 0.82 tonnes CO2 saving v 58 tonnes a year.

Vegan parents.

funkmasterp

How is the number of children you have in any way a controversial cycling opinion?

130mm of fork travel is the maximum needed for UK riding

kerley
    Free Member

How is the number of children you have in any way a controversial cycling opinion?

Because when they are 8 they will want an e-bike. Lazy little bastards.

northernsoul

Get your hedge cut.

No-one cares about your creative hub.

sirromj

Bicycle component installation diagrams should be ambivalent to help keep bicycle shops in business.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Wearing all black cycling kit does not make it easier to spot a cyclist on the road, in the low sunlight, with no bike lights.

A lot of MAMILs are hoping black is slimming.

slowoldman

Strava is a huge pile of self important, childish toss

I thought these were supposed to be controversial?

bigblackshed

Not controversial, but a reply to all of those who don’t understand bike geometry.

Try comparing the stem length and bar width of your new bike to one of 10 years ago.

LLS is shit for anyone who likes riding up, along, down.

paton
    Free Member

oldnpastit

LLS is shit for anyone who likes riding up, along, down.

Not trying to be rude, but have you actually ridden one? My FlareMax is faster in all those directions than all of the other bikes I’ve owned over the years. My first ‘proper’ HT (2000 era Kona) had some crazy steep head angle and 560mm bars. It was rubbish at all of those things in comparison. The one thing it was good at was launching me over the bars, at which it excelled.

ransos
    Free Member

Agree with pretty every one of those apart from the 2 kids. Having any kids means you don’t give a shit about the environment as it is not like we need to increase the population or keep a civilisation going

All those moaning about over-population are deflecting attention away from their consumerist lifestyles.

crazy-legs

Strava is a huge pile of self important, childish toss.

Strava is a very useful tool.

However, people are now too stupid to ride without mulitple electronic thingies telling them where they are, where they need to be, how fast they’re going to get there and a host of other wildly unimportant* crap. Most people spend longer looking at their various devices than they do actually enjoying the ride.

* I can see how it might be important if you’re a World Tour rider and your coach needs some stats but for the average MAMIL going to and from a cafe, it’s slight overkill.

teethgrinder

Edit: new forum page numbering is superb

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 552 total)

The topic ‘Controversial cycling opinions? Let’s hear ’em!’ is closed to new replies.