Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Control your laughter – tips to train my wife (at mountian biking)!
  • julzm
    Free Member

My OH and I started mtb at the same time but he used to do motocross racing so was used to how the bike moved about under him. I was really struggling at first but got a one to one private tuition from Andy at ridelines at glentress one rainy Friday and have never looked back. Can comfortably do reds and most blacks now ( been riding 8 months). Andy was great – can still hear him saying I could do reds no probs when I’d told him I was too scared to do them.

Just ordered a new bike – soon as I get it going back to Andy for another 1to1 to pick up on a few things. I’d highly recommend him for your missus. Top guy.

scarlett
    Free Member

There speaketh a man with a happy relationship… 🙂

OP, as a mountain biking girl who only started due to my boyf here’s how I see it…

Make sure she has a good bike that she likes and make sure it works. When she’s already out of her comfort zone a crappy gear change or ineffective brakes won’t fill her with confidence or enthusiasm. My first proper bike was a Specialized Camber, after a couple of years riding old hard tails and struggling with them it was a revelation and one of the best things I could have done. As my riding progressed I realised that it was actually too big for me so I sold it for a Giant Trance, I never got on with the Trance or it’s sketchy gear change and totally lost interest. Hell if she want’s a bike painted in pink glitter then do it no matter how stupid you feel being seen with her!

Same goes for equipment – I found having the right trainer and pedal combo made a huge difference. As does a good jacket/helmet/gloves.

Loose the attitude. This thread title makes it sound like you couldn’t care less, she’ll soon pick that up and you’ll cause yourself no end of grief.

When you go out with her don’t grudge the time spent on tow paths etc. All time spent on a bike is a good thing, being with her doing it is a bonus, if it’s not then why bother at all? Equally she needs to understand that you need to ride without her to do the stuff you want and she should be happy to let you.

Find a good local skills coach, maybe even a female specific trainer/group, and encourage her to go. She will probably struggle to take advice from you – I can’t take instruction from my boyf, nor him me – so leave it to a professional.

Don’t over face her, that doesnt mean never go near a hill but be mindfull of her fitness and ability as it grows. Just because you can roll the steep chute with the rocky berm at the end doesn’t mean she can. Start small and build it up, theres nothing more motivating than feeling like your improving.

Personally I’m a fairly outdoorsy girl, I like the rain and mud (we have horses) and going fast. My bf knows he can bugger off down the hill at speed and I’ll make my own way down, he also knows I hate him being condecending or treating me like a child. Find out how your OH wants you to treat her – should you stop when she is far behind? Does she want coached through the tough bits? Do you need to help her strip the bike to put it in the car?

It’s not rocket science, honest 🙂

I’ve gone from my only bike experience being a road bike in my early teens (20 years ago) to last week picking up a Pitch Pro in preparation for a week in the Alps later this year (my first ever proper holiday!) and I can’t wait. I’m not the fastest or the bravest on a bike but I love it, my bf has been brilliant, plus he loves the fact my interest in bikes means that bikes in the lounge, parts in bits all over the kitchen table, Follow Me in the dvd player and an eBay watch list full of Lyriks, shifters and full face helmets is the norm.

It goes both ways though – I have been into horses for years and bf has immersed himself in it too, he has a horse, rides when he can and takes a huge interest in the horses, my riding/training and all the kit involved. I only got on a bike because I felt guilty about the amount of time he spent doing my ‘stuff’… If only I’d known then!

Good luck!

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

chrisdw
    Free Member

That video was spot on!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Patience. Babysteps and some coaching are your friend.

Many years ago mrs sweaman2’s first bike was a rigid hardrock. Now she is happy riding black routes in British Columbia on a Blur LTc and on the right trail is faster than me. Good times.

skindog
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice!

I think that we can manage some introductory training at weekends without ruining my bigger rides with the lads. I’ll certainly get some better training for her too.

Luckily I got her a decent bike and she has some decent kit. Heading out tomorrow.

Cheers,

Skindog

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Control your laughter – tips to train my wife (at mountian biking)!’ is closed to new replies.